Share This Page:

Totally new and joining up

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Krupp

Totally new and joining up

Post by Krupp »

Ok, you're gonna have to help me a little here because I'm Irish and have absolutely no knowladge of the specific training and selection processes of the British army.

Few questions:
1.I've just sent off for an application from Belfast bks., what kind of stuff do they ask, how to impress with "previous achievements" and so forth?
2.Whats the selection process like? I send off my application, then what happens next from their responce to going to selection interviews and so on.
3.Fitness-I'm thinking of ordering one of these "Fighting Fit: Complete SAS Fitness Training Handbook" type things to work on my fitness, which is pretty drab, but I figure I have a few months to work on it-whats books/programmes would you guys reccomend for someone starting off not even knowing how to do a push up? (... :cry: )
4.How much trapsing up and down the border will I have to do during the selection process-IE a day trip every few weeks, overnights, that kinda thing (I suppose thats going back to question 2...)
5.I'll be going in at 16-pro's and cons of this? (and any advice on how to get the signature out of my parents too...)

Erm, chances are I'll think of more stuff later but thats it for now...thanks in advance for your help.
Bovie

Post by Bovie »

http://militaryforums.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5106 - post about press-ups.

http://www.mfat.co.uk/rm.php?page=rm1 - this is Royal Marine training

and tell your parent's you want to join and you need there signiture, if they say no, dont talk to them for a few weeks untill they do...
Archie

Post by Archie »

Bovie wrote: if they say no, dont talk to them for a few weeks untill they do...

Neat idea Bovie.

First they'll appreciate the peace and quiet, then they'll realise that if they sign they'll get rid of you for good.

Next they'll realise they can get by with a smaller house that doesn't need to be near schools etc.

Then they'll wonder why they ever had kids in the first place.

When you come home on leave they'll have moved house and not told you.

Before you know it, your an orphan :lol:
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

any advice on fitness books?
Got my application form, now to work on the parents....
Friday

Post by Friday »

I've got a great fitness book, Royal marines fitness and survival skills by John Watney, Has lots of good advice about getting fit and even has a series of exercises called 5bx, which don't require leaving the house. Definitley worth getting from the library or just buy it from a half decent bookshop.
Bovie

Post by Bovie »

Aye archie, and that why my parents are moving my sister into my bedroom and turning her bedroom into a sparebedroom (looks like its started allready! :o )
Archie

Post by Archie »

Bovie, when you join up just put your address as, C/o Dr Barnados :lol:
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

someone lay down the process of going from application to selection please.
Got my application form, now to work on the parents....
saleenacarter

Re: Totally new and joining up

Post by saleenacarter »

advice on fitness books??????

____
Kyle
ofens

Re: Totally new and joining up

Post by ofens »

Congratulations saleenacarter on this week's Time Team award, for resurrecting a 10 year old post! :D

As for books I'd recommend Fighting Fit by Adrian Weale for all round military fitness from beginner to selection candidates,
and Simon Waterson's Commando Workout for a civi-oriented all-round fitness approach that can be easily built upon for more specific fitness goals.

See you in another ten years on this post! :P
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]