Share This Page:

Concerns about joining

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
atticus_finch

Concerns about joining

Post by atticus_finch »

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I graduated from university in 2009 and since then I've been working various office jobs for some decent companies, however, I've never really clicked into any of them and always felt restless and the need to do more but never knew what exactly I wanted to do. I'm looking for some adventure and the opportunity to do something different as I'm stuck in a rut to be honest.

Earlier in the year I applied to army and have since completed AOSB and soldier selection. I didn't feel comfortable within the officer demographic and it leaves me with joining as a soldier. I was looking at the Household Cavalry as it seems a prestigious regiment with lots of history and a somewhat unique job role. But my question is, at 28, and a graduate, is this a bad idea? would I be out of place? and struggle with the culture shock/unwide career move?

Does anyone have any experience with the regiment? what are day-to-day duties like?

Thank you
Hyperlithe

Re: Concerns about joining

Post by Hyperlithe »

Sorry I can't help from an Army perspective, but I joined the RAF at 26, so I understand a bit of your concerns. I was almost the oldest on my intake at Basic training, and I struggled a bit with going from being a graduate, a manager and even just an independent grown up to being a recruit, but it was worth it. I've been in 11 years now, and Commissioned from the ranks last year.

If you've got that same feeling I had at work every day before I joined up, of 'there must be more to life than this', then go for it. You'll never look back.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
atticus_finch

Post by atticus_finch »

Thank you for the reply. I do sit at my desk and wander what I'm doing there?!

That's my main concern really, being treated like a kid and finding it even more frustrating as a private soldier.

Part of me thinks its the kick up the arse I need, while the other thinks it's a bad idea.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It is frustrating, but it's temporary. You just have to keep telling yourself they're doing it all for a reason. In some respects it's easier with a bit of life experience as you know yourself better, and you can see it for what it is.

Do you definitely want Army?
I joined the RAF in a job that meant I started as a Sergeant, I found that the perfect solution. At 26 the Navy couldn't take me as an Officer, so they suggested I look at the RAF as the cut-off age was higher, but in the end I didn't fancy any of the Commissioned branches at the time. On the other hand, I didn't want to start at the bottom with a degree and management experience, so I came in as Non-Commissioned Aircrew.
I think unless you've found a trade that gives you that mental challenge as well as the feeling of pride in yourself and your unit, you may still feel like you're missing something. There are plenty of mentally stimulating jobs in the Army too, and sometimes it's more interesting as a Junior than as an Officer; we're mostly about management really!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours