Share This Page:

Want to join but have questions regarding A-levels

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Roland-deschain123

Want to join but have questions regarding A-levels

Post by Roland-deschain123 »

Hiya thanks for taking the time to read my post. Im currently taking a performing arts course at college, after this I plan to do A-level history, R.E and law for two years. After this, I am considering joining the British army.

I had to take a performing arts BTEC this year as I only received 4 gcse's. Maths, English, Science and food and nutrition. Therefore to take A-levels I needed more gcses, so I choose my current course so that I could get some extra qualifications. Its equivalent to one and a half A-levels so I should be fine getting into A-levels.

I only got 4 gcses as I was a young career for two years for a critically ill parent. I also have letters from some old gcse teachers to say what my predicted grades for my gcses were for the exams I did not have time to study for. College also takes into account that due to the stress of the time and subsequent loss of a parent that my schooling was affected greatly by it. Getting into A-levels should be fine.

But my question is would I be eligible to join the British Army if I achieve the fore-mentioned A-levels?

There is also this to consider, I dont think it is a huge problem from what I've read but again I know honesty is the best policy and I should lay all my cards out.

I am very fit, after completing my A-levels I'll be 21 and as long as I continue progressing as I am currently, I should do very well in any fitness test. I go to the gym and follow a weightlifting diet and routine religiously. I know the fitness tests can be challenging but I honestly believe I'll be more than capable.

There is also this, some 'friends' , no longer friends of course, of mine at school were involved with drugs just Marijuana really just common 15-16 year olds nowadays really. I was constantly pressured into doing it, but I never did. I may be out with them but not really taking part at all. Then in college towards the start of the year I made some new 'friends' , suffice to say they are no longer friends either, who were also involved with marijuana. These were a little older though and did once peer pressure me into trying it. I felt awful, hated it and felt very guilty. I then asked my tutor at college for young drug counselling because of this. I saw the lady once and realised quickly I had no drug problem and just felt guilty about it still so decided not to see her again feeling a bit better. I'm now fairly at peace with all this and of course would pass any drug test under the sun and don't smoke or drink at all. If anything after that whole ordeal I became a far better person even taking religion into my life a bit. How should I go about this when talking with a recruiter? I guess the fact that I was registered for the counselling may come up in background checks so I imagine it would be best to just tell the recruiter when first speaking to him? I'm presuming recruiters ask anyway.

Thanks for reading, cheers.
Roland-deschain123

Re: Want to join but have questions regarding A-levels

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Zero_Higher

Post by Zero_Higher »

Roland,

Firstly hello and welcome to the forums. Very sorry to read about the ordeal you have went through in regards to being a carer. Everybody joining the Army has to meet some basic entry requirements. These differ depending on whether you want to be an officer or a soldier. However from what you have stated in your post, there are no issues.

No qualifications are required for entry as a soldier except for certain technical jobs (search http://www.army.mod.uk/join). Most jobs are offered on the results of your BARB test, which is the standard entrance exam.

For Officer selection you require GCSE passes or equivalent in 7 subjects, with a minimum grade C in English language, maths and either a science or a foreign language; plus 240 UCAS points from at least two A level passes. However if you later wish and are selected to move from serving soldier to officer then you will attend a selection board and will only require GCSE passes or equivalent in 5 subjects.

But certainly for soldier entry, do not worry about the academic criteria.

Your GP must fill in a medical questionnaire and you will have to pass a full Army medical, so providing you are fit and healthy you should have no dramas passing the fitness assessment. Just keep yourself fit and healthy.

With regards to the drug use. Unless you have ever received any criminal convictions or court appearances then you do not have to declare it. You must tell the army about any unspent convictions you have as it will be unearthed during vetting. For some roles you’ll need to tell them about any convictions when you apply, whether spent or not. You need to be honest – if you hide a conviction before joining up, you could be prosecuted later. If you haven't been charged or through the courts then do not worry.

It goes without saying that cannabis is illegal and if you are serious about a career in HM forces you need to walk away from it. Weed is the most widely used illegal drug in Britain and has plenty of risks associated with its use. We all have made mistakes in the past, so make sure this stays in the past and you don't make the same mistake again.

Hope to see you stick around on the forums here, best of luck

Zero
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying
Roland-deschain123

Thanks for replying and answering my questions, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders reading that!

I will definitely stick around these forums a little bit so no worries there :)

So with regards to the drug use are you saying it's a case of if I'm not asked about it then I shouldn't declare it? I have no convictions or court appearances so have nothing to declare in that regards. I suppose really I'm just worried that if it comes up in a background check that I was registered for the counselling that it might count for something so I'm just confused as to whether I should declare it or not because of that?

I've seen what drugs can do to people and don't understand how anyone can support it's legalisation or whatever, I know it's pretty common and other harder drugs are much worse so I dread to think what the use of harder drugs can do! So yeah it's nothing I ever plan on thinking about in the future.
Thanks in advance, Simon.

Ps , Roland Deschain is a character from a book so I used it on here :)
Zero_Higher

Post by Zero_Higher »

Roland,

Working within any of the armed forces involves a number of obvious risks, sadly this is the world we live in. Applying to join the Army can mean you are exposed to a higher level of personal risk than most other people. Also it is important to remember that those that might train you in the near future may read this forum. So, that being said, it is my advice to you that you stick to using your username and not your real name. You can edit your posts by clicking on the "edit" button. :wink:

Moving on.. when you receive your application pack you will be required to complete a security questionnaire, the MOD Form 1109. It is government policy that (for certain roles) a Security Check and/or a Counter-Terrorist Check is carried out on applicants to confirm their identity, suitability and trustworthiness. This is in essence a criminal records check, This will check for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings.

You received confidential advice and information from a counsellor once whilst still at school. This has absolutely nothing to do with the law so trust me when I say do not worry. Answer all questions on your security and medical questionnaire honestly and you will have no issues.

What role are you looking at?

Zero.
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying
Roland-deschain123

Okay thank you, I understand.

Also thank you for clearing up what excactly a background check is, knowing that is a real relief.

I'm thinking of applying to be a guardsman or close-reconnaissance soldier. I'm hoping a recruiter can clear everything up when I do apply. My ultimate decision will be weighed up between the risk factor and salary though.
Zero_Higher

Post by Zero_Higher »

Have a look at the Army careers website and visit your local AFCO. Any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask here, I'm sure we can help.

Zero