Share This Page:

Royal Marines or PARAs

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
MKULTRA

Royal Marines or PARAs

Post by MKULTRA »

Trying to decide over the Royal Marines or the PARAS is probably one of the most difficult decisions I have had to try and make.
For every good quality one has, the other has the same.

Just a few questions about stuff, Its not really in aid of trying to decide, the reason I mentioned trying to decide is because its not definitely the PARAs that I will be joining.

1, I'm a Muay Thai kickboxer, will I still be able to train regularly?
I'm also a keen gymnast, will I still have enough time to practice that too?

2, What are the living conditions like?
This isn't something I have a problem with, its just I'm curious because I have never actually seen what its like.
I have seen the Full Metal Jacket kind of thing with a room full of beds, but I heard they get tiny rooms after training and becoming a soldier, is that true?
Like I said I don't mind either way, its just I'm curious.
Are there any pictures of military living conditions on the net?

3, I am thinking of trying to get some grades that I couldn't get from school.
When I was 16 I had to leave and get a job to support my family, even though I got a lot of As and Bs in a lot of my classes and never got to get my GCSEs or firther any of my education.
I understand that the military isn't there to get me into college, but I will have money and I was wandering if I will have time to maybe do some open university GCSEs where they send everything to me after paying for it?
timex

Re: Royal Marines or PARAs

Post by timex »

MKULTRA wrote:Trying to decide over the Royal Marines or the PARAS is probably one of the most difficult decisions I have had to try and make.
For every good quality one has, the other has the same.

Both are good at what they do, its your choice as to who you join.

Just a few questions about stuff, Its not really in aid of trying to decide, the reason I mentioned trying to decide is because its not definitely the PARAs that I will be joining.

1, I'm a Muay Thai kickboxer, will I still be able to train regularly?
I'm also a keen gymnast, will I still have enough time to practice that too?

Once you finish training you will have ample time to train, you'll just need to find somewhere to do it!

2, What are the living conditions like?
This isn't something I have a problem with, its just I'm curious because I have never actually seen what its like.
I have seen the Full Metal Jacket kind of thing with a room full of beds, but I heard they get tiny rooms after training and becoming a soldier, is that true?
Like I said I don't mind either way, its just I'm curious.
Are there any pictures of military living conditions on the net?

Forget things like "Full Metal Jacket", do some research on the numerous Army/RN websites.

3, I am thinking of trying to get some grades that I couldn't get from school.
When I was 16 I had to leave and get a job to support my family, even though I got a lot of As and Bs in a lot of my classes and never got to get my GCSEs or firther any of my education.
I understand that the military isn't there to get me into college, but I will have money and I was wandering if I will have time to maybe do some open university GCSEs where they send everything to me after paying for it?

You can continue Education in the Military and will even be able to attend free classes although I think you will have to pay for the exams (you also get an annual education grant).
timex

Post by timex »

Tab

Post by Tab »

Its about time you grew up and made a decision for your self. If you take some ones advice and make the wrong choice you will go around blaming them for ever. If you can't make up your mind then flip a coin for which to join then the only person to blame is Lady Luck
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

Tab wrote:Its about time you grew up and made a decision for your self. If you take some ones advice and make the wrong choice you will go around blaming them for ever. If you can't make up your mind then flip a coin for which to join then the only person to blame is Lady Luck
Don't you think you were a bit out of order there?

I wasn't asking for somebody to make up my mind.

I was asking for some information that I haven't been able to find on other sites, and depending on what I get told, it might aid my decision.

The only part of this post that even implies what you wrote was in the title bar.
owdun

Post by owdun »

Spend a little of your time going through the thousands of posts on the Para and Royal Marine threads and you will find all the answers you want,that is what these forums are for.
Tab

Post by Tab »

No just what do you want out of the Army and what can you give back. If some one that doesn't know yet just what they want, then you will be an open Target
Delta4orce

Post by Delta4orce »

Many kickboxers and the like have fell by the wayside going through this type of training,alot of this type of training is a mental issue with most people and if you can deal with that you will do fine,but you need to ask yourself why you are joining these types of regiments ?ego ?
I would sit back and think hard about what you are letting yourself in for,then when you decide why you are joining units like this,that will be your answer.
Good luck with whatever you choose,as for your questions,the para battalions did have regimental boxing teams to train with,but that would be to box,but you would be allowed to use their equipment as i did,as for gymnastics.lol

