Share This Page:

Marines 'violent bullying' probed

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Chappy

Marines 'violent bullying' probed

Post by Chappy »

Allegations of bullying in the Royal Marines are being investigated after video footage emerged seemingly showing a new recruit being beaten unconscious.
Any views from the old and bold, a few ex paras whom served in the Falklands told me this was very common in their day, but faded out as time went on.
And we all know what Steven Preece had to say about this sort of thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4475034.stm
Mike

Post by Mike »

IF this report is true......I feel totally sick to the bottom of my stomach, as most of us will, it gives credence to Mr Preece’s novel.

I can honestly say that in the 10 years I was proud to be a Bootie I NEVER saw and bullying or any kind, Physical, Verbal or Mental. I had always thought that we were well above that, as our training was that rigorous that there was no need for this hideous behaviour...

Perhaps in today’s light, as our community’s behaviour has changed for the worse, this Is becoming prevalent...I sincerely hope not....But perhaps in my old age I have become a tad naive.

This will place Royals esteem down to the lowest level of a stinking Pongo.

A very SAD day

Aye
Mike

Mr Preece, please don't sit there and snigger "I told you so." I don't believe it now and I sure didn't believe it in your book
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

I was watching Breakfast on BBC1 just now and they wheeled one of these "military analysts" out into the studio. He claims this tape shows "recruits" in basic training, he also claims they are recruits to 42 commando and that 42 is a particularly elite unit in comparison to the rest of the RM. This I feel is where I feel that one video, real or not, begins to have such a negative effect on the military. If the BBC would get it's story straight it might help. This guy's comments are riddled with innacuracies; all of which I'm sure are clear from reading his comments above and his commentary differs drastically in substance from the report posted above. Also I would say that some of the supposed "recruits" appear much older than the maximum age on entry, so unless they've been in hunter for 5 years which I doubt very much, they cant be what its claimed they are. Finally, of all the people who have been through training on MF, none of them have mentioned anything of this kind, I find it hard to believe they just "forgot".
I hope that one day I earn the right to wear the green beret and lead others proud to call themselves Royal Marines; I for one will not be embarassed or shamed by cheap tabloid style reports taking pot shots because its a quiet news day :evil:
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

When was this any dates? How good was the video footage should be easy to tell if they were nods or not, also how do we know this video wasn't taken out of context.

Bullying does rear its head unfortuantley every now again, i for one dont tolerate any type of bullying be it mental or physical :evil: any one i catch doing so be it Recruit or Bootneck can stand by!
Doc

Post by Doc »

This wasnt bullyng though really, alcohol fueled games that got out of hand at the very worse.

Matey wth the camera was full of concern wasnt he, instead of going to the OC or SIB he sells his filmed concerns to the papers. Thats the fella who needs to be filled in.

Oh dear trained killers get pished during a banyan and theres some games involving fighting that get carried away. Knocked out booty doesnt want to press charges and I doubt for one minute its because his oppos are telling him to keep stum.

As per usual press blow it out of all proportion, whats next "Marines kill enemy in War shock horror" what do you want, our RM to be all kissy and cuddly?
Jenny ED

Post by Jenny ED »

Ok, we know there is a fine line between unnecessarily overbearing behaviour and the robust approach to training and discipline that the armed forces have to take to prepare their people for the harsh environment in which they operate. As, Stu said, the Media too are systematic in inciting a response from the public by printing stories about bullying in the armed forces, exaggerated to ensure this response. However, there is always that doubt, who can honestly say they can differentiate between, what did Stu say...

"Not bullyng but really, alcohol fueled games that got out of hand at the very worse ..."

Fine line indeed!
Tab

Post by Tab »

After all the troubles there have been over the last few years, why in gods name do they allow some prat to film it all. Once it is on film sooner or later it will wind up in wrong the hands. Now I would think that it must have been filmed by an instructor for a bit of as the squaddies would have been busy to film it. so it makes you wonder just who is running the nut house.
got1

Post by got1 »

Listen now to "Talk Sport" on 1089am. James Whale.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I`ve just watched the film and I cant see anyway to confirm the story behind it but the damage has already been done.

If recruiting is low at the minute, this isnt going to get waves of people to the AFCO. I cant see Mrs Jones letting 16 year old Timmy away from home to get his head kicked in my an Harold Shipman impersonator.
Last edited by Chappy on Sun 27 Nov, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Its going to look really bad unfortunatley, but how the general public expect young men who are trained to fight in the worst places the world can offer, and then not expect this kind of thing to happen is beyond me. Clearly this incedent went a little far maybe but its nout to do with anyone else and it farks me off when it gets in the papers and people who have no idea what Royal is all about suddenly have an opinion. This thing to a degree happens right from the start at CTC. After every un-armed combat period (which everyone enjoyed) we would have a few wrestling bouts, ususaly myself (being the smallest in the troop) and an oppo against one of the bigger lads.It was great fun and everyone enjoyed it, it bought the troop together and lifted spirits. So this one went a bit further, not surprising considering the alcohol, but so what? like Doc said none of the guys involved have complained as far as we know. I expect they got up the next day with a hangover and a head ache, looked at each other and said "what the fark were we doing last night?", then laughed about it and got on with day.
Jenny ED

Post by Jenny ED »

Having watched the footage I was a tad surprised at how fat these guys were, and they looked rather old???? Not a Scam is it? :roll:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Jenny ED wrote:Having watched the footage I was a tad surprised at how fat these guys were, and they looked rather old???? Not a Scam is it? :roll:
Not suggesting I was there I hope :roll: :lol:
Jenny ED

Post by Jenny ED »

Good god as if Stu... as if! :wink:
SO19

Post by SO19 »

I know what what you mean Jenny, they certainly 'looked older' than you might expect. They were probably just packing quite a bit of muscle.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Ste Preece

Re: Marines 'violent bullying' probed

Post by Ste Preece »

Chappy wrote:
Allegations of bullying in the Royal Marines are being investigated after video footage emerged seemingly showing a new recruit being beaten unconscious.
Any views from the old and bold, a few ex paras whom served in the Falklands told me this was very common in their day, but faded out as time went on.
And we all know what Steven Preece had to say about this sort of thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4475034.stm
Guys:

Today I got a call from NEWS 24 show room and have just turned down an offer to make comment on their show. I told them this:

These kind of things go on in all walks of life, not just the military. The incident that happened to me at the start of my career was over 22 years ago. From around 1990 onwards the Royal Marines did not tollerate any such kind of behaviour. I assured him that the Corps will take this matter very seriously and those involved will be dealt with, probably by court martial. My closing words were "I absolutely assure you, that this incident, will be a one off incident that got out of hand due to an excess amount of booze being consumed." "The Royal Marines will take this incident extremely serious and those involved will be suitably punished."

It wasn't what he wanted to hear, but we all know its the truth.

Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource