Share This Page:

Tinitus

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
ratso

Post by ratso »

I had my award back a few weeks ago, needless to say I have already sent a form back to ask for it to be re-assessed. I have over the last few months talked to lots of veterans and the level of award for the same level of injury differs considerably. It all depends on the Doctor reviewing your notes.

I have Titinus, yes even between the missuses pair I still hear ringing, don't half keep the lugs warm though.
I find the worst time is watching TV the noise is a real distraction though the years have made it easier.

I would advise anyone who has any injury no matter how trivial or small to make sure that you make a claim. It makes all the difference in later life if you do it early. I wish I had done it eighteen years ago.
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

I posted somewhere on the finance pages about WP assessments. In case it hasn't been seen this may interest those reading these posts.
I received a call from a manager at the WP agency office in Liverpool, wanting to conduct an audit and home visit. I had been stuffed about by a lady doc previously but agreed to the visit as I was assurred it was for my own good, but by no means compulsory.
This gentleman arrived, proved immediately he had read my medical notes thoroughly and advised me to make a further claim against the MOD for 3 other injuries which were and are due to service. It's not all bad at the Vets Agency, they are human, make mistakes and take ages to complete any task. But you must claim, and counter claim if, like Ratso, you are unhappy with their decision, any award is backdated, hence the need to start documenting your claim.
PS The paper chase and complaints procedure against a decision or member of staff is lengthy and wearing.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
bean

Post by bean »

I made a claim due to my hearing loss and tinnitus about 5 years ago. I was also a HW mortars, After 30 min check up in a sound booth in Newcastle I went home to wait for there reply. What I got was a little green card from the War pensions office giving me free prescription if needed a hearing aide later in life. I am still deaf as a post but can,t bring myself to wear one :)

bean
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail. - Confucius
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

They now have super dooper digital hearing aids on the NHS, I'm not sure if they are MP3 compatible, but it'd be fun soldering around the thing to rig it up. :lol:
El Presidente
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Lee

I made my claim in 1977 when I left the Corps, (also HW Mortars), and they diagnosed High Tone deafness, less than 20%. Combined with an ankle injury, that provided enough disablement to qualify for a lower limit War Pension. However, my hearing problem is when there is more than one noise source, I can't make out any of the detail. I have to pretty much lip read the person I am talking to if there are any other noises. If I'm on the phone and there is another noise, it all becomes garbled.
In this case a hearing aid is of no help at all; in fact it would make things worse, as it just increases the incoming collection of noises.
Have they told you whether the diagnosis is deafness or High Tone deafness?
[img]http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Snoopy.gif[/img] So far.....so good........but watch your six!
bean

Post by bean »

As I remember it was high tone deafness. I seems similar to what you described , if their is any other noise I can,t hear people specking clearly. Mind you it has its uses it dives my wife nuts, sorry dear what was that :)

My problem is as well at this late stage is that I carried on in the firearms world so stun grenades and distraction devices have all taken their toll.

Lee
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail. - Confucius
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Lee

That's high tone deafness, and a free prescription for a hearing aid is a joke. They should have told you the percentage of your deafness, as that is the only way they can monitor if it's getting worse! I drive my family nuts too, they ask if I'm deaf, and I just say, 'pardon?'. It can be embarrassing in company though when I say 'yes' to an obvious question, and it should have been a definite 'no'!

I remember when I was first assessed, and it wasn't bad enough for a pension, I was awarded a cash sum. That may have changed, but I feel you should go back to them, and get it checked out. I take it the stun grenades etc were with the Police? Don't they have a similar pension assessment process? In any case, if your condition has worsened over the last 5 years, then you should ask for another appointment.
[img]http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Snoopy.gif[/img] So far.....so good........but watch your six!
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

Once you could claim for tinnitis but that is no longer the case but there are exceptions. A friend of mine was awarded a lump sum for partial deafness and tinnitis some 10 years or more ago due to service, unfortunately he now has to wear two hearing aids, the tinnitis screams in his head and just last month he was awarded a WP for this, he would of course prefer not to have this problem.

I myself suffer from tinnitis which fortunately for me is not severe, but I do receive a war pension for part deafness and vertigo plus two other service related injuries at the 40% rate, again I would prefer to be 100% fit rather than 40% disabled.

