Share This Page:

Questions

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
wargasm

Questions

Post by wargasm »

Following on from my last thread, I thought I might take advantage of the experience here and ask 2 quick questions:

1. What is the attitude towards own kit for basic training? I don't mean lots of gucci stuff but the usual bits, i.e. buffalo, boots and doss bag. Are you ok to bring your own or do you have to work with the issue stuff until your badged?

2. What level of fitness do you recommend? This may seem an odd question and I would have thought that the fitter the better but I've heard that you don't want to peak physically too early? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

W.
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
Skiffle

Re: Questions

Post by Skiffle »

wargasm wrote:1. What is the attitude towards own kit for basic training? I don't mean lots of gucci stuff but the usual bits, i.e. buffalo, boots and doss bag. Are you ok to bring your own or do you have to work with the issue stuff until your badged?
To begin with you will have to use the equipment provided until the training team allow you any extra little bits of kit that you may want. This is to ensure you can operate with just the kit that will be available in all enviroments where there may not be an option to buy a new buffalo jacket or get fuel for your own persoanl stove.
2. What level of fitness do you recommend? This may seem an odd question and I would have thought that the fitter the better but I've heard that you don't want to peak physically too early? Any ideas?
I deally the fitter you start the better. When we start to advance with weight and distance in yomps and speed marches you will not struggle with the transition as some will. Also if you are fitter recruit training will eventually increase the levels of physical effort required to the point where they will eventually match yours and then contiue to increase it.

RMR recruit training tends to be longer and harder due to the short intense weekend training and the required personel out of hours training to earn your green lid. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
wargasm

Post by wargasm »

Crystal skiffle. Thanks again for the info. Out of interest, which region are you based in and do the characteristics of the different RMR units vary from region to region? I would suppose that they are all at the given standard but are particular units better at somethings / biased towards some things?
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn