Share This Page:

Band of Brothers

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Cinder

Band of Brothers

Post by Cinder »

Just got this today and started watching the first episode, Currahee. Who walks on to command the parachute regiment but david f@#k' schwimmer!! haha.. I had to take a minute to get to grips with that one.

I am a huge friends fan, and trying to take him serious in a, well serious role is just too much, lol.. Has anyone else watched band of brothers? What's yuor views??
bird

Post by bird »

Yeh i got the DVD box set aswell, amazingly well made episodes i couldn't take David schwimmer seriously at all bit of a joke. But i think the character they gave him was good, quaker and gets pretty much kicked out of easy. Made me laugh when he comes back just before D-day :lol: the look on his face!

Cheers, Bird
On the road to recovery.
lew

Post by lew »

I also have the box set, and thought it was a brilliant series, hes only in a few of the epsiodes and not in them very long, the series was amazing...

enjoy...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
df2inaus

Band of Brothers

Post by df2inaus »

bird.
Yeh i got the DVD box set aswell, amazingly well made episodes i couldn't take David schwimmer seriously at all bit of a joke. But i think the character they gave him was good, quaker and gets pretty much kicked out of easy.
The book is excellent as well. Read details about the hated Capt Sobel and you'll find that Schwimmer was likely very carefully chosen for the role. Either way, the men agreed that the Captain for all his flaws was the main force that bonded them together. They disliked him so much that they all got on great!

df2
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Tab

Post by Tab »

Yes I have the Box Set as well, I thought it was very well put together, That little group saw their fair share of action.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

just watched the first episode and so far it is very good (despite schwimmer, i keep thinking ross from friends, lol), and very well made.

Is there any other tv series or films relating to paras that is worth checking out?
Seven

Post by Seven »

I've got the box and I also read the book and I must agree with df2inaus, I really think schwimmer was chosen especially for the part. They didn't want any famous actors cause it would draw the attention away from the story. Schwimmer is the only one that is well known. He even looks like Sobel (picture in the book)! Definately the best war series ever made. Now see if Spielberg/Hanks' new series set in the pacific can top BoB.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
bird

Post by bird »

That sounds good when is that surposed to be comming out?
On the road to recovery.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Not sure, probably next year.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

I agree, Schwimmer played the part very well, in fact I don't think there was any scenes that I didn't like in the series. Damned fine buy if y'all ask me, however I got them recorded when they wus on the Tivi.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

I don't like how the majority of programs or films amde about WW2 focus on the yanks, anyone would think the Yanks won the war single handedly. I know that the reason for this is simple as the biggest budget films & TV shows are US made, but it really annoys me. The bloody yanks probably wouldn't have even come to Europe if the Jap's didn't attack Pearl Harbour. Refrence U-571, I believe that Uncle Sam never captured one Enigma, it was all the work of good ol' Blighty!
Seven

Post by Seven »

I think the "overview" type films show plenty of the British involvement (The longest day, A Bridge too far, battle of britain etc.). The newer generation of pictures are more focused on the personal suffering of soldiers in battle. You can't involve every participating country in such a movie. Like you said, if the British want to highlight their involvement in WWII they should make their own movies. U-571 was shot down even in the american press for being unrealistic.
By the way did anyone see "To end all wars" on BBC2 a couple of weeks ago? Thought that was pretty much focused on British soldiers!
Mark Twain
Liver

Post by Liver »

To end all wars is a brilliant film - bout scots aswell :P - even better cos im in south east asia - friend of mine watched it and severly disliked the japanise for a few weeks afterwards :lol: