Share This Page:

Serious Question about Joining and previous military...

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Skanza

Serious Question about Joining and previous military...

Post by Skanza »

Ok, I may get grilled for asking this question, but this is outright serious.

I am a multi-national. I hold a British and Norwegian passport.

Now, I am soon to be called for my National Service in the Norwegian Military. I can of course deny it as I am half British.

However what if I was to take a year of conscription, would that eliminate me from any potential of joining the British armed forces later on?

I know it sounds very fishy this. Some may ask why would I want to, but a part of me belongs to both nations, as my father is from the Uk and my mother is Norwegian.

Once again, I know I may be called a walt or whatever, but there's no harm in asking.

Cheers
[b]"Pain is weakness leaving the body"[/b]
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Of course not!!!

Serving for a year in Norway's Armed Forces would probably enhance your chances of serving with the British lot!

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

I'm with Sneaks on this,it can only work to your advantage.

SH
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Perfectly reasonable question to ask.......

If you were dual national Iraqi/Brit or Iranian/Brit or even Chinese/Brit having served in their armies then there may be more eyebrows raised :D .....but Noggies? Would have thought it would be a positive benefit to a unit having someone able to speak the lingo ... You'd probably find yourself helping to organise Adventure Training exercises in Norway all the time mind..

We don't take the piss out of EVERY poster on here!!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

sportbilly42 wrote:Perfectly
We don't take the piss out of EVERY poster on here!!
Oh yes we do :D
You need to sort your avatar,it's more annoying than Holger's cat 8)
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you live there then share the burden also with dual Nationality you can't really chose the bits of citizenship you want and the bits the don't any way you might just enjoy it.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Looks like we may be needing a thread for "Most Annoying Avatar Of The Week Award"

I nominate that epileptic kitten that Holger has.
Kiwi1988

Post by Kiwi1988 »

Illustrious wrote:Looks like we may be needing a thread for "Most Annoying Avatar Of The Week Award"

I nominate that epileptic kitten that Holger has.
Haha I thought it was good :wink:
owdun

Post by owdun »

Could at least polish the badge if you intend to use it as avatar,GET ON THE FLANK. :D :D

Owdun. :evil:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Polish a bronze cap badge? :-?
How long have you been off your meds, Frank? 8)

Which part of Nog Armed Forces will you go into Skanz? And what`s your preference with UK
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

for the Noggs i'm not entirely sure. But I'm looking towards either the HMKG (Kings Guards) or the MPs for my national service.

In UK I'm looking at the RMC.
[b]"Pain is weakness leaving the body"[/b]
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Hej Skanza,

I agree with the others, national service in Norway - another Nato country -can only increase your chances.

And just for info, when I contacted the Swedish TA (Hemvärnet) a few years ago, they had only two requirmeents 1. You had to have done Swedish national service and 2. Be a Swedish citizen.

I told them I was an Irish citizen and they told me that my RAF service counted but that I needed to become a Swedish citizen (which I still haven't done) or dual Irish-Swedish.

Now, there is only one requirement for the Swedish TA - you just need to have Swedish citizenship. They scrapped the national service requirement last year, because so few youngsters are doing being selected for national service now. And the TA was struggling to fill spaces as it was.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Forsvarsnett

Defense Minister? I`d give her one
ImageHe`d have to give himself one, though :roll:

AVGJORDE. Britisk løytnant og troppsjef kaller inn og leder bombekasterild på den norske Panserbataljonen

These are the boys mate, not MPs ffs 8)
Do your best Skanz, and good luck :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Skanza bor du i Norge? Och kan du prata norsk?
Last edited by London Boy on Wed 19 Mar, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

AVGJORDE. Britisk løytnant og troppsjef kaller inn og leder bombekasterild på den norske Panserbataljonen

ORDERS. A British Lt and a troop commander call in and direct fire support on the Norwegian armoured battalion.

Not 100% sure though if the Norwegian "avgjorde" means orders, like it does in a Swedish military context.