Share This Page:

Improving BFT time....

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
gunner75

Improving BFT time....

Post by gunner75 »

Is the pass time for the Airborne BFT still 9mins30secs? If so has anyone got any suggestions/advise for achieving or improving upon this? Im just getting back into the swing of things after a lay off due to injury and Im doing 1.5milers but my times vary from just over 9.30 to upto 11.40. Any suggestions or routines I could follow much appreciated!
'Every man an Emperor'
RobT

Post by RobT »

Chris, are you trying to get that time before going for the Pre-para course? :angel:
Last edited by RobT on Thu 11 Mar, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Yep under 9:30 it is

and Rob T:
Do the Army accept that some people are just plain big c**nts who can't run? Do they let you off is its the case?
The Boy Scouts it aint.

The best method to improve your running time over this short distance is interval/fartlek training and by acquiring some bottle.

The interval/farlek method is simple and has been covered several times on the forum - basically you run at normal pace then sprint a set distance and then return to normal running pace, repeat the process until you are well and truly knackered.

As for bottle - you have to dig that one out yourself :D
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Too right Contractor. 8)
Fartlek has been flogged a bit. Use search. It means "fun at speed" Find a straight bit of road with lamp posts at regular intervals, about half a mile long. Sprint one gap, drop back on yer pace for one gap. Repeat at each lamp post interval. When you are happy sprinting every other lamp post, try sprinting for two intervals, Eventually you will be able to sprint the whole half mile. Next, find a straight bit of road, which is uphill all the way....
Ref BFT`s, I made it a personal goal to always improve on my previous year`s time. Using Brig Julian Thompson (who managed to do the same thing) as my target, I last ran a BFT (at the age of thirty nine), and my time for the run back was nine mins twelve.
Best tip I can give you, besides fartlek, is to open yer legs. :wink:
Aye, snakes, racing, for the use of :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Racing snake indeed Harry. Good effort. My last BFT was 9:20, then again I was 40 8)

Used to be one of my major headaches trying to get recruits from training both male and female, to pass the BFT, I know it is different with Royal as you receive the finished product after their lengthy training. Not the case with the Army, especially the Corps.

Endless additional PT time allocated to get them up to standard; the frustrating part was mainly the lack of bottle. Still, used to clear the head first thing if one had the odd pint or two in the Mess the night before. :D
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

My last BFT time was 08:01 - gen :D

I'm not a great natural runner - just worked hard. Lots of interval training. I do a 4 mile interval session twice a week - 90 secs jog, 60 secs sprint. It nearly makes me sick every time but it works.

Also playing 5-a-side football is good as it is a lot of sprinting. Played for 90 minutes straight last night.
mike_B

Post by mike_B »

I was at a para interview the last week (officer).

The interviews were running late and a C/Sgt came in and reluctantly started speaking to the remaining interviewees. He reckoned a good 'time to impress' was 7:30....and anything near that is good. Certainly for officers, they say the time is 9.30, but expect you to do it a lot quicker.
When you think about it, top marathon runners run 5 min miles for 26 miles, so it cant be that hard to keep it up for 1.5 miles! (he says, opening himself up to a worl of shit).

Last time i timed myself on a hilly course, just over 1.5 miles was 8:55, im pretty confident i can get it down in a couple of months training. Good luck to everyone, my suggestion is just get out and run at least twice a week and play a sport like rugby.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Thankyou all for your replies!
I shall incorporate 'fartlek' into my routine it sounds ideal. Like I said Im just coming round from a lengthy injury so I think one step at a time, Im sure my times will start to stabilise. When I was at 4para my times were usually around the 8.20 to 8.30 mark,but then I was a slighter build and younger. Now Im a bit heftier due to lifting weights and not running due to being injured for some time.
Iv been follwing religously the routines that my Physio has given me and they have served me well but I reckon its now time to up the pace abit!
'Every man an Emperor'