Share This Page:

Religion is simply b****x

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

Tab wrote:Redhand, You state that the Inquestion was only blip in history, well it is more like a large stain. Try telling any Catholic in Ireland that Cromwell was a mere blip in history, and see what they say, please let me know when you are going to do this as I would like to watch another little blip appear. Even in this part of Southern England they still burn the Popes effigy every year to remind every one of Bloody Marys Reign of terror, and that was only 500 years ago.
Well i'd hate to burst Irelands bubble...but that was...yep...just a blip. My point isn't to 'excuse' the wrongs that have been done, it's to point out that their anomalies in the grand scheme of things.

I find it funny I'm defending the RC's of all people. My Grandpa constantly goes on about our Irish Protestant/Loyalist blood and how his brothers used to throw Catholics who were voting for the wrong political party in their riding off bridges or something to that effect (more blips :).

But alas! Soon i will be in the British Army...and just think of the possibilites!!

I'll start a campaign of mass conversion and upheaval similar to what cromwell did.

There will all sorts of fun stuff...stake burnings, bridge tossings...effigy burnings on my R&R :P
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Whitey old pal, once again your posts have given me food for thought. I just hope you weren't referring to me in this post because I never said i don't believe in a god. I don't have all the answers, nor does anyone on this planet. What I do find hard to swallow, though, is the Bible. Written by men hundreds of years ago, as a sort of rule book. And there are so many religions, how are we to know which one is "correct?" For instance, if the bible is true, will all muslims/hindis etc. burn in hell for not having faith in the right book? As you said, god may not have "spoken" to me yet, but he's taken a brother and sister from me, and my mother hasnt gotten over it, even though my brother died 19 years ago. He moves in mysterious ways? hmmmm. I'm not rooting for sympathy, shit happens. It's just that god has never done much for me, so i have doubts. If he's going to punish me for having doubts after all the sh*t he's given me, then he's not a god I want to worship. And if he is up there, what is it that he actually does? We all have our opinions, but none of us know the answers, at the and of the day.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

No Bigbart I wasn't thinking of you when I said what I said. As to your family, Bart I don't think the lord takes anyone, I think we all just have our time here. Plus if you believe in God your life to agree with Redhand is a blip here. It is the everlasting life that comes after that is important. I'm very sorry to hear about your family btw, but if you read the scripture and if you believe in the lord I'm almost certian unless we just turn into balls of energy you will see them again in Heaven.
As to the Bible being written by men, sure it was under the guidance of God. It is the re-written x 1000 times bible I do question. We speak English here, but just ask the mod's how often I must explain to them what I meant in a pm. We lose alot in translation.
God could be a life form from another galaxy, who knows? There are billions of questions. But I don't think God wants us to kill for him, he can do that himself, nor bully or try to force our religious will upon others. If the lord speaks to you and wants you to listen you will. We are just people he made, not to cheapen our lives, but to God we are probably like a bunch of Privates squabbling with no NCO's to direct us I'm sure. We have no real power or authority.
But as a man who studies science I have to say I find evidence that God exists all the time. There are just too many coincidences. I think I said earlier and I'll say it again, and this is to everyone. We all have feet of clay, we are all imperfect humans, and we all doubt God, I'm sure we all have and some don't believe and others hate the lord, but the lord doesn't doubt you, he belives in you and hasn't forgotten you.
Had that been the case we'd done ourselves in long ago.
I don't know and won't offer up an explaination nor pretend to have one Bigbart as to why we pass on when we do or why. The way I personally see it myself is that we all are here for a reason, maybe not for ourselves but for others. Again I don't know, I don't think anyone but God knows.
The bible isn't a bad thing though, just vague on some things, riddles on others and black and white on alot of things.
Don't give up Bart, I have a feeling he won't let you anyway. :D
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

This has turned from a thread where someone says that religion in general is a load of tosh, to one where a lot of people are getting defensive/aggressive about Christianity.

Personally I am secure enough in my beliefs not to get involved in an argument about them. Even within one religion there can be so many variations of faith, how can people across different faiths (including non-religious ones) possibly ever agree? The only answer I have is that I believe what I choose, you believe what you choose, but we are both still fighting on the same side. The same things are important to both of us: family, friends and freedom. (Obviously there's a lot of other things, but they are generally at the top of most of our lists, no?)

Time to shut this thread down and be friends again?
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Mince

Post by Mince »

El Prez wrote:C'est la Vie. :roll:

There should also be an acute accent over the e of C'est, but I can't be bothered.

A bored Moderator. Who did not make any changes to your posts. :roll:
There's no accent in "c'est".
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Bootie, how can you be Christian wear a cross around your neck and not believe in Jesus. That is the whole point Christianity was started by Jesus Christ and his followers.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Mince, there is when I write in French! :lol:

It was a long time ago. :roll:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
saffer

Post by saffer »

Well, Redhand what are you talking about?

Are you defending your faith, or democracy?

I beleive that the Bible is a book written to announce, uphold and give meaning to our human values.

