Share This Page:

Bullying

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
JTP

Bullying

Post by JTP »

Hi ive just found this forum and it has lots of great information but one subjcet I was wondered about, is there any or much bullying etc at ITC Catterick? sorry if this is a stupid question or been asked before but any awnsers would be great :D .
Tab

Post by Tab »

When you first join it is hard to distinguish what is hard training and what is bullying, this you will have to learn for your self over this period
Guardian of The Wall

Post by Guardian of The Wall »

I don't know about Catterick but there is bullying in the infantry units- at first if they think you're weak. Deepcut barracks is another place where it happens- and 4 people have died there! :o

It probably only occurs in places where the "solid" people go. Infantry, logistics, places where " you don't need no brains Mack".

Go somewhere technical- you all have the power of knowledge and realise the people you work with are friends. E.g. REME or Royal Signals.
ash2y

Post by ash2y »

I know a kid who was going in paras and went in last sunday, ment to be one of the hard knocks on my estate...He has a real attitude and wouldnt have his haircut, now hes back already he couldnt hack it and hes telling evryone that the corporals belted him and knocked him unconciuos by punching him on the nose, peronally i think he is full of s**t. He always has been full of it anyway so i dont listen to him.

Edited: i dont want a rollockin for my text talk haha!
JTP

Post by JTP »

Guardian of The Wall were is the Deepcut barracks are they in Catterick or somewere else in the UK and what regiment live there??
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Where the fcuk you got that shitefrom, Gruaniad of the Walts is beyond me.
and 4 people have died there! :o
Grow up.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Well, that bit about the 4 deaths (or 'suicides' as the extremely suspicious circumstances have been translated) is actually true Harry. However, the repercussions have been wide-ranging and immediate, I've experienced a very different (ie good) atmosphere to the one that reportedly messed up Deepcut, at Pirbright and among all the recruits / training staff that I've encountered. Also, bear in mind Deepcut has been gutted from top to bottom, and though the investigations have clearly been political, and my bet would be some got away with murder, the staff & officers have been broken up and moved on - harder for one bad apple to f@#k things up than barrel of rotting fruit.

The rest seems a bit suss though. What's your background for claiming this, Guardian?

EDIT: Looking at your other posts, I'm not sure being a wannabie rockape means you can speak with authority on Army training camps or what goes on in the Infantry...
harry hackedoff

Ref the suicides,I know that Sarastro. It`s the tone of his post which grips me.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Ron_wearing_munter

Post by Ron_wearing_munter »

Guardian of The Wall wrote:I don't know about Catterick but there is bullying in the infantry units- at first if they think you're weak. Deepcut barracks is another place where it happens- and 4 people have died there! :o

It probably only occurs in places where the "solid" people go. Infantry, logistics, places where " you don't need no brains Mack".

Go somewhere technical- you all have the power of knowledge and realise the people you work with are friends. E.g. REME or Royal Signals.
My, you make assumptions don't you mate.

A while ago I was in correspondence with Geoff Gray and Mrs Collinson (parents of the last 2 that died).

The saddest thing was they just wanted to get to the truth. However, their "forensic expert", Mr Frank Swann was shown on ARRSE to have more concern for self publicity than the truth.

He was also found to be lying about most of his "quals". He refused to submit his so called evidence to the Blake Review, instead demanding a public inquiry (which he knows will never happen).

Even 2 of the 4 families seriously doubt his evidence, but go along with him in the vain hope they will indeed get a public inquiry.

(Incidentally, Mr Swann only charged £1 for his services to the families. 2 of them paid, 2 of them haven't. He refused to allow the 2 that hadn't access to his "evidence", such is the callousness of the fraud.)

Additonally, 2 of the families use the same solicitor, who actually DOES have forensic and ballistic quals - this solicitor thinks Mr Swann is a fraud too)

The original investigation was a complete balls up, thats a fact.

But cover up and conspiracy theories only fuel those poor families belief that there is something much more sinister at work.

The fact is, vital evidence was lost from the word go - down to shoddy policing, nothing else.

Those families will never get the truth, not because there was a massive cover up going on, but down to simple lack of evidence.

I feel for the families and for those who died, but IMHO those who add fuel to the fire only serve to prolong the pain for them.

I presume you have at least read the Blake Review, or are you just forming your enlightened opinion from tabloid snippets?
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Sme here mate I feel for there families and the fact they will never know what relliy happened is very bad. I hope the bullying is not that bad anymore.
Tab

Post by Tab »

It is a shame that these people died, they are not the first and will not be the last. During the years of National Service it was a regular feature of people topping themselves that could not adjust to military life, mind you many of them should not have been called up in first place. This is main problem people join the forces and then can't adjust to that sort of life or it is not what they expected and they feel this is there only way of escape. I know the parents all want to blame some one else but this is not always the case.
harry hackedoff

Good post Z :wink: nice to see you back 8)
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Well I've been to Catterick twice now and I can tell you I never seen anything even close to bullying while I was there. Deepcut was a world away from the way todays army training centres are run. There may be incidents that still occur and obviously I can't speak for all the regiments there but I think that it'd be very rare to have a serious cases of bullying going on undetected especially as there are plenty of people you can turn to if something was going on.

A lot of people talk things up, especially if they leave early and feel they need an "excuse" for why they're back so soon, and they exagerate certain beastings or simply invent incidents but it's usually just to make themselves feel better.

Training is hard and you get messed about a lot but you'd have to be pretty weak to class it as bullying.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Thanks for the info Alfa, when I posted this thread I was wondering about them scuicides and would it be that bad when I went but im not scared of any bullys but anyway thanks everyone. :D
Ron_wearing_munter

Post by Ron_wearing_munter »

tom163 wrote:Thanks for the info Alfa, when I posted this thread I was wondering about them scuicides and would it be that bad when I went but im not scared of any bullys but anyway thanks everyone. :D
What constitutes bullying? It's all down to personal perception surely?

Someone may get called a black bast ard in training, but a ginger is a gwar bas tard, a chubby is a fat basta rd, a slow person is a lazy bas tard and so on and so on.

I thought bullying was discrimination against a single person or minority, this can't be said of the Army as everyone are ALL bas tards :)

See, you're all treated equally.