Share This Page:

Advice on Joining

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Janderson

Advice on Joining

Post by Janderson »

Howdy, I'm Janderson, 19. I'm a TA recruit - Leicester Yeomenry. I'm having a great time so far. Recently took a trip to Pirbright for a weekend, enjoyed the Assault Course, discovered a love for drill I probably inherited from my mother and had hearty vomitings all round.

After this little taste I decided that since this gap year has been the dumbest idea since I thought I could afford uni, I'd join this great proffesion properly. The thing is I don't know which corp I want to join.

What factors should I consider before choosing?
Hostage_Negotiator

Re: Advice on Joining

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Janderson wrote:discovered a love for drill I probably inherited from my mother

If you insist on making comments like that you will have to open a Direct Debit to replace members keyboards and monitors!! :lol:

Have you considered a career with the Royal Womens Balloon Corp?
(sshhhh!... they're SF you know!)
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Janderson
Not knowing you it would be unfair to advise you.
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What do you enjoy?
What are you good at?

Speak to someone in your TA unit (the regular would be a good idea or the CO) and ask them or go to your careers office and chat to them about it. They are skilled at placing people in jobs they will excell at and enjoy.

Welcome and good hunting
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
flighty

Post by flighty »

What's the problem with that, H_N?

I've had my kids drilling the garden since before they could walk.

And in response to the original question, I suggest you reserve your choice until you have done the 'No 6 Survival Training.'

Artist is doing pretty well for an owd bugger.

KiwiBen did OK with an overnight stay.

Doc has failed miserably. :drinking:

One night and the curtains are drawn. :roll:

Fark knows how he'll cope when the weekend kicks in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jayne xx
Hostage_Negotiator

Oi! You he's only a weekend crow at the mo!
He's not ready for the traumas of Phase 3 Survival at No6 Training Establishment!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
flighty

Post by flighty »

Clearly. :o

Can't wait to see how he manages when the lad gets home on Friday .... and the serious drinking starts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bring out your dead!

Tee hee!

Jayne xx

Another fine thread hi-jacked ..... :o
Hostage_Negotiator

"HIJACK" you say....
will you be requiring my services,ma'am?
flighty

Post by flighty »

And he will be sooooooon hacked off about missing the Take That prog.

Bloomin' riveting stuff ....... danced round the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! and everyfink! :drinking:

Jayney x
Hostage_Negotiator

flighty wrote:
Bloomin' riveting stuff ....... danced round the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! and everyfink! :drinking:

Jayney x
would have paid money to see that!!! Lambrini Lady falling over the cat whilst shecking her theng!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
flighty

Post by flighty »

Hostage_Negotiator wrote:"HIJACK" you say....
will you be requiring my services,ma'am?
Only if you can surrender your good self to a weekend chez flighty

'Bout time you got yer arse here.

How about a combined services 'do' Friday?

Jayne x
anglo-saxon

Re: Advice on Joining

Post by anglo-saxon »

Janderson wrote:discovered a love for drill I probably inherited from my mother and had hearty vomitings all round.
H_N, you beat me to it. I'm still trying to figure out which Python skit that's from!

Janderson: Don't tell me you'r mum was a tick-tock?

Yeomanry. That's wheeled recce right? Maybe the donkey whollopers are for you.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Now,Now,
Good people from #6.
This is the second thread hi-jacked by you salacious lot.
Lets keep our second childhoods away from those still struggling to shake off their first.
This started as"Advise on Joining". Maybe it should continue in that vein :wink:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Thread Hijack? Thread Hijack? Never hapened before?

"Joy for Drill" ???? Sad :roll:

It is me by the way, I was online previously but it wasnt me typing or even sat here.

So anyway advice on joining up?........Don't :lol:
Janderson

Post by Janderson »

Sticky Blue wrote:Janderson
Not knowing you it would be unfair to advise you.
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What do you enjoy?
What are you good at?
Strengths? Well people say I'm determined, honest, inquisitive, come up with out-o'box solutions, adventurous, creative, abitious... I'm not really sure what my real strengths are but people tend to use these over others. I've just come out of boarding school, so I guess I'm already used to barracks life, I'm an army brat so I have a basic understanding of general soldiering and I've lived from the desert to the lake district, so I can adapt easily to new lifestyles.

My weaknesses; I'm quiet, difficult to get to know (in person anyway) my current physical state. Despite what is written in strengths I am over critical of myself.

I enjoy being creative and making/writing/playing things. I like order, hence my love of drills; I understand that if I look bad the squad looks bad, so when we're marching well I get a feeling of achievment.

I don't know what I'm good at. Apparently I have a soothing voice so I can be a doctor, psychologist or 'good cop' in interrogation. Heh, interrigator.

Anglo-saxon: Damn your eyes, fine sir!

You accuse my familly of tick-tocking! You're a hundred percent correct, but it still hurts :' (

: P

... wth is Take That? o_0
flo

Post by flo »

Janderson wrote:
I'm determined, honest, inquisitive, come up with out-o'box solutions, adventurous, creative, abitious...

I enjoy being creative and making/writing/playing things. I like order, hence my love of drills; I understand that if I look bad the squad looks bad, so when we're marching well I get a feeling of achievment.

I have a soothing voice
Oh my god i think im in love, a man that picks up after himself.............If only i single :wink:

Honestly Janderson you have some really good traits behind you, dont be too critical on yourself and you will be fine. Enjoy the forum and dont let that bunch of reprobates scare you off. Aunty Jayne takes basic but so far Doc is failing badly. :D

Just out of curiosity, What boarding school did you attend? my son attends Prince Ruperts Military Boarding School in Rintelyn. But it is more like a youth club than a Barrack room.