It is important that if you think you have a service related injury then make that claim, the WPA/VA will not contact you, if anyone wants any details please PM me. I was successful in appealing against the original decision in January 2003 in a court in London, this took 18 months but persevere, I am awaiting for a further appeal hearing to have this backdated when the RAF caused my injury. Stay tuned...........
scaleyback

Post by scaleyback »

Interesting to read others experiences.

I left the Army with what they described in my final medical as Noise Induced Deafness, in 1996. Since then it has been diagnosed as tinitus, probably no difference other than the terms used. Its the same thing to me, constant ringing in the ears and partially deaf, particularly high pitched tones.

Never claimed, no particular reason really, it just never entered my mind to claim. Maybe I should.
scaleyback

Post by scaleyback »

Well got the ball rolling on this one. I emailed the RBL using an address listed on their site specifically for claims info, they replied and said they would send me a claim form for a War Pension. I looked up 'War Pensions' on the www and found the rather handy site; http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/index.htm

Its worth noting that if you claim for hearing loss you have to be judged over 20% disabled to get anything. Which didnt please me much as laying in bed at night with ringing in the ears and not hearing conversations in noisy places is often living hell. Still, claim is being sorted. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is and found out precisely how bad my hearing is. I know I recently failed a hearing test in an employment medical.
I'm also claiming for an ankle injury which I picked up in Cyprus and was operated on by a whole host of dodgy military surgeons. That left me with permanent damage.

Also note that if an injury or disablement was caused through negligence on the employers part there is a 3 year time limit to making a claim.

I kind of wish I did this ages ago, only really gave it serious thought after reading this thread! Given todays compensation culture I've always laughed off peoples suggestions of making claims for my injuries.
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

ABI, I thought that you might like to see this wee bit of info.

Noise induced hearing loss: A retired Major Nick Lawson appealing a decision by the WPA refusing him a pension for an assessment of 6-14 percent hearing loss.Due to changes in criteria he is not classed as deaf enough to receive a War Pension.Prior to 1993 anyone who was assessed as beingbetween 1-19 percent disabled by deafness would have received a lump sum;while a 20 percent disablement or above meant an ongoing pension was awarded.

Due to a 1993 government decision to bring the scheme into line with industrial pensions those assessed below 20 percent now receive no payment at all. Major Lawson hopes to convince the tribunal that the threshold of 50 decibels of hearing loss currently needed to receive a 20 percent disability assessement,is both too high and unlawful in the face of current medical evidence. It appears that a man would have to live to over 100 years to naturaly experience a hearing loss of 50 decibels,it is clear to see that it is a significant level of deafness.A Professor Lutman Of the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research that such medical research data does exist. A hearing by the pensions Appeal Tribunal was heard on the 24June 2002, and a final decision is yet to be made. This is a very important case,"says Terry English Controller of Welfare for the British Legion".WE wait as the government reassess its policies if there is new medical evidence that challenges the current rules.

I do not know of the outcome of this report ABI I suppose we would need to contact the RBL Controller of Welfare.What do you think.
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

There is a similar thread on Military finance. I'm interested by Spannermans comment on vertigo. According to my info vertigo or Vestibular dysfunction is a direct resultant of noice induced hearing loss and Tinnitus, but my tribunal threw that out as non-attributable. My point is that without the tinnitus I wouldn't have a balance disorder and would still be flying. I do get jarred off at the docs reluctance to accept the volume of evidence, they rely on their old standby, "It can't be proved".
What do you have to do to prove it? any further info would be appreciated, I'm considering appealing again and asking for refferral for a hearing aid, before I drive Nurse up a tree. (Springsteen anybody?) :lol:
El Presidente
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

:-?

Prez

My hearing aid I received via the NHS, it is the pop in style, not behind the ear thingy. I get on with it OK but there are limitations, go outside in anything other than a breeze and you have a force 9 gale blowing through the lugs, alternatively go into a restaurant, plug in and you can hear every knife, fork and spoon from 400 yards away, it sometimes drives me nuts. one of my favourite tricks is to take the plug out and plead ignorance it gets you a pint every time!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Some one once said "it's the bells it the bells" now who was that?
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

Just as an update, I lost my appeal on June 4th in London, if the appeal for backdating to July 14th 1969 had been upheld, I would now be sitting on £70000. :cry: Still its nice to know that the three panel members fees for the day in court totals £900, my pension amounts to nearly £50 per week for 40% disabilities received by THE RAF, that kinda puts it in perspective eh? :fist: