Share This Page:

REMF?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Stephen

REMF?

Post by Stephen »

Call me a mong, but I'm a bit unsure of what this means..?

My uncle has told me he served 2 Para and REMF (?)... to quote from the Para 'Find a Friend' service profile of himself:

"Served with 2 Para from 1981, initially with 6 Plt B Coy on the top floor in Brunevel Barracks in Aldershot (twinned with Moss Side) before moving over to the Signals Plt (Yeah, 'remf' and proud of it, at least I didn't get wet when it pissed down nor did I have to carry a stupid Bergen that towered 4' above my head!) Sadly it didn't last long and it was back to getting wet for me.

Left 2 Para in '86 to do other things Intelligence related before hanging up my sand bags in 1990."

I've heard REMF quoted a few times? Perhaps Chapps could clarify this matter for me? :)
df2inaus

REMF

Post by df2inaus »

Stephen,

I'm no ex-regular myself, but he means he had a rear-echelon role within the Paras and may have taken some friendly slagging for it from the rifle platoons. Sounds like he went back to the rifle platoon/coy? after that.

The combat arms in general may refer to anyone in a support role as a REMF, someone behind the front lines, less likely to see combat, in the Rear Echelon for the most part. It could mean anyone from Artillery to the Int Corps.

Al Gore would be considered a REMF by Vietnam veterans because he was a journalist. He must have been sensitive to veterans' feelings because he kept as quiet as a mouse about his military record when running against Bush, as if his active duty were as embarrasing as Bush's stint in the Air National Guard (Territorials).

Whatever obscenities you hear about "REMF's" or "hats" on this forum, don't let it affect your choice of arm, if you're joining up.

If you were the enemy waging symmetrical warfare, whom would you attack first? I'd go for communications units, supply depots, and combat service units, as the US did against Iraq. Who's really in more danger, then?
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

"REMF" is one of those Vietnam-era Americanisms now galvanized firmly into the coloquial periphery of the English language (makes me smile when I hear some Whitehouse spokesman use the word "SNAFU", too).

Check this out: http://grunt.space.swri.edu/gdream.htm
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

As far as know REMF stands for:
Rear Echelon Mother F~~kers.

For people who serve in the rear echelons away from the front line. But like what someone as already pointed out. In todays day and age probaly in more danger than front line troops.

Cav-Lad
minimac

Post by minimac »

Is SNAFU sit normal, all fuc*ked up??

Is there a different USA version??

T
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Minimac.
That is the US version.
:D.
Wholley.
:o
minimac

Post by minimac »

Cheer Wholley.

Whats the UK version then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

T
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

Here's somemore for you kido's
rack monster - likes to sleep; "He's a f#cken rack monster"
rack bed; to sleep: "Get some rack"
heat slut- likes heat
grease wheel-pizza
kit explosion-all f#cked up, messy kit
helmet fire- panic
zero dark buffalo- early in the am
fart sack- sleeping bag, bed
blue rocket- port-o- john
growlies- food
black cadillacks- mode of transportation: Combat Boots
MLecopter- MLVW
bang/boom stick- rifle
forced fun- Coy/Bn sports
bangy boards- military cross country skiis
go to ground-go to bed/sleep
bug out- leave
Larry- doofus
APS- right out of 'er
glue bag- right out of 'er

then of course my favorite "wobbly pops."
these are the ones that come out the most although there are plently more which escape throughmy entoxication.

Some good sayings which always humour me are..

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it.
That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." -Army's magazine
of preventive maintenance.

American MRE's say "Place on rock or something."

"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate.
The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." U.S.A.F.Ammo Troop
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.