Share This Page:

EXCHANGE

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
schmoo

EXCHANGE

Post by schmoo »

Evening people!

I was just wondering if anyone here took part in the military foreign exchange program? I can already see a bunch of comical comments coming forth:) But I wouldn't mind serving with the UK Navy since, we have a few of your blokes. If there isn't anyone that's cool, I can research. :lilangel:
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

We had a few septic pilots on exchange with the Royal Air Force in the 1970's, one bloke pranged a Lightning.

We're not foreign, you are. lol
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Hi Schmoo,

I did two years on exchange with the American Forces. Loved every minute. There were, of course problems because the Americans have a different mindset - but it didn't stop us working together.

I love the American way of life. My two years, totally changed my way of thinking about America.

If you get the chance to do an exchange programme then go for it. You will love it. One thing you will notice is that we spell "programme" as is.
You spell it program, I believe. This is something you will have to get used to!! When in Rome etc.!!!

Hope you get your posting and that you enjoy it.

I am of course assuming that you are genuinely in the USN and not a Walter or Wannabee.
I do get fed up with those sort of questions.

Good Luck,

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
schmoo

HA

Post by schmoo »

Thanks for the email beaky, yes I've been in 9 years next May. Stationed in London for my first 3, what luck! Hawaii the last 5, and about to leave Friday for some training before I'm off somewhere else. I know there's lots of Aussies over here, (how do they get everywhere?:) but only one British CDR right now. Other wise the only billets I can take are in Harrogate and Cornwall.

Oh BritAfrica, I said foreign because that's what its called the 'foreign exchange program' I wasn't calling you guy's foreign(?)
Are you in the military stationed over there, or a African with citizenship? Just trying to work out the name :)
BritinAfrica

Re: HA

Post by BritinAfrica »

schmoo wrote:Oh BritAfrica, I said foreign because that's what its called the 'foreign exchange program' I wasn't calling you guy's foreign(?)
Are you in the military stationed over there, or a African with citizenship? Just trying to work out the name :)
lol.

No I'm not serving anymore, I was born in London and joined the RAF for 5 years at 17 years of age, after the RAF I joined the Territorial Army and did 15 years, 5 in the Queens (infanty) and 10 in the Royal Corps of Transport. I moved to South Africa from UK in 1993, hence Brit in Africa or BritinAfrica. Now I want to move back to UK and become BritinBlighty lol

:drinking: I miss a good pint of Guiness :drinking:
schmoo

He He

Post by schmoo »

Guinness? Ewe! You mean that black, thick syrupy lookin thing? Yuk, I have to admit the beer's like nats pee pee over here :cry: But the liquors , cocktails are great! :drinking: Everyone I've spoke to said British beer is the bomb!
BritinAfrica

Re: He He

Post by BritinAfrica »

schmoo wrote:Guinness? Ewe! You mean that black, thick syrupy lookin thing? Yuk!
LOL Guiness is an aquired taste, a good pint will have a thick white head all the way down the glass. I remember a pub near where I lived just outside London, served beer straight from the wooden barrel, it was like nectar, food of the gods. :drinking:

If you go down to the West Country in UK, stay away from the scrumpy cider, you'll die if you don't! Its tastes wonderful, then hits you around the back of the head like a 14 pound hammer. :silly:

If you start drinking cocktails with Brits, they are going to look sideways at you. lol

British beer is a bomb? Is that good or bad?
schmoo

he he

Post by schmoo »

The bomb is good, I was going to say the sh$t but I didn't think that was very bloody lady like, if you know what I mean :lilangel:

I remember drinking snake bites; cider is great!! I'm starting to sound like an alky! When I was in Al U died, I pretended I was part of the British group so I could go to the Muff bar!!!! Ha Ha, the only place to get booze on base! You know the Americans, all anal and everything! THey allowed us to have 3 drinks a night (little ones) I used to stack them (buy them and pour in a bottle) and drink them all on Friday! I even took a flight...well never mind :lol: I swear I haven't drank in months! I probably need one though :drinking:
BritinAfrica

Re: he he

Post by BritinAfrica »

schmoo wrote:The bomb is good, I was going to say the sh$t but I didn't think that was very bloody lady like, if you know what I mean :lilangel:

I remember drinking snake bites; cider is great!!
Scumpy cider tastes the bee's knees, but then it hits you as I said before. If you value your brains cells, stay away from it lol.

A REALLY crap beer is Watneys Red Barrel. A bloke walked into a London pub and asked if they served Red Barrel, the barman said they didnt, but had something similar and was free. He gave the bloke a pint of water lol.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

When I did my RAF Regiment trade training at RAF Catterick one of our training officers was a Captain from the USAF CSP, which meant that an RAF Regt Flight Lt. was serving with the CSP in the US.