Share This Page:

Royal Irish Regiment

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
BenChug

Royal Irish Regiment

Post by BenChug »

I've a few questions about them whats with this "Home Service Battalion" thing, does that just mean they spend most of there time mucking about in garrison?
And why what role do they play in the 16th AA Battalion, I may be ignorant but I was watching CNN and I didn't realize they were into that kinda thing, unless of couse helicopter assaults dropping them off are a standard thing in the British Army. (And if so how I envy you.)
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
K24io

Post by K24io »

Home service means they serve in NI constantly, not quite mucking about.

They are helicopter assault part of 16 AAB, in other words they are meant to be dropped in by heli every time!

A decent unit, got to say that as the fluff has family in it.
ABI

Post by ABI »

RIR are currently in the Air-Landing role as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade as well as undertaking heli ops they would also carryout TALO type insertions, as do the Para Battlions.

The Air-Landing element of the Brigade changes every so many years and from memory the Gurkhas and Fusiliers have both done it in the past.
DelD

RIR

Post by DelD »

K24io hit the nail on the head, it may have calmed down a lot temporarily, but the Home Service batallions do a very difficult job in Northern Ireland, a far cry form mucking around in barracks.

The Regimental history of the UDR is a very interesting and thought provoking read if anyone wants a military history book to read.
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

Thank yah kindly.
lew

Post by lew »

I have a question, are the royal Irish guard a part of the royal Irish regt or a separate regt all together. I only ask as my former coach has recently joined the guard and I’ve heard rumours on this site that there being disbanded to appease Irish nationalists???
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
DelD

Post by DelD »

Not sure what you mean by Royal Irish Guard, can you clarify before I go further.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

The Guards, are the abbreviation of the Garda Siohr Cohnna (spelling) Irelands police force.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

I think he means Irish Guards, not royal Irish guards. And yes they are a different regiment than the royal irish regiment. Dunno about them being disbanded though.
DelD

Post by DelD »

As my esteemed colleague from Canada points out I think you are getting confused between a number of different organisations. If this will help here is a brief explanation
1. Royal Irish Regiment- Infantry regiment of the British Army which has a general service batallion and uniquely a number (3 I think) of Home Service batallions who operate in the military aid to the civil powers role only ( ie fighting terrorists), in Northern Ireland.They ( the Home service batallions) are rumoured to be being disbanded to appease Irish nationalists
2. Irish Guards- Regiment of Foot Guards of the British Army.
3. An Garda Siochanna- Police service of the Republic of Ireland. (translates as "the civil guards")
Midshipman786

Post by Midshipman786 »

i thought "Home Service" battalions meant they were all locally recruited like the old UDR?
DelD

Post by DelD »

Yes they are locally recruited having been formed into the RIR with the amalgamation of the UDR and the Royal Irish Rangers
may18

Post by may18 »

The news said this morning they are to be disbanded
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

could someone from scotland join a Home Service battalion?
josephwells

RIR

Post by josephwells »

I think you can join the RIR if you want to.

I am am English guy who has lived here in N Ireland for some time now. One thing I can tell you is that the RIR part timers are generally pretty rude. I have come across all regiments here and Brit soldiers are always polite and courteous.

This is my own personal experience, it would be wrong to tar all with the same brush.

JW