Share This Page:

will keratosis Pilaris keep me out the army?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
CJ123

will keratosis Pilaris keep me out the army?

Post by CJ123 »

Hi,

So iv got selection coming up and i was just wondering whether or not Keratosis Pilaris (upper arms and little scatters on my back) would get me a deferal? it never itches never needed any medication for it only started moisturising my skin like a few days ago just to bring the visibility of it down abit, its not listed under the disqualifying skin conditions nor is it even a medical condition as such its just little red bumps on my skin caused my excess keratin built up where the hair grows it is pretty mild but its a very common condition something like 80% of people have it and my GP told me as far as she knows the Army dont really have a problem with it ( she used to be medical staff for the TA) but does anyone have any ideas on what they might say at selection?
Tab

Re: will keratosis Pilaris keep me out the army?

Post by Tab »

It may cause a problem when you are carrying a heavy pack on your back in humid conditions, the problem in the army is that you never know just what conditions you are going to have rough it in.
CJ123

Post by CJ123 »

yeah i see where you are coming from but it isnt like eczema or anything like that... its easily managable with moisturizer and its already improved loads since the original post, also sweat and things like that actually seem to help it i run alot and normally i wear a jacket and everything and i never have issues with scratching also 80% of the population has so surely the entire armed forces isnt built up from that remaining 20% i guess ill just have to see what they say in the medical screening i personally cant see it being a deferal but saying that im not a trained doctor all i know is that KP isnt recognised as a medical condition but more a cosmetic thing and seeing as mine is only extremely mild to the point that if iv just moisturized you cant see it on upper arms and has nearly cleared up on my back now so is not even visible in short sleeve then im hoping ill be fine. i know they also take into account the role you want to do in the army and im going for The Royal Lancers so not sure what they may say in relation to the job choice
Tab

Post by Tab »

All I can do is wish all the best in your application