I do not believe there is a God that exists as per say. However, I have and will in the future nodoubt call upon him to help me through hard times. Due to this, I beleive that God is something that exits within yourself that you created.

There is scientific proof that Jesus lived. Albeit he was married to a lady called Mary Magdalene. I imagine a few people here, (Frank?) would have heard of the priory of sion.

I dont know to much about this cult, but the general idea is that this is an organisation opposed to the church. Leanordo Da Vinci headed it for a while.

Any one that beleives in God in the true sense, and not my weird way, can you honestly tell me that you beleive that the world was created in 6 days?! Can you tell me that you beleive that all humans came from Adam and Eve?!

If you can then this is fine.

In my own opinion, take it or leave it, I would like to say that it is naive but this is not the right word, I think I mean innocent.

I have been to church on several occasions, funerals, weddings, and christsmas services. I did not really take any of it in, as I was to young, upset or uninterested.
The first time I was interested was at a christening I went to a while back, and I sat and listened to what the church had to say.
I gave the church a chance to persuade me, enlighten me, or guide me, one of the three anyway.
All I found were threats. The church, and the belief that was been upheld were threatning people not to sin or go against God and his values.

Many thousands of years ago this may have been the way to educate people to follow a common principle in society. We have come along way from those days.

I will continue to believe in "my" God. I will continue to call on him for help, and I will continue to look to the Bible for guidence. However I will not fall to the threats that are put to me by preachers.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Hyperlithe wrote:This has turned from a thread where someone says that religion in general is a load of tosh, to one where a lot of people are getting defensive/aggressive about Christianity.

Personally I am secure enough in my beliefs not to get involved in an argument about them. Even within one religion there can be so many variations of faith, how can people across different faiths (including non-religious ones) possibly ever agree? The only answer I have is that I believe what I choose, you believe what you choose, but we are both still fighting on the same side. The same things are important to both of us: family, friends and freedom. (Obviously there's a lot of other things, but they are generally at the top of most of our lists, no?)

Time to shut this thread down and be friends again?
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Good proof that religion causes war! No matter where it might manifest :D
Poony

Post by Poony »

have not read the whole post but in short i agree...religion is bollox.
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

Good Proof that Religion Causes War>> Middle East Conflict.

Longest Conflict in the 20th century!! All over religion and possibly greed
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

saffer wrote:Well, Redhand what are you talking about?

Are you defending your faith, or democracy?

I beleive that the Bible is a book written to announce, uphold and give meaning to our human values.

I do not believe there is a God that exists as per say. However, I have and will in the future nodoubt call upon him to help me through hard times. Due to this, I beleive that God is something that exits within yourself that you created.

There is scientific proof that Jesus lived. Albeit he was married to a lady called Mary Magdalene. I imagine a few people here, (Frank?) would have heard of the priory of sion.

I dont know to much about this cult, but the general idea is that this is an organisation opposed to the church. Leanordo Da Vinci headed it for a while.

Any one that beleives in God in the true sense, and not my weird way, can you honestly tell me that you beleive that the world was created in 6 days?! Can you tell me that you beleive that all humans came from Adam and Eve?!

If you can then this is fine.

In my own opinion, take it or leave it, I would like to say that it is naive but this is not the right word, I think I mean innocent.

I have been to church on several occasions, funerals, weddings, and christsmas services. I did not really take any of it in, as I was to young, upset or uninterested.
The first time I was interested was at a christening I went to a while back, and I sat and listened to what the church had to say.
I gave the church a chance to persuade me, enlighten me, or guide me, one of the three anyway.
All I found were threats. The church, and the belief that was been upheld were threatning people not to sin or go against God and his values.

Many thousands of years ago this may have been the way to educate people to follow a common principle in society. We have come along way from those days.

I will continue to believe in "my" God. I will continue to call on him for help, and I will continue to look to the Bible for guidence. However I will not fall to the threats that are put to me by preachers.
Now hold on saffer. Don't try and pass the 'da vinci code' off as proof of anything. It has many serious logical shortcomings, and lots just plain doesn't connect, similar to movies by Michael Moore.

I guess another aspect of religion that people don't understand (particularily Christianity and Islam) is these comments alot of you toss about "Religion is balls" "Christ was married to M.M." (thus makin him a liar). etc etc.

It's like if i walked up to you and said "hey man, everything you've based your life on is a pile of s**t and your Dad is a f****n liar". If i were to infact say that to you (at a pub say), you would most likely smash my face in...as i would u.

Alot of u seem so perplexed as to what drives religions to do the things they do. All i can best sum it up to is like feelings of defending ones own family. NOW...don't run amok with what i said, that doesn't EXCUSE religous atrocities in any way, shape or form. But can you see what i'm getting at??
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Hoi, GO, catch!!!!!! :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

GARRYOWEN wrote:Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
me:"NOW...don't run amok with what i said, that doesn't EXCUSE religous atrocities in any way, shape or form."

??????????