Share This Page:

Blood

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Hyperlithe

Blood

Post by Hyperlithe »

I'd like to just remind everyone that the NHS blood stocks are starting to get low again. None of us ever know when we might be in a position to need it, so I would urge as many of you as possible to go along and make a donation. Particularly anyone with type O- blood...

You can go to the website below to find your nearest session.

http://www.blood.co.uk
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I have o neg. Blood of rebels.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

So there you went Don.
Give me a call,
you know the drill.
Sorry Hype's for the hi-jack.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Wholley I just got back in from Africa. I'll call in a week or so. I've got to catch a boat to the islands right now. I will call, lots to talk about.

Back on topic I have O neg blood, the blood of original man. I'll keep my blood, it'll just go to the A pos anyway.

I've seen the red cross sell blood overseas.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Paddysprat

Post by Paddysprat »

Whitey wrote:Back on topic I have O neg blood, the blood of original man. I'll keep my blood, it'll just go to the A pos anyway.

I've seen the red cross sell blood overseas.
Pretty pointless remark from where I'm sat.

Hyper, thanks for reminding me. I'll see what can be done, although I had a particular illness when I was a kid which prevented me giving blood at the time. Don't know if this precludes me or not any more, I'll check it out.
'Paddysprat' a phrase used when explaining the origins of an 'Army Brats' accent.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I spent 10 years in medicine and did a total of 2 blood transfusions.
Even back in the 90's artificial blood was the prefered choice due to HCV and HIV.
I have to wonder what all this shortage advertising is about? Even in Iraq I'd wager most of the casualties are given artificial blood.

Now some cancers I can see, but family members often provide for that.
I just wonder if this is more of the Red Cross and other agencies looking to sell clean blood to Africa. I see this often.

And about my O neg comment, sorry but the A pos can give to the A pos.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

The first time I gave blood, at the age of 18, I was told that it was being sent to the Special Care Baby Unit at Bristol Royal Infirmary.

No idea if it was true or not, but it was a nice thought.
They don't just need blood donors, they also need platelet donors (have to be male for that for some reason) and bone marrow donors as well.

My ex has leukaemia, which is one of the reasons I'm pushing this. I'm sure other members know of people who've needed blood transfusions, bone marrow transplants and the like.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

I'm in Germany so can't at the moment. I'm on the bone marrow list though. Everybody should give blood where possible.
Waiting for my rocket to come.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Donors have to be 18+ don't they?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Yes, 18-65.
I know, that rules out half the people on the forums, one way or the other... :wink: :lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

My age prevents me, although it is much sort after being one of the rarer groups.