Share This Page:

El General

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
1664Kro

El General

Post by 1664Kro »

This might be a silly question :oops: But how does some one get to the rank of General, I know more about the generals from the olden days than from the guys controlling the military now, and what would be the best route for someone if their ambition was to become a general, just wondering and keeping my options open :lol:
When Evil Strives To Overcome Good, When Firepower is Greater Than The Spoken Word Then Death Rides A Winged Horse
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Start your own army, it's the easiest way
1664Kro

Post by 1664Kro »

I'm buggered then :cry:
Any one want to join my army?
I'm thinking of making a 4th Reich, pm me for application form, you wont regret it ! 8)
When Evil Strives To Overcome Good, When Firepower is Greater Than The Spoken Word Then Death Rides A Winged Horse
Tab

Post by Tab »

Learn to kiss butt
Chas

Post by Chas »

Learn to kiss butt........whose ? :lol:

Seriously from the rank of Half Colonel upwards it is
very political. Your face has to fit and you have to be
a' yes' man to the MoD and the politicians of the day.
Once you are a one star rank (Brigadier) it becomes
even worse. From then on sadly the 'brass' keeps its
nose clean to ensure the pension and the K. At that
point the men's welfare becomes secondary and the
Generals then only make noises from the safety of
their retirement. :evil:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
1664Kro

Post by 1664Kro »

Why are Generals so different now than they where 2000 years ago. Is it because of the ways wars are fought differently now a days or have we grown soft or maybe its something else? Just interested thats all, I'm quite fond of all the generals from the olden days they were very bold and I don't mean their head :lol:
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Gotovina
Check out this guy. He was a corporal in the foreign legion, but that was enough to make him a general in the croatian one! So moral is join a good army and then become a general in a third world army!
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

1664Kro wrote:Why are Generals so different now than they where 2000 years ago. Is it because of the ways wars are fought differently
A totally different world. Alexander was 21 when he became king. He'd already proved himself in battle at Chaeronea when, at 18, he commanded the heavy cavalry on the left wing. Bearing in mind he wouldn't have been given this job if he wasn't already proven in battle and respected by his men.

So, even without the differences in the technology of warfare, no-one these days could gain the experience and have had the opportunity to prove themselves in battle at that sort of age. Oh, and have the king as your dad!
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Chas wrote:Learn to kiss butt........whose ? :lol:

Seriously from the rank of Half Colonel upwards it is
very political. Your face has to fit and you have to be
a' yes' man to the MoD and the politicians of the day.
Once you are a one star rank (Brigadier) it becomes
even worse. From then on sadly the 'brass' keeps its
nose clean to ensure the pension and the K. At that
point the men's welfare becomes secondary and the
Generals then only make noises from the safety of
their retirement. :evil:
A bit of a jaded view. It really depends upon which army you look at, at what point in history, and in peace or war.

The Alexander the Great comparrison is a non-starter. The Greek army these days consists of better educated peasant sheep-shaggers than in wee gay Alex's day, but peasant sheep-shaggers nonetheless.

Don't forget that there are two career streams for senior officers: The command stream and the staff stream. It is possible to be a major general and not have commanded anything since a CO of a battalion. Yes, of course there is a certain political element, but that tends to be more prevalent in a peace-time army (which are few and far between these days). A more likely scenario is that those with the ability to command at higher levels continue to rise through the command stream, whereas those who reach the extent of their abilities in command, slide over to the staff stream as senior staff in higher HQ's or directorates and continue (or not) to move up through that line. The optimist would want to believe that the cream of command is rising to the top through natural selection. Of course, the reality is somewhere between that and the view quoted above. Face fitting? Yes, to a certain degree. Especially given the frequency with which said faces will appear in front of cameras these days and address issues directly related to the "party line". But those who command at the tactical level (battalion and below) have already experienced the challenge of higher command thought processes. They must, in order to properly understand the intent of their commanders one- and two-up and conduct their mission analysis correctly. But that and the true ability to focus energy at the operational and strategic levels, are two entirely different things. To properly engage the mind to function at such lofty realms requires not only advanced degrees of perception, cunning, and boldness of action, but it also demands a certain panache and finally a little luck. Even Napolean alluded to "luck" in his writings of the requisite commodities of a successful general. This "luck" is not merely for the battle field, either. Something as simple as a percieved word out of turn in front of the wrong person can set a senior offcier's career on quite a different path. But as one climbs higher (and the air becomes thinner :wink: ), of course there are fewer and fewer to chose from for the very top positions. How is it then, one wonders, that so many of our "top" generals appeared either eccentric, bull-headed, sever bastards, or even utter nut-jobs? The likely truth of it is that those are mere manifestations of what it takes to function at that level with the weight of command bearing down.

For some good insights, read up on Montgommery, or Mike Rose, or Wingate.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Mike Rose :P
Don`t make me larf :roll:
One of the best(and we are talking about the absolute very best there is ) to rise to the top of the Corps was binned at the last hurdle due to an innocent event in his private life which had no bearing on the man`s ability to command. He never kissed arse on his way up and he certainly never bothered once he was outside. He`d`ve made the best CGRM ever in my humble opinion and was a real "Commander" a real "Leader", as opposed to a mere man manager as per the Mikey Roses of this world who fit exactly the personal profile so accurately described by Chas. :P
Michael Rose is a farking idiot. 8)
I wouldn`t follow that dickhead even out of idle curiousity, a man who is the very definition of promotion beyond ability.
Er, no offence Mikey. Have you considered a job with Marks and Sparks? :-?
You should.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

..."mere man managers" don't get to be CO 22 SAS, Comd SAS Group, and Director Special Forces.

But then, there are those who have been singularly critical of Monty and others, too. 8)
1664Kro

Post by 1664Kro »

Cool it down kids or I'm gonna have to post some naked pics of myself :drinking: and you don't want that do you :drinking:
flighty

Post by flighty »

Dunno.

You could just try it. :o
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Agree to disagree then Anglo.
And
those who have been singularly critical of Monty
weren`t wrong mate
Wooden as a wooden box full of wood. Bridge too far? Seven p`s anyone?
No wonder Elmer didn`t like him :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

"Training School in Pau before joining the elite Commandos de Recherche et d'Action en Profondeur (CRAP)."

:D
Once....................... Always...tup, three