Share This Page:

Need advice on undertaking PJFT Please for females???

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
brunettehollz

Need advice on undertaking PJFT Please for females???

Post by brunettehollz »

Okay, so I have a letter saying I need to undertake my pjft in 13:15 mins ( 2.4km) in only 6 weeks. Only have 3/4 weeks left of those 6! As last year I was ill and couldnt undertake it.

Need some advice on what speed to run in to make that time, I have been going to the gym the last few weeks but get fatigued after running 6 mins in 11kps/mps
then try to do the rest in 10.5kps... what am I doing wrong? Whats the best way to run with speeds and times etc?

Id appreciate the advice :) :)
timex

Re: Need advice on undertaking PJFT Please for females???

Post by timex »

Hi, I'd suggest you get down to the gym and run the distance you need (2.4km) and see what time you actually do it in. Its only 1.5 mile so even at a brisk walking pace you should crack it in that time.

Also run/jog for 10 mins and see where that gets you, if needed you can then go a bit faster. You really need to be running at least once a day for about 15mins to give you a fighting chance as you've left it a bit late.

Don't go too daft though, make sure you warm up and that you have a decent pair of running shoes. Try some outdoor runs around the local sports pitches for variety. Intersperse that with some short "best effort" sprints of about 100 mts to give your lungs a work out.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I managed to do mine in 12:58 with very little training, and pelvic stress fractures at the age of 27, you'll be surprised how easy it is when you're running it with guys, just don't try to keep up with them all the way round!
Over 10 weeks I got it down to 10:52, but I was the only girl on my course.

You can't do it at a brisk walk, that's ridiculous. My brisk walk is 4mph so that's 15 minutes a mile.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
timex

Post by timex »

Nothing ridiculous at all, your brisk walk isn't very brisk. Think of your squadded run (BFT's if you did them), the first part (squadded run) was a brisk walk with some jogging thrown in.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

My brisk walk is almost a jog, I've checked the speed on the treadmill.
I'm in the RAF, I used to do the BPFA when I was doing my NCAITC at Cranwell. There is no way you can complete a mile and a half in under 13:15 at any thing less than a run. It wouldn't be a fitness test if you could.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I've done the speed/time/distance calculations for you and the speed you need to be running to complete the 1.5 miles inside 13:15 are 6.8 mph or 10.95 kph, minimum.
Try it on the treadmill first, to get an idea of what that speed feels like, then get outside and do it. If there's a park or something nearby that would be ideal, don't do it on the road.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
ofens

Post by ofens »

Do the advice above from those that know, also get out "jogging" for 20+ minutes a couple of times a week.
Jogging will soon become running if you try hard 8)
Good luck.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
brunettehollz

Post by brunettehollz »

Thanks guys for the advice! I had been going the gym 1/2 times a week then running as much as poss for 2.4k and made it just over 13 mins, however I have tried running at a speed of 12kmp/h and it seems to be working around 13 mins and still tiring, but i also include a fast walk, so i hope they allow that too!
Test is very soon, I'll let you know how it goes :)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well done!
Honestly, you will be surprised at the difference it makes running it with other people. Try not to set off too fast, even if everyone else is, that's a common fault. When your head is telling you that you can't run any further and you need to walk, pick a point on the route that's not too far away, and tell yourself "I'll runt to there and then walk", then when you get to that point, pick another one. You CAN run all the way round, your legs and lungs will get you there, it's the doubt in your mind that stops you. (And if you run yourself sick it'll probably impress the pti's!)

Let us know how you get on! I came here looking for advice before I joined up, and have never left...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
brunettehollz

Passed my pjft :D

Post by brunettehollz »

Hello hyperlithe, I'm pleased to say i passed!!! :P It was on the treadmill, but the advice you gave on running with other team members will help too! The personal trainer
helped me out with the speeds, I was able to run for 8:30mins on 12kmp/h, which was tiring then the rest in 10.5, had a quick break of 25 secs in 6 kmp/h then straight up to 12kmp/h again until i finished 2.4k in 12:30 mins!! Which was amazing considering I could only get to 13min an over before. Very pleased, thanks for all your advice. Now just gotta keep up the fitness and prepare for the interview :D
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well done!
Knew you could do it...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours