Share This Page:

Feet problems when Tabbing

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
pezmod

Feet problems when Tabbing

Post by pezmod »

I have no real problem Tabbing, I can easy keep up with the front if only I can fight the pain in my feet.
I suffer badly from blisters. But the main ploblem is cramp in my toes.
I've tried taping my feet up, wear two pairs of socks big boots tight boots but I always have trouble with my feet.
If only I could sort my feet out then I would have no problem as the actual physical side of tabbing I have no trouble with.
So I thought I will ask the experts what is your advice on preventing blisters, hoyspots and all round feet problems while on a tab.
Any advive would be very welcome.
mike_B

Post by mike_B »

Mate, Tabbing isn't meant to be easy. You're feet are gonna hurt, so just get on with it, everyone's do.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

For blister prevention i'd say at night rub down the soles of your feet with some methylated spirit, this has the effect of toughening up the skin, therefore more resistance to any grief caused by boots rubbing against your feet. I'd recommend wearing a thin pair of socks under a second more thicker pair to counter act any rubbing. Failing that get some of them second skin plasters from a chemist or somewhere They are pretty good at protecting fresh blisters although slightly more expensive than good old microporous tape.
In answer to your problem with cramp in your toes, that could be related to not having enough flexibility in your feet. Id say do calf muscle stretches and then some... say bout 3x30secs, 3 times a day or better. I had problems with my feet and tried a whole host of things to get over them but at the end of the day all that was needed was more work on muscle stretching/strengthening particularly for my calfs. I was told by my physio that tight calfs are responsible for the majority of lower leg/feet problems so with this in mind I concentrated on stretching more during the day and before and after exercise. Hey presto after about 1 or 2 weeks my problems had sorted themselves out!
'Every man an Emperor'
Tab

Post by Tab »

I agree gunner you have written most of what I was going to say. I think a lot of it is all down to luck, as I never got a blister the whole time i was in the army. May be the boots fitted well, may be we had the right kind of heavy woollen socks, or may be it was just dead lucky. Or may be our skin was a bit harder one will never know.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Chapps

Feet

Post by Chapps »

If you think you have problems tabbing now, how do you think you would have done with a pair of DMS boots thrown at you. Prior to the combat high boot being issued to the blokes some time after the Falklands, you had to Tabb in the same bloody things as the Guards used for stagging on outside Buck House.

I remember when I was doing P-Coy during the 17 miler, I was ok despite the gibbering cold and the rain until it was time to start coming down Pen Y Fan. The issue boots I had ripped my toes apart and the pain was something else.

With the new boots that are available today that need almost no wearing in, waterproof, insulating and provide fantastic comfort & protection I really do envy young guys going through depot now.

If anyone remembers the 'road slapper' plimsoles we were issued for running during depot then it will bring back vivid memories of how sh*t the British Army Kit was then and that even Para Reg suffered from the bullshit of bedblocks and the stupid regulations about wearing issue kit only, when you had a pair of trainers in your suitcase that would have given you that extra bit of help on the early morning runs over to the training area.

Gunner 75 has made some sensible points regarding PP. I would add a couple of things though -

1) Try making sure you have plenty of salt in your scoff to help delay cramp.

2) Get one of your mates to push the knuckles of his fist in the arch of your foot and twist it in, this will help with making the muscle more subtle. (its also good a remedy for a kick in the nuts!)
nbforrest

Blisters

Post by nbforrest »

As a former Combat Medic I treated plenty of blisters. Opinions vary. I always recommend 100 mile an hour tape next to the skin, provided you have a chance to change socks. The changing of socks and use of foot powder was insisted on by me for the grunts I humped with. Part of my PCCIs was to ensure all the Joes had socks in ziplock bags and a tube of foot powder.
Once you get blisters, if you can find someone with ticture of Benzoin, have him draw the fluid out of the blister and then inject the Tincture. Whitey, one of my former Medics, will scream at me for telling you this, but it works.
Toe cramps, dude, sounds like your boots, the part known as the box doesn't fit properly. As you are marching the toes are jamming up against the front of the boot. Make sure you step heel to toe and not just slog along. When I was a Drill Sergeant at Knox, we saw it all the time from Joe trying to shuffle down one of the many hills at Ft. Knox.

Finally, some times ya gotta just suck it up and drive on.
life is hard, its harder if you're stupid.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Actually Nbforrest is right, benzoin tincture works great, but they say it ain't healthy. It hurts bad too, and doesn't stop for like an hour. But you will never have feet problems again. Best thing to do is just suck it up and toughen your feet and stop getting pedicures. Teva sandles with no socks work after awhile, the friction makes callus'.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

I'm sure this has been in the back of all your minds (and for good reason) but doesn't peeing on your feet work? I just want to know if it really does work, I'm NOT eager to try it mind you :o
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

BTW, Try lacing your boots differently, not too tight and skip the eyelet that crosses over the top of your ankle, bigger boots might help as would a motrin before you start off. When I went to selection towards the end my feet were torn up, mostly due to wet boots and socks for the last 11 days, so I just did the only thing I could, I marched on and thought about sex. Really though in your situation you need good boots and to tear your feet up reel good one time, when they heal you'll be able to walk on hot coals. My feet are still like leather after a year of flogging my dolphin around school. Its just part of the job getting painful dings and stuff. Enjoy it, it will be the best time of your life looking back.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
got1

Post by got1 »

Did what they called heat trials many moons ago.2 weeks England, 2weeks Aden, 2 weeks England.
12 miles every morning for 6 weeks.
Before it all started 2 Pji's that had done the walk across America[east to west i think] came and gave us a talk on how to look after our feet.
I think it was Tab who said it just depends on your feet some stand up to it some don't.I think thats right.
The tips those 2 guys gave us [the ones i remember] were draw the blisters with syringe, you will think your teeth are coming out, but it keeps the skin intact and keeps the area clean,the tip i used was take a needle and a small piece of thread, pass needle through the blister and leave the thread sticking out both ends of the hole, this lets air into the area but leaves the skin on. Seen some really bad cases but was quite lucky myself. The only thing i would add is it is agony to start walking again after
a long stop,but you wiil get over it.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Try hardening the skin on your feet, soak them in meths as often as possible also go around barefoot as much possible and really harden up that skin on your feet.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: