Share This Page:

Failed medical

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
vikkiw2001

Failed medical

Post by vikkiw2001 »

My son applied for the Army earlier on this year. He passed interview and then when it came to the medical unfortunately he failed. He has had some recurrent knee dislocations. The last being over a year ago now. He did have an mri which shows his knee caps are shallower than usual. He is very fit and can run for miles etc. The Army did not state if he could reapply and when we asked they just sent to same letter out. I don't want to waste their time or money but my son really wants to reapply in about a year's time as feels that it will show he is clear of any injury. Can anyone please advise.
Tab

Re: Failed medical

Post by Tab »

In the army you do not only have to run but also to it with a huge load on your back, this outs a huge pressure on the knees, so if there is a weakness there this sort of life will bring out the weakness. I feel it is probably better if he looks for another career rather than wind up in a wheel chair.
Hyperlithe

Re: Failed medical

Post by Hyperlithe »

Sadly Tab is right - even those joining up without any underlying issue often end up with knee problems.
The physical nature of Phase I training is such that even if he's been injury free for a couple of years beforehand, it's highly likely he would do himself significant damage during the course, and the Army won't want to take that risk.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours