Share This Page:

Are Foreign Languages useful in the Paras

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
WOW! That hurt.

Are Foreign Languages useful in the Paras

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

I speak German (Not fluently, but well enough to get whatever I need or a point across) and I was wondering if the army would find that at all useful. I have a knack for languages overall. I used to speak Spanish very well, too, until I learned German. So as a Para, would this skill be useful at all or is just something that will atrophy and die under the avalanche of whoop @$$ that training will bring.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Tab

Re: Are Foreign Languages useful in the Paras

Post by Tab »

Any skill is a plus, but if you spoke Arabic, or some languages where there is current fighting then that would be a bigger plus. Also you will find that many Germans speak English any way these days.
WOW! That hurt.

Yea, I figured that would pretty much be the case. Although Spanish does have a lot of Arabic influence due to the Muslims controlling Spain and various other Southern European territories for 400 some odd years. Would you know if a soldier could ask to be put in an Arabic language course (Although, I think the Afghans speak pushtin) if he shows he has a history of speaking other languages??

Yea, most Germans do speak English better than native English speakers these days, except for the Bavarians, I find. Which is really annoying, because they speak with the really weird and difficult accent.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I'm a RAF linguist (French, German, Russian, Arabic, Pashto)
I have met the occasional para doing language training, so it is certainly possible. You don't just ask though, you have to pass a language aptitude test, and I know people who have failed it, despite being at least bi-lingual! (Not saying you will fail, just don't take passing it as a given)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
WOW! That hurt.

Thanks for the info. The testing thing sounds fair enough. When I was in Highschool in California there were Spanish speaking Mexicans who failed the Spanish learners' class. So I can see why it would be in place.

Just out of curiousity, what competancy did the RAF train you to in those languages?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Diploma - 18 month course.
But that's because it's my primary role. Most people who do it as a voluntary thing do 15 months or less.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Having a skill like that will benefit you in ALL walks of life not just the forces. I too can speak a bit of the old German due to being an army brat over there as a kid while my dad served. If your that way inclined and you get the oportunity to learn go for it! I always took oportunities presented to me with both hands and made the most of them. It certainly served me well in life!
'Every man an Emperor'