Share This Page:

Would you want a sidearm all times in combat?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
CanadianHighlandFusilier

Would you want a sidearm all times in combat?

Post by CanadianHighlandFusilier »

A friend and I had a discussion about issuing a sidearm to combat unit soldiers.

He argues that there are times when sidearms do come in handy, such as close quarters, during stoppage when pressed by the enemy hard, when changing mag would mean enemy would be on top of you, when weapon fails completely, etc.

I argued that the use of sidearm in combat would be very limited in usefulness considering range, types of situation and how frequent those situations come up for the odds of effective use of a sidearm be of any good, therefore not very useful for combat soldiers to lug around.

So, what's your opinion? Should a pistol be issued to every soldier in combat units? Would you like to lug a pistol around?
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army

I have a cunning plan.
-Many Incarnations of Baldrick
Midshipman786

Post by Midshipman786 »

hmm not being a soldier i wouldnt really know...surely ur average infantryman isnt supposed to let the enemy get within "pistol" range in the first place? id like one to repel boarders though :D
gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

If I could I always took a 'short' along as well as my 'long' - so I would say yes.

Although pistols would hold negligeable use for the majority of the time they do have their uses - ctr's for example.

And lets face it if you carried it for 99.9% of the time and didn't use it, but that 0.1% when you did use it it saved your life it'd be worth it - wouldn't it?
Nuisance
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

I am not a soldier yet, but if I had the choice I would say yes :lol:. Never know when it might come in handy.
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
The JaCkAl

Post by The JaCkAl »

Right I would, as i'm quite a big bloke i'd carry 2, if aload.
[img]http://www.terravista.pt/nazare/1382/armas/tanque04.gif[/img] "Stop dreaming and start training and you could look like me" [img]http://www.mingers.com/images/menu_pics/menu_pic_weekclassic.gif[/img]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Well it is just another thing to carry, and another load of ammo to worry about. Then you have to clean the it and make sure you dont lose it or the magazines. If the enemy is that close then you can set about them with your bayonet or trenching tool, and my can a trenching tool put a parting in some ones hair.
The JaCkAl

Post by The JaCkAl »

When you see those Iraqis walking around with just one RPG on there shoulder and that's it. I think what are you going to do when you shot that thing, and missed because your so inexperienced. Then your left with nothing but somebody shooting at you with an AK47. Personally i'd prefere an semi automatic weapon than an RPG, or even a side arm.

Language Timothy
[img]http://www.terravista.pt/nazare/1382/armas/tanque04.gif[/img] "Stop dreaming and start training and you could look like me" [img]http://www.mingers.com/images/menu_pics/menu_pic_weekclassic.gif[/img]
DelD

Post by DelD »

Not having been in "combat" I cant really comment with any authority, however looking at this from perhaps the opposite perspective, ie the carraige of a sidearm being the norm, with the carraige of a long arm being the additional aspect, I think for the type of situation experienced in for example Northern Ireland both are useful. I have access to both, whereas my military colleagues only have a rifle, I generally feel that I am better equiped than they are, so maybe that is an answer of sorts!
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

Cannot-give-informed-answer....must-resist-replying.... AAAAAAARRRRGGH! :o

Sorry to lower the tone ladies and gentlemen, carry on :).
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
owdun

Post by owdun »

Section Bren-gunners were issued with Browning 9mm as a personal weapon, in my day, does that still hold true today?

Aye Owdun. :evil:
Tab

Post by Tab »

Bren gunners in my old outfit never carried them but number two on the bren had a rifle, but the motar team and medics did.
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

GPMG Gunners / HMG Gunners are issued side arms as well as officers as they can be pratty enough to demand them. Most of the time your gonna find it to be a waste of space, weight and just something to keep track of that isn't really worth it. But as gash-hand said, on that one occasion where it comes down to throwing rocks at the enemy or shooitng at them with a Browning 9 mil, i'll take my chances with the Browning. Plus even if you can't hit shyte (as most people couldn't hit a pop can at 20 feet with a pistol,) its still rounds going downrange. Heh If you can shoot like this Navy SEAL I saw in this movie once or maybe it was Rambo? its worth it go pop em at a hundred yards.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
otc boy

Post by otc boy »

I was in the TA pistol championships at Bisley last year, I did okay for a first timer but some people really can shoot them. The army 8 were there (best 8 men in the regs) they were consistently hitting 5 pointers (2 1/2 inch circle) from 25 yards! It was awesome, proper fistful of dollars stuff.
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

I was in the TA pistol championships at Bisley last year, I did okay for a first timer but some people really can shoot them. The army 8 were there (best 8 men in the regs) they were consistently hitting 5 pointers (2 1/2 inch circle) from 25 yards! It was awesome, proper fistful of dollars stuff.
otc boy how did you do in championships, I men what was your score at the end ?? :lol:
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
otc boy

Post by otc boy »

I did pretty well considering I'd only picked one up two weeks before, I came 3rd overall out of the otc lot, 1st and 2nd were also from our unit, but they had shot the year before and our guy who came first shoots rifle for GB under 25s. Overall I came 25th in the whole TA. It was based on two shoots, i can remember there names but I got about 150/220 in one and i think 128/200 in the other. I remember some TA reme guy who I was watching got 209!!! Awesome.