Share This Page:

Gilly, a man and a legend

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Gilbert once crawled into his sack wearing his blue tracky. I chuckled and called him the equivalent of an old fart. (Alcohol had engendered a degree of bravery in my system) He loftily explained that if one went into one's pit bollocky buff, and then got hit by Indos they would be able to see one's pearly white skin, and would then perforate it with their automatic weapons. :o

Gilly one............sprog nil, and chastened. :oops:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Rob,
You obviously knew Gilbert Rex H. quite well. I knew him even better. He left me chastened on many occasion.!! However, a lot of us "young sprogs", were glad to have Gillie as a friend and mentor.
I saw him last week. He looks fit and sprightly, despite his increasing years. It was, unfortunately at a funeral (Derek Northcote). This is becoming increasingly regular, as people of Gillie's age start to pass away.
I am glad to report that Gillie doesn't even remotely resemble the next person!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

El Pressy stood at edge of the lake at Hamworthy, casts curious frozen glance at aged C/sgt who has been heard to mutter, "OK around the pontoon and back, GO"
EP replies, "but it's freezing", (January!)
"There's no such thing as cold lad....only various degrees of temperature, get in"

:o :o :o

So I got in, and it was freezing at all degrees of temperature!
El Presidente
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Gilbert WAS and still is a legend within the SBS. He was the most decorated NCO in the Corps. ( DSM and MM.) At least - he used to be. Nowadays there seems to be a movement to throw out medals to all who have done some useful work.
Gillie earned his medals.
He was also the "mentor" to so many SC rates, passing through the course and a great friend to all!
I rate him as a great man and a very close friend. You don't get that combination too often.
Sneaky.
El Prez. - You caught him in his prime!! - as I did 15 years earlier!!
The man had no prime. he was a legend.
Former RM of 23 years.
Cliodna

Post by Cliodna »

El Prez wrote: EP replies, "but it's freezing", (January!)
Its none too warm in the summer either when you have to swim out to rescue the stupid boxer mutt who decided it was a good day to do battle with a swan!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rover

Post by Rover »

The 'Liars and Wannabees' section is not the correct place for one such as Gilbert Rex.

I move a relocation.

Rover
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Hey! lets not forget the Long Range Pistol shooting (200m with a Pussers 9mm!!,Sometimes I could hit the target when I could see it) and those wierd and wonderfull "flying machines" made from old car seats etc as a supposed aid to shooting!!.
A top bloke if ever there was one.
SH
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Sorry Rover, I should have thought of that myself.!! It still brings a warm glow to the "cockles o' yer heart", to talk about the old bugger though!
Sneaky.
Former RM of 23 years.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

O yes, the Long Range Pistol shooting!! Not many SBS guys were able to escape that event, even if they wanted to!
We would start at 100 yards and progress via 200 to 300 yards! Good fun. You had to aim about 6 foot above a 6ft. target to get them anywhere near the centre!! Sort of lob them in! All Gillies idea and great fun till some civvy prat decided to make a pistol out of a rifle!
Cut the barrel down and replaced the stock with a "sort" of pistol grip. The "thing" still had the bolt action and used a 7.62 round. The barrel was still long enough to be able to hold it like a rifle. A bit unfair we thought.
It resulted in the "civvy prat" being put in a special category. For a start he was competing on his own until a few other bright sparks decided to join him. Us, we just carried on using standard pistols, both revolvers and automatics to try and get at least one hole in the target! - especially from 300 yards.!!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The 'thing' was called the Kengill for some unknown reason! :-?
The final version being classed as a pistol.

For those who have used the SLR and remember how it felt firing from the shoulder, well now think how your wrist felt firing a 7.62 NATO round one handed unsupported. :o

Rover
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Just thought I would put my bit of knowledge of Gillie's bravery award the DCM.
During the early months of 1951 gillie was acting Cpl Y Troop 40 Commando operating in the lenggong area of Malaya Y Troop patrol led by Capt. J.Showell-Rogers crossed the Perak River with the object of attacking a CT camp,the location had been reported by RAF spotter plane.
After 12 hours of forcing their way through the thick jungle the patrol found the objective.The CTs had not been alerted by any sentries and they could be seen sitting in the doorway of one of the huts.Daylight was fadind rapidly Y troop patrol moved quickly into the camp.During the fire fight that developed Capt Showell-Rogers recieved a severe arm wound Cpl Gillie immediately took over command and pressed home the attack.One CT killed and two others wounded but escaped into the jungle.Knowing that other CTs were in the locality Gillie formed a defence position untill first light when he followed the trail of the wounded CTs.As expected the patrol came under fire from a ambush position the patrol dislodged the CTs who broke of the engagement and fled into the jungle.

I doubt very much whether Gillie has told these exploits which earned him the DCM,a very brave man indeed,Aye Jr

I will now retire to the rear rank,I just thought you would all like to know about the DCM
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Bullet proof!
Absolutely indomitable and always ready to pour scorn on any snivelling little lad who complained about being damp, cold and hungry.

He probably went on the Cockleshell raid, but kept it quiet in case he had to don uniform. :lol:

As previously mentioned, his great oppo Pinky White was another anachronism. Always wore his old initial issue woolly pully, brown in colour and with a lace at the neck, plus proper Commando soled boots and hose tops. Never was there a word uttered against either of them.

Lovely people. :wink:
El Presidente