Share This Page:

Criminal record advice

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
BurnBaby

Criminal record advice

Post by BurnBaby »

Right brand new on the forum been lurking about for a wee while now and am planning to join up later this summer (Para's specifically) I'm certain I'm fit enough already running sub 9:30 1.5 miler, 60 pushups in 2 mins same for situps. Thing that's worrying me though is when I was younger lived in Canada and ended up doing 10 months in a Canuck jail for robbery, long story how it happened but truthfully I'm a reformed character and want to serve my country, Anybody have any idea if my past mistake will banjax my chances?
Zero_Higher

Re: Criminal record advice

Post by Zero_Higher »

Hi,

It is very likely that your offence will become "spent" which means you can still apply, but take advice from your local AFCO.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, the time it takes for an offence to become ‘spent’ depends entirely on the sentence given – not on the offence committed.

People given prison sentences of over four years or public protection sentences will never benefit from the Act.

Also what age were you when convicted?

Check your PM's soon as.

Zero
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying
BurnBaby

Post by BurnBaby »

Thanks for the advice mate, haven't been down to the AFCO yet cause I've been trying to shave more time of my 1.5 mile my thinking being to more I impress the better my chances. Got convicted at 19 turning 22 in june here.

Personal information edited out by Zero, see your private message inbox
Zero_Higher

Post by Zero_Higher »

See your PM.

No, not at all. It doesn't matter where in the UK you hail from.

The bigger concern is you decided to involve yourself in stealing or attempting to steal something with force and maybe putting a victim in fear. The military needs men & women that can trust each other. So I truly hope you've turned over a new leaf and acknowledge that the last thing any section needs is a thief.

We all make mistakes, keep on the right track and you could have a rewarding and exciting career ahead.

Best,

Zero.
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying