Share This Page:

Weight, BMI, Please Help!!!

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
Wannbe_Para

Weight, BMI, Please Help!!!

Post by Wannbe_Para »

Hi everyone went to my AFCO again today and was told before I can have an application form I need to lose a few kg's. My bmi is 31 which they said is too high (and I agree with them) so I have to keep going back every two weeks so they can keep checking on it until its around 28 then I can have an application form. So I want to get it to 25-28 as fast as psooible because my parents are moving abroad soon and I really do not want to go with them :( I was wondering how many kg's will I have to lose to get my bmi down to 25-28? I want to show really good progress each two weeks I go back (I also want to get fitter whilst losing the weight) so finally to the question can any of you lads please help me with any tips, advice anything that can get my weight off really quick?? Ive been told to do weights 3 times per week cardio 7 times per week but with the weights do dropsets and compound lifts (no idea what any of them are) and with the cardio 3 runs a week 3 bike rides swim 7 days a week (pool is in my gym) and gym cardio 7 days a week what do you reckon?

Cheers for any help lads really appreciated.
just_me

Post by just_me »

BMI is dependent on your height, so if you are taller you are expected to weigh more and vice-versa. Look at this chart and calculate how much you need to lose etc.
Any idea what job choice you want to do yet?
Wannbe_Para

Post by Wannbe_Para »

I'm 5foot 10 inches and I want to go into infantry mate.

Cheers for the chart.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Mate Im 5' 10" myself I weight 13 stone 4 and am classed as overweight on the BMI (28)

I run 40-50 miles a week and do 1.5 mile in 9.45 so dont fret about BMI, whats your weight????
Wannbe_Para

Post by Wannbe_Para »

My mam measured me so my height could be wrong but I'm 16 stone pal.
Going to run run 3 times per week 2x 1.5 mile and a 3 miler should I run further? I am also going to cycle 3 days a week and do gym cardio 7 days a week also weights 3 times per week.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

STAY OFF THE WEIGHTS
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

my recruiter told me that to train for the 1.5miler i should be running 3-6 miles about 3 or 4 times a week
BARB - Passed
Basic Skills - Complete
Reg Choice - The Duke Of Lancaster's
Role - Infantry
adamb

Post by adamb »

You weigh roughly 100.8kg. To get a BMI of 28 with a height of 5ft 10" you need to get your weight between 90.9 and 93.2 wich is a loss of around 7-10KG.

To get your BMI to 25 you need to be between 79.5 and 81.8 wich is a loss of around 18-20KG.

Do more Cardio, stay of the weights it will build muscle wich weighs more than fat and eat healthy.
Wannbe_Para

Post by Wannbe_Para »

Thanks alot guys I was told by a friend it helps in fat loss but seems as I need to lose weight overall I agree with you, NO WEIGHTS FOR ME!!!

Cheers everyone once again a great help!!!!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Lets face it all the English Rugby Players would be classed as unfit by the BMI standards. I have known some short people that have shoulders that are almost as wide as they high but they have been as fit as any one else if not fitter. BMI should be used as guide and not a bible on these matters.
BrownTrousers

Post by BrownTrousers »

Unfortunately the Army DO see it as a very important aspect of the recruitment programme. In realistic terms they want every recruit to have a BMI of 20-25 at the start of Ph 1 training. This is to ensure a (roughly) equal start point for PT. In essence, the PT is aimed at getting you to a certain level of physical fitness by the end of training. In order to do this you need to be starting at a certain level.

I don't agree with the BMI factor myself, but there does need to be set standards, and BMI is as good a comparison tool as you're getting at the minute.
DARREN_ROSS

Post by DARREN_ROSS »

im in the same situation as you. i was 108kg and im about 5foot 9" iv now got my weight down to 86kg and my target is 84kg before i get the ball rolling. iv been running about 4 time a week and going the gym 4-5 times a week, iv also cut the amount of food i eat (eat when you need to, not for the sake of it).
Wannbe_Para

Post by Wannbe_Para »

Darren_Ross how far did you used to run mate? and what did you do at the gym? at the min I am doing just cardio (treadmill, bike, crosstrainer) then swimming 50 laps straight after been told not to do weights (above) because it bulids muscle and it will make me heavier so cardio all round at the min (running in the morning) what did you do at the gym mate? and how long did it take you to get down to 86kg's mate?
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

excercise is split into 2 catergories really - aerobic and anaerobic (cardio and weights/resistance)

If you want to do weights you can BUT, keep the weight low and the reps high that way you increase the heart rate and also getting a flow of blood around the body. In between sets don't rest for too long as this will lower your heart rate and you need to keep it up.

What i do is start on the treadmill and do a few mile, this gets the heart rate up and then i do the weights the way that i mentioned, if u do it right you'll notice you're out of breathe when you do the weights. then finish on the row machine BUT again you need to know how to use the rower properly (sort of).

Doing the weights ensures you getting a good flow of bood right around the body. The blood on it's travels picks up fatty cells then delivers it to the working muscles.

But i agree you need to avoid weight training in the style of building muscle as the weight you lose in fat will be gained in muscle.
Also keep a close eye on the Fat intake, diet and training go hand in hand. Diet meaning sensible eating and not these fad sort of diets.
BARB: PASSED; 76
BASIC SKILLS: PASSED
Interview 1: PASSED 04/03/09
Interview 2: waiting
Wanting to join the Royal Artillery as Gunner UAV Operator.
DARREN_ROSS

Post by DARREN_ROSS »

im still doning training, i run 1.5m (road) but im going to increase it now (i think to about 3m). at the gym i use treadmile (1.5m), crosstrainer (30mins), bike (30mins), rower (2000meter as fast as possible) but i do use the weights because my upperbody strenth wasn't that good.
its took me about 3months,

luckly for me my fitness trainer at the gym had been in the army so he knew what they were looking for and could design a program for me.