Personally i would get the exams you want first and that will give you time to sort out what you want to do later. :wink:
Ready For Anything !
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Thankyou for your input.
You are.......?
Just asking,more out of boredom with this kind of post.But as you are the one in the"know"pray continue.
Delta4orce

Post by Delta4orce »

Hello mate,iv been around you might say,lol been out the services a while,served in Djibouti with the Foreign Legion in the mid late 80's,then early 90's joined 3para past out with 541 platoon,yes I'm old now,but pretty wise.

Surprised your bored mate. Lol

Take it easy Darren. :wink:
Ready For Anything !
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

The FFL then 3 Para?
You have piqued my interest.
Digging a hole comes to mind.
But then what would I know.
Sheeps?
Cows?
That smell again?
Thats it........Bullshit.
No offense obviouisly.
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

Look, basically, I have just turned 21 years old, I have wanted to be a high level stunt man, and action choreographer for years, its my life goal, I don't really want to do anything else.

I have been taking life easy through college thinking "I have all the time in the world, chill out" and I did and I had a good time, all the while not doing anything but training martial arts and free running and Parkour/gymnastics and basically being the stupidly fearless and over active person I am, I woke up one day and said.... "HOLY f@#k! I'M NOW OFFICIALLY IN MY 20'S!! AND I AM NO CLOSER TO MY LIFE GOALS?!?!", and I am getting a bit older now, my teens are gone and my time to chill out and not take life seriously are over, and now its time to start working towards my goals, and at my age I need to work quick, because its around the age of 35 when stunt men retire and become stunt coordinators and choreographers and they can only do that when they have ample experience, and I only have 14 years left to get that experience to make the transition.

I think I can do the training, I watched "Commando on the front line", I have read through the booklets, watched the DVDs the army have given me and it looks doable, in fact think the training will be for fun than a challenge.
I heard the Royal Marines only have to do 6 chin ups to get in... really? LOL!! do I get to jump straight to the SAS because I can do more than 40? Just kidding, but seriously, only 6?

I remember watching commando on the front line back when it was on in '07 (at age 17 :( ) and I remember some guy wanted to join because he wanted to be a stunt man in America, and even though I didn't follow the series and only saw about 3 episodes, I never forgot that it wasn't a bad idea to do if my desired career isn't too easy to get into, because if he manages to get a career because of that move, then don't cross the military out.

One thing I have always wanted to do, but never got the chance due to money issues, is jump out of a plane, I got to bungee jump in France back in '09, but never got to jump out of a plane... I know.... sad right? :cry:

So I think the PARAS would be more to my liking, rather than Marines, and they are more hardcore than most military regiments too, probably makes a bit more of a challenge (even though they only need to do 6 chin ups).
Plus I don't know anything about combat, I think being trained in modern combat might help with my career, I would kinda look like a stupid hypocrite on a movie set trying to direct combat, and not knowing jack shit about it.

That's why I want to join.
timex

Post by timex »

So basically it doesn't matter wether it's RM or Para as its only a way of improving your cv? I'd really suggest you don't bother, their is a long list of people desperate to join for all the right reasons.
MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA »

timex wrote:So basically it doesn't matter wether it's RM or Para as its only a way of improving your cv? I'd really suggest you don't bother, their is a long list of people desperate to join for all the right reasons.
What are the right reasons?

I am going to take it seriously.

I will provide them with what they want, I will train hard, I will learn, I'm not scared of anything, I will become what they want me to become.

I'm always after a new challenge, and I'm actually quite excited to some of the challenges they will give me.

If I do that, then in return they give me what I want, like you said, something more impressive on my stunt man CV.

Why am I wrong for that?
What is the right reason?
charnock1990

Post by charnock1990 »

i'm kinda getting the jist that all you want to do is be a stunt man, and the only way you will get there is if you go in the Para's or marines!That is not a good reason to join up! I applied in october 2009 but have been injured, now i have my date to start in May i cant wait! The Para's is all i have ever wanted to do, and you just want it as a stepping stone! I wouldnt bother mate.