Share This Page:

The twenty eight day club

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
ABI

The twenty eight day club

Post by ABI »

Given that lots of potential bootnecks and para's frequent this site it might be worth the more senior members of this establishment providing them with some info on the less 'palatable' elements of military life.

Or to put it another way, what happens to you if you fall foul of military law. If the younger members of the forum think that HM Forces is run along democratic lines you are in for a shock.

There must be plenty of stories, dits or down right lies knocking about concerning life in the 'digger' or some of the strange and wonderful charges blokes were sentanced under.

My own experiance of being a member of the 1 Para 'silver helmet display team' was an 'interesting' thats for sure.
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

"Look at me like that again and I'll charge you with giving a contemptous look" words from a certain SNCO after being given another change of detail contradicting the boss' detail for the third time... needless to say the SNCO was a knob and he'd got it wrong... again!

Me: "We need to keep the sea on our right to be going north"
SNCO: "Look sprog, I'm the Sergeant and you are not; so do as I say and keep going this way or I'll charge you. I've done two courses and know how to read a map"
two hours later
Me: "Told you!"
THUMP
Me: "Well I did" through a fat lip.
The best form of military discipline!
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Mike

Post by Mike »

Royal, up before the Old Man (skipper) for some minor misdemeanor, was gaven punishment as 2 weekes Nines (extra work & no shore leave) and 2 weeks pay, where upon Royal thanked him, saying that he would piss that in a fortnight! The Old Man with a twinkle in his eye replied that he would make it easier for Royal and increase the duration to a month!? Democracy at work?
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Mike

Post by Mike »

An interesting point for those Royals thinking about taking a cruise with the Grey Funnel Line...... All punishment comes under the Naval Disipline Act.
For major crimes committed on board, such as telling the Jimmy to Piss Off or Nutting the Skipper, a Warrant is served, that means that the punishment cannot be served on board.
To serve a Matelot with a warrent the lowerdeck is cleared to the Quarterdeck(ass/blunt end of the ship) where the prisoner is marched on between two senior rates, cap and lanyard removed and the warrant is then read out before the whole ships company, inc Royal.
If the culprit is a Bootneck, the Warrant is read in private, with only the RM NCO,OCRM, Jimmy, and skipper in attendance. The reason for this is that We(Royal) take the Queens Shilling, while Jack does not.

or so I believe......................some one out there is sure to correct me
Aye
Last edited by Mike on Mon 17 Mar, 2003 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
ABI

Post by ABI »

If a booty is charged in the first week of a 6 month tour on board ship doe's he serve his sentence when he gets back to the UK or is it invoked at the next port?

This sounds similar to the army where a sentence can be differed until the unit returns to the UK.
Mike

Post by Mike »

ABI......Haveing never witnessed a Royal being served a warrant, I cannot answer your question......However when Jack is weighed off he is usually returned to UKDQs at the next available port..... :D
A warrant usually requires a custodial sentance and or dishonorable. discharge.
Are there any DQs left? Pompy? Chatham? Colchester?
Aye
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Pompey DQ's are the Royal Marines School of Music now! One of the lads was on course there and his practice room was his old cell... needless to say he refused to go in there!!
Military Correction Centre is now in Colchester for one and all!
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
ABI

Post by ABI »

1 Para nick, Bulford, 1985(ish). Officer of the day comes in to inspect the SUS. Slam your tabs in and bellow out your number, rank, name and sentence. All the while trying desperately not to look at the Provo Cpl who is stood behind the officer pretending to shag him, pulling stupid faces, and generally trying to make you crack up.............bastard, but very very funny.

Aldershot 1987(ish) given the adjutants shoes to bull up for the Airborne Forces Day parade. Morning of the parade in come's in to get his shoes, blissfully unaware that I had, shall we say 'lubricated' the insides of the shoes over a period of days.

Childish, immature, purile..........yes I know but when I looked out of the cell window and saw him stood there later that day I couldn't help but chuckle.
owdun

Post by owdun »

Mike,Iwas at Royal Albert,Cuxhaven,in the 50s,and cells punishment included picking Oakum,is this still so.?

Aye Owdun. :evil:
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Owdun. NO! That was phased out years ago. My Dad had to do a pound of that stuff a day! Rusty bucket and a 1 inch square of emerycloth as well. He was in Kingston DQ's in the late 40's. Matlot of course.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Sticks, Owdun was referring to the practice of removing the oakum from ones back after being flogged! Oh how he loved the look of anticipation on the gunners face when the cat was removed from its bag. Jesuit anybody? No thanks just slapped one down. :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
owdun

Post by owdun »

They reckoned it took a pound of Oakum a day to stuff the gunners arse!!!! :o

Aye Owdun. :evil: :D
Artist

rules

Post by Artist »

When Royal or indeed any member of the services is serving on the grey funnel line as everyone has said you come under the Navy act.

A mate of mine was on the Intrepid as a Sgt. He was down in a mess deck having a wet with a mate and missed some matelot doing something very illegal.

As the senior Rating present and for not taking any action ref the illegal act he was busted down to Cpl. No Court Martial.

The Captain is 'GOD'

Just be a good little boy on board is the moral to this tale.

It messed his career up no end.

aye steve evans
Mike

Post by Mike »

Owdun.......did'nt the Gunners complain! :oops:
owdun

Post by owdun »

I was told,by a matelot.that the gunner and his mate,rather enjoyed it,but then again,who ever believed anything a matelot said??? :D

Aye Owdun. :evil: