Share This Page:

GAP YEAR FOR PRIVATE SECURITY WORK

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
COMMANDO

GAP YEAR FOR PRIVATE SECURITY WORK

Post by COMMANDO »

People,
Reading a reputable paper with no breasts in i came across an article in which people in the barmy army and other mobs were being allowed a gap year to work in the stan or Iraq gain thier money and rejoin no questions . Allowed back with welcome arms . Insurance springs to mind and how it would be got round. Can anyone still in confirm this to be true .
The argument from the MOD is it would cost more to train a new soldier so giving the guys a year out means they still get thier guys back experience and all and let back at the same increment level they left. Sounds winning all round except some may not come back and secondly there are regulations coming in that may throw a spanner in the works anyway.
Views required!
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Good idea. Alot of guys would concider it, and come back to a stable career afterwards.

As you said the only problem being that blokes might stay out there. Not sure what the solution to this problem is.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

First i have heard of this, i think its an excellent idea.I love my job and dont want to give it up and i always said to myself i f i went out there it would only be for a year, just long enough to have the money for a house.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Would you be "on your own" though? Thats something that worries me a bit. It seems that anything could happen to you out there, and there's nobody to come after you or give you a hand if your in the shit.
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

We were talking about this the other day in the rest room, i havnt been over there since Telic 1, but one of the lads was over with 40 last year and he was mega impressed by a firm they were close to they had good experienced lads with good support,weapons and kit they also had a QRF he was very suprised.
COMMANDO

Private security work

Post by COMMANDO »

Depending on some companies there is a very good setup you seldom work alone a team is asigned to the client. Note getting started in the first place is difficult.
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Another thing...would the companies actually want people for just 1 year if they got wind of this new scheme? Surely they would want people on a slightly longer contract than 1 year :-?
COMMANDO

Post by COMMANDO »

THERE IS NO SECURITY IN SECURITY YOU ARE AN EXPENDABLE ASSET .
JUST LIKE THE MOB!!
However can anyone confirm this trait. :o
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
Doc

Post by Doc »

I can neither confirm, deny or wobble on the fence wondering to either confirm or deny. Oh hang on Im wobbling. :lol:

And a one year contract is a good shout in a mainly freelancers world. Some jobs last only a few days/weeks or months.

Lets hope that american job for 50+ works out eh Dan. Ive packed my brufen and tubigrip already so Im standing by :lol:
COMMANDO

Post by COMMANDO »

Roger that Doc, i'm bored of sitting infront of this laptop.
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Paratrooper01 wrote:...and come back to a stable career afterwards.
What, you mean after a year in Dad's bag, they send you to the armoured corps? That's a bit rough! Naaaaaay!
JJ_Adams

Post by JJ_Adams »

This situation offers many questions and concerns, here are just a few:

Who pays for your insurance..??
Whos kit do you use..??
What happens if you become injured or, god forbid, die..??
What happens if you get medically discharged due to a "Gap Year" injury..??
Do you have a retainer..??
What happens if you get promoted in theatre..??
How do you maintain your military qualifications..??
When do you do the Civi security training required..??
How does this period of time off affect your pension..??
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

There is VERY heavy competiton for these jobs, with many guys - and gals - trying to get into the sandpit for work, who have years of experience and courses behind them. Also not all companies have the best of reputations, at least those of us in the industry are aware of the cowboys. There's also a significant amount to pay out in the way of decent kit and financial cover before you even get on the kite to get out there, also a lot of hanging around, for which you don't get paid for (unless you are already a seasoned proven operator). Contracts are currently getting trimmed out there, and those operators being recruited generally have at least a tour of civi experience behind them.

Think long and hard before you chance a hard worked for military career for a "Gap Year" in an environment where you do not have the umbrella of the military to cover for you - it's rough out there for the now civi ex Military operators. Make sure that you do a hell of a lot of homework before you even consider it.

Just my VERY small bit of advice.
"JJ"

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bullshit before

"I'd rather have a moment of wonderful than a life time of nothing special"
COMMANDO

Post by COMMANDO »

We meet again JJ .
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
JJ_Adams

Post by JJ_Adams »

Heeeeey

Hi Dan..!!!!!