Share This Page:

Information on the parachute regiment

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Dunedain

Information on the parachute regiment

Post by Dunedain »

Hi All

I have recently applied to join the parachute regiment and have a few questions.
1) Do you get to train overseas, when and how often?
2) Is there anywhere I can find up to date information and maybe some pictures of the different battalions? (I know the regiment website, I can only find old pictures, Lots of lads with big moustaches. lol)
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against moustaches I just can’t grow a good one, I’m afraid I may look out of place. :D
3) Do you get to serve with any of those you train with? For example join the same battalion.
4) Where have the paras been recently, last 6 months?
5) I read someplace that the majority of applicants are 18 to 19 years of age is this true? I am 25 will I be one of the oldest?
It seems that the marines get much more coverage then the paras so I have found it hard to get answers to these questions. Any help would be appreciated and sorry if some of the questions seem green but I am new to this.

Many thanks
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Dear Dunedain,

You come across as far too polite for the Parachute Regiment. May I suggest that you rethink your career choices and perhaps aim for something more to your gentlemanly standards, such as the Royal Marines.

Standing by for the incoming, but remember I was a pretty good mortar troop sergeant, so you will get it back again in spades.

Aye - Andy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ABI

Post by ABI »

Dunedain

Ignore Mr O'Pray's comments, do not be taken in by the vaneer of politeness for he is from the darkside.

Back to the questions in hand.

Yes, you train overseas on a regular basis, usually once a year. I went on trips to Norway x 4, USA x 2, Germany, France, Austria and Kenya in a seven year period.

Pictures of the Battalions, sorry can't help you there the MOD site is about a year out of date. Try the Op Telic link they may still have some on there.

Yes, you do serve with the blokes you go through training with and some of the staff as well. It may depend on which Battalion you get sent to, however 99% of my training platoon went to the same Battalion.

Last 6 mths tours (don't you watch the news). The Parachute Regiment has undertaken operational tours in Iraq, Afganistan, Kosovo, Macedonia, Sierria Leone, Northern Ireland and still carried out normal training activities in the last five years.

Being 25 yrs old will make you one of the oldest in your platoon I would guess.

Hope this helps.
Dunedain

Thanks for the information ABI

Post by Dunedain »

That is helpful. I have looked at the MOD site and found loads more info.
Many thanks ABI
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Last 6 mths tours (don't you watch the news). The Parachute Regiment has undertaken operational tours in Iraq, Afganistan, Kosovo, Macedonia, Sierria Leone, Northern Ireland and still carried out normal training activities in the last five years.
Royal Marine patrolling in Kabul is asked by an enthusiastic journalist. "What are you doing?"
"Making it safe for the Paras to take over."
:lol: :lol: :lol: Honest! Don't do it Dune, you'll ruin your command of the language. They run a special course, Grunting by Numbers. 8)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
ABI

Post by ABI »

Paratrooper patrolling Port Stanley is asked by an enthusiastic journalist

"What are you doing"

"Making it safe for the Marines to take over"

15, love
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

ITV journo, on board. Unsuccessfully tries to interview Booty, trying to get some scran down his neck, asked about his experiances...
"What d`yer want? War stories?"
"Oh yes, please"
"Best you talk to the Paras then"
Carries on eating.
15 all :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
ABI

Post by ABI »

Well all I can say is that the Marine knew which unit had been in the thick of it.

30-15

Buy the way I haven't a clue about tennis scores can we change to Rugby or footy
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

I thought this was a Rugby score...
Royal Marines 30 Paras 15

I'll be over here in my scrape awaiting the inkummmiiiinnngggg
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
ABI

Post by ABI »

RUGBY.........RUGBY.........blimey Sticks, after the way the Navy (which includes the RM's) played at the weekend I think you lot should take up rounders and play against the Girl Guides you might just win then.

Were's me helmet, I can see the Prez and Mr B hovering in the distance with HH and Mr O'P as underslung loads.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Pssssst........we're behind you. :black: :black:
El Presidente
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

My, my. That ABI fellow is a saucy chap. I make that love, love all around and I chose to be first to diddle him.

Aye - Andy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ABI

Post by ABI »

Prez

Some things never change, Marines behind the Para's..............you said it

Mr O'P

Diddle me will you!!..........have to catch me first suger plum.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

For those who appreciate banter please relax and enjoy the next sentence, comfy....ready. ABI is joining the nutters and having a crack at the 30 miler; need I say more. The terms 'torrid time', 'piss taking', and 'is he really dead', come to mind. :lol:

Oh another one, 'Come on Perce, mummy will be waiting'. 8)

Should be a good weekend, if you are not going you are missing a treat, there's still time!
El Presidente
ABI

Post by ABI »

Prez

Don't worry I've got my ear defenders packed.