Share This Page:

The rifles

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
lewisshepherd

The rifles

Post by lewisshepherd »

Hi lads, just looking for any information on the rifles, been reading up on the history and overall feel of the rifles as a regiment and it seems right up my ally.
What I want to know is, can one join the rifles straight from passing selection or are you expected to serve in another regiment for a time prior to application to the rifles.
I'm also very keen on sniper training that would be my ultimate goal, is the rifles a good route to go down to ultimately active this goal?
Anybody else applying to the rifles? How is the selection process compared to other regiments I understand they are quite a popular regiment to join.
Plus any other information will be graciously received
Thanks.
When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in to the wounds of your enemy's.
mike.dt

Re: The rifles

Post by mike.dt »

Hi mate,

It seems that you've got slightly mixed up about what the rifles actually are. The rifles are an infantry regiment, if you join as an infantry soldier then you join a specific infantry regiment depending sometimes on where you are from, or by your own choice. The selection and training for the Rifles will be the same as it is for any infantry soldier and if you choose the rifles and there is a job for you then you can be posted to them.

To become a sniper in the Rifles you will need to complete a "Snipers Cadre" which is a very difficult selection and training course that is generally open to those who have had a sufficient amount of experience as a Rifleman and have proven themselves to be up to the required standard. In plain English, you won't be able to turn up on day one with your unit and jump on the next course to be a sniper. Also you should know that it isn't as glorious as Call of Duty depicts.
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)