Share This Page:

Kit/Item Restrictions at Basic

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The only thing that you should be thinking about taking to basic is a fit body and an open mind, the forces will provide everything else you need.
As for pain killers etc, well you can take what you can buy from a chemist if you are in pain etc, or you can go sick and get it free from a Doc.

At the end of the day if you want tunes go down the NAAFI with your oppos, you will probably be too shattered to do anything else. You wake up get run around all day and then you fall asleep. Ahh the easy life! If only everything in life was so simple.

Good luck to all of you in or about to start basic, keep us posted on how its going.
Scouse G

Post by Scouse G »

readin through this thread its pretty much upto you what you take with you, there are no restrictoins on what you take with you ,but bear in mind its YOUR responsibility to look after YOUR kit ,no one elses. When I joined up in 1976 I took only my self , some civvy kit inc sports kit and a good steam iron(on my old fellahs Advise) and some good advis " keep yer eyes and ears open and yer gob shut and yer'll be alright , seen me thru. On posting, thats when to start getting all your home comforts together and having seen the standard of accomadation on another thread it seems the accomm has come along way fromeven when I was in
dont worry you'll get there Good Luck to all (except RAF, kidding)
Scouse G
p.s. dont be afraid to ask questions if you dont understand them, and you can always be assured of an answer (daft or otherwise) on here iam sure
:o
ALL ways look on the Bright side of life.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

When I joined in the 80's no personal kit was aloud other than letter wrighting kit and the odd book. one thing I will say is definately out is personal stero's, if your plt instructors shouT 'BODY' they expect every swinging dick to be standing in the doorway of the plt office waiting for a job!!!! I would not like to be the crow caught with the stereo on listening to Kylie :o Kylieeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmmmmmm :oops:
"Every man an Emperor!"
Mal

Post by Mal »

Cheers guys, alot of usefull info there. I have now actually got my joining instructions and have since bought all the required kit. For anyone else reading this and going into the Army, yes you are aloud to take stereos and things, but they will be taken off you for the first 6 weeks.

I'm taking JUST what is on my kit list. The only extra things I am taking is some training shoe insoles, and some calf/foot support bandages which I feel may come in handy after a hard day on my feet with aching muslces.

One thing that is strange however. I have been speaking to someone else who is also on the same intake as me. His kit list is different to mine. For example, on his list it says bring 4 blast bungees, where on my kit list there is no such thing. Other examples are things like 4 passport photos, where on mine it says 8. Strange.

Anyway, thanks again for the info :wink:
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Strange - can you take a book tho?
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Blast bungee's?? I think he's pulling youur plonker mate!!!!
"Every man an Emperor!"
Mal

Post by Mal »

I doubt he was joking around mate. Looking back at the 480 Platton video during operation Steel Eagal whilst learning basic field skills, when putting up the basha, they mentioned about how the bungees they were using there and then were not yet standard army issue. I think by now, several years later, there is a real possibility it might be on the recruits kit list. Who knows.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Mal, I'm not stupid!! Bungees are a soldiers best friend, alway have been but I have never heard them called"BLAST" Bungees.....That's what I mean't when I said it was a wind up, like when you get asked to go and get the Back blast bags for the 84mm...Oh I doubt you know what the hell I'm talking about as I think it's the LAW90 now...Never mind :-?
"Every man an Emperor!"
Mal

Post by Mal »

You've lost me a bit there Maroon mate, nevermind
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Maroon thought someone was maybe having a laugh with you.
Bit like the legendary 'long weight'...
Mal

Post by Mal »

Ahhh right I see :wink: