Share This Page:

Want to join the army and have a few questions.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
SzymonS89

Want to join the army and have a few questions.

Post by SzymonS89 »

Hello,
First of all thanks for letting me take time out of your lives to read this :).

I am 19 years old and I am seriously considering joining the Infantry. I like the adrenaline and I like to challenge myself.
I have seriously thought of where I want to go with my life and an army career seems to be one of the top options for me.

I do however have a few questions, quite a few actually.

I am Polish and that is my original nationality, Ive lived in England for around 6 or 7 years but I dont have a British passport or anything along those lines. Will this be a problem when signing up for army? Do I need to apply for an English passport?
Poland is now in the EU so I wouldnt think this makes much of a difference but apparently one of my friends dad had a problem signing up because he was Polish. Not sure how the story went though.

That was the first question :) Im sorry if this gets lengthy but this is a big decision in my life and Id like some insight.

Ever since I was 10 Ive loved snipers, everything about them, the stealth the accuracy the patience. Ive always been a patient lad and have no problems sitting in a bush for a day or two if thats what it takes. Every game I play (Currently Battlefield 3) I choose to go with a sniper :) The whole idea of sniping fascinates me and seems very cool to me.
How hard is it to become a fully qualified and trained sniper? Is it something everybody can apply for or do I need to be a good shot and really show off my marksman skills in order to be able to apply? I assume some sort of recommendation from the higher ups does take place. Simply how likely am I to successfully join the snipers?

Another topic Ive been wondering about is the pay. What sort of money am I looking at whilst in the army? And also how much of that money will I need to spend whilst doing service? Does the army cover my costs of living such as food, perhaps some entertainment and so on? I have no idea what kind of numbers I should be looking forward to but lets say that Id get £200 a week whilst in the army. Then lets say Ill do service for around 7 years. Lets do some math. 4 weeks x 200= 800 quid a month, 12 months in a year x 800= 9600, then times that by 7 years and you get a sum of £67.200. Is that the amount of money Ill have when I leave the service or will I have to spend some of that money for some basic living needs and entertainment.

This question aims at fitness requirements. I have done some research and from what Ive found people have been saying that you need to do around 44-50 push ups in under 2 minutes, 50 sit ups in under 2 minutes and a bleep test at 10.2 level. All of that I can do with ease. Just now Ive tried to do 50 push ups and did that in a minute and 17 seconds, so I have no problem with fitness. However, I used to be heavy :). I used to weight around 95kg, thats 209 pounds and around 15 stones. I have been exercising a lot for the past 8 months and now I weight 80kg, thats 176 pounds and 12.5 stones. I have read somewhere that a man can has no more then 20% of body fat to join the army. I dont think Im above that but just to be safe id like to know. I am 6'1 in height and as said weight 80kgs. I dont think that would be a reason they wouldnt take me but Im just wondering. Most of my fat weight has turned into muscle but id say around 10-15% of my body weight is fat. Damn belly fat so hard to lose!:D

2nd to last question :). If lets say I join the infantry, I dont qualify to be a sniper, or I fail the training, and I need to chose another job... lets say, heavy machine gun operator or whatever they are called :). Will that include the same basic training as a sniper would? And then would extend into heavy machine guns rather then snipers or would I simply only be trained in heavy machine guns and thats it? I just realized this question may not make sense to everyone but I dont know a better way to put it :P

Last and of course the most important question. I am not afraid of being in a tough situation, I am not afraid of being deployed to Afghanistan or wherever else in the world but I am very interested on the chances of being killed or very seriously injured.
I understand that the current number of fatalities for the British Army in between 2002 and 2011 is 388ish, might be wrong but its close to what it actually is I think. So theoretically I have a much lower chance of being killed in Afghanistan then just driving my VW golf around? I understand it very much depends on the job I will do. I am either going to join the normal Infantry as a sniper which is my main goal or simply stay a soldier with an SA80 in my hand right out there in the field.
I presume a sniper is safer. Camouflaged, further away from combat and so on.
As I said Im not afraid to be out there in the field doing work and what I joined the army for but what I am afraid of is never seeing my family again and leaving them alone as Im an only child. I am very attached to my family and love them very much, therefore I want to do least to upset them so I hope you can understand why I have asked this last question.
Please dont answer like most people do, that being: "100%, everybody dies sooner or later". That is the most ridiculous answer you can give a young passionate lad trying to find out their chances of survival in the army.

Right, that is all :) Thank you for sticking with me. I understand these questions will be best answered by actually communicating with the army but before I take any steps forward Id like to have some solid ground to stand on. I am planning on contacting the British Army to discuss my options this Monday.

Again, thanks for reading and have a good day :)
Tab

Re: Want to join the army and have a few questions.

Post by Tab »

To be a sniper you need to have proved that you are a very good shot, also you will have to serve for at least a couple of years in the Army and have done at least one tour of the sandpit so that they can see how you handle your self. Now as far as being Polish all you can do is ask at the recruiting office and see what they say and they can put you right on this one. Also I would like to add that written English is excellent so I am wondering if this is a wind up.
SzymonS89

Post by SzymonS89 »

Tab wrote:To be a sniper you need to have proved that you are a very good shot, also you will have to serve for at least a couple of years in the Army and have done at least one tour of the sandpit so that they can see how you handle your self. Now as far as being Polish all you can do is ask at the recruiting office and see what they say and they can put you right on this one. Also I would like to add that written English is excellent so I am wondering if this is a wind up.
Yeah I thought they would have needed some kind of proof before spending money and time to train me to become a sniper. Im not disappointed because I will get there, I know it :) And it will be just more of an achievement at the end.

You mean my written English is excellent? Thanks :) I dont have a problem with English overall, written or verbal so I am not at all worried about communication.

Ill probably give them a call on Monday see what they can do about the nationality thing and give me my options.

Thanks for your reply :)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Like Tab I'm concerned that this may be a bite,but here you go.
http://www.bedsadvicedirectory.org.uk/d ... php?id=475
Your English is way above the norm judging against the Polish in Bedford UK that I know.
I'm not real sure about joining the British Armed Forces or why you would want to,as far as I know you would have to be from a Commonwealth country or a naturalised Brit.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Soldiers from across the Commonwealth and other countries have a long and proud tradition of service in the British Army. That tradition continues today. The Army welcomes applicants from certain countries and overseas territories, but you might need to have lived in the UK for a set period of time to be eligible for certain roles. Use this table to check.
http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20149.aspx (Poland isn't listed btw....)
The residency rules may allow you to apply to become a British citizen through the UK Border Agency channels, but having a passport wouldn't guarantee your acceptance into the army so should only be considered if you REALLY want to stay in this country. In ten or more years time you might want to bugger off back to Krakow......

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... igibility/

I suspect a wind up.
Firstmate

Post by Firstmate »

As a Polish citizen you CANNOT join the armed forces in this country.
Yer tiz
saleenacarter

Post by saleenacarter »

Yeah i assumed they'd have required some quite proof before pin money and time to coach American state to become a marksman. Im not discomfited as a result of i will be able to get there, i do know it :) And it'll be simply a lot of of associate accomplishment at the tip.