Share This Page:

Possibly lactose intolerant- can i still join?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Para-quinn

Possibly lactose intolerant- can i still join?

Post by Para-quinn »

Can someone who is lactose intolerant still join up? Or can it be a bar to entry?? Im asking this as every time i dtink milk i have bloating of the stomach excessive gas and paims when i run. I would like to think it is just a dietry requirement such as vegetarian but want to make sure it would be ok if i am!

Thanks in advance
Barb: passed
Key skills: passed
Pre selection: passed
Adsc: passed
Prac:passed
Para depot: march 18th, 749 tamera platoon
Marine pressups: 70
Situps: 79
Heaves:14
Run time- 8.33
Tab

Re: Possibly lactose intolerant- can i still join?

Post by Tab »

No one will cut you any slack during the P course now if you think you have problem that will hold you back, what do you think will happen
Para-quinn

Post by Para-quinn »

Tab wrote:No one will cut you any slack during the P course now if you think you have problem that will hold you back, what do you think will happen
I don't really think that reply made any sense to the question that I asked? I wasn't looking for any advice or asking for any sympathy/slack. My question was too simply find out if being lactose intolerant is a bar to entry? Now I'm definitely not completely lactose intolerant as I can have dairy products but if I consume too much then this is where the problems start to set in. I respect your status, however do you really think sly remarks are going to help people?
Run time- 8.33
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

You'll be best asking your AFCO, but I doubt it would be a bar to entry. It may just be something that you have to deal with.
"Chin up, crack on"
Para-quinn

Post by Para-quinn »

Amphibian wrote:You'll be best asking your AFCO, but I doubt it would be a bar to entry. It may just be something that you have to deal with.
thanks mate. Ye that's what i thought, i can just avoid drinking milk fairly easily throughout training and im sure there isn't going to be an abundant of milk in Afghanistan. I dont think i will even bother getting tested for as its something i can deal with myself. If it was nuts or something more serious where i cant control what i consume then i would make more of a deal about it and probably expect to not get into the armed forces.

Amphibian, im going on a paras insight course tomorrow and was wandering if you knew what sort of things we will be put through regarding phys?? im praying we wil be allowed to do some of the obstacles on the trainasium!!!!
Run time- 8.33
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

I think you'll be doing familiarisation runs and they'll get you doing group challenges and possibly work on the assault course. Iv not been so I wouldn't know, but this is what you can probably expect.

Best of luck with it mate.
"Chin up, crack on"
Para-quinn

Post by Para-quinn »

Amphibian wrote:I think you'll be doing familiarisation runs and they'll get you doing group challenges and possibly work on the assault course. Iv not been so I wouldn't know, but this is what you can probably expect.

Best of luck with it mate.
cheers mate
Run time- 8.33
Tab

Post by Tab »

When you are out of camp your meals will be restricted by what is in your ration packs and there could well be products with milk in them.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Depends how severe the intolerance is I suppose. If its a case of ANY dairy products and you bloat or wether it only happens if you drink a glass of milk. Tab makes a valid point though, you should try different amounts of dairy and see how it affects you and log it down. If its severe you may have to tell someone.
"Chin up, crack on"
Tab

Post by Tab »

They will check his Medical Records and if they find he has been lying about any thing then he will be shown the door.
Para-quinn

Post by Para-quinn »

There is nothing on my records to say that i have any intolerance to lactoseit. I only get mild stomach alterations when i drink a large amount. Things like cups of tea, cakes, butter ect are all fine. So it will just be a case of not drinking milkshakes ect and working around it which is pretty simple
Run time- 8.33
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Sounds like you'll be fine then Para
"Chin up, crack on"
Tab

Post by Tab »

If your doctor has never treated you then how do you know just what is wrong with you, or is this a self diagnose. If it is a self diagnoses then how do you know you have got it right.
Para-quinn

Post by Para-quinn »

Tab wrote:If your doctor has never treated you then how do you know just what is wrong with you, or is this a self diagnose. If it is a self diagnoses then how do you know you have got it right.
It is a self diagnosis which i know you can never be 100% sure that you are correct but with a little experiment i did recently i am 99% sure. Basically i stopped drinking milk completleymfor 5 dayss and incurred no discompforts, extra gas or cramps when running. After the 5th day i drank a milkshake and later that night my stomach wasnt right and had alot more gas than usual. Ive recently been drinkingnlactose free milk and it is fine. Dairy products do not seem to effect me such as eggs, butter, mayonaise ect so although i haven't been to the docs to have an official test conducted i feel there is no need as i know what affects me and can just stay clear of it.
Run time- 8.33
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

right. you get the shits/gas when having dairy products, namely milk. NO it is not a bar, trust me I know. However for you personal admin is going to be key from now on so like most things in life you will have to crack on and deal with it. so NO guzzling 4 weetabix in the scoff house - full english instead. its only a bar if your worried enough to be posting on here to make it one.
'Every man an Emperor'