Share This Page:

Britons (North) (Loyal) Volunteers (Middlesex)?

General information on Military History.
figheadair

Britons (North) (Loyal) Volunteers (Middlesex)?

Post by figheadair »

Can anyone help confirm who exactly the Britons (North) (Loyal) Volunteers (Middlesex) were?

That is the regimental name associated with a uniform in the NAM collection that belonged to Capt Alexander G Davidson who became a Lieutenant in the Regiment 15 Jul 1803 and Captain on 24 Oct 1806. The uniform is Highland (box-pleated kilt, sporran and knitted hose). I'm assuming that he belonged to the North British Loyal Volunteers but the use of 'Middlesex' in the title is confusing as is the exact identity of the regiment.

Any thoughts?
Tab

Re: Britons (North) (Loyal) Volunteers (Middlesex)?

Post by Tab »

Sounds like he purchased his commission and raised his own Battalion, so he may have dressed them as he saw fit. I think they could have been based around Kingston.
figheadair

Re: Britons (North) (Loyal) Volunteers (Middlesex)?

Post by figheadair »

I think I have the answer through posing the question on another forum. It was a Corps formed by ex-pat Highland Gentlemen -
https://books.google.com.au/books?id...20reay&f=false

There is a also print of a soldier of the unit here- https://repository.library.brown.edu...em/bdr:230216/

The engraving is interesting in that it suggests that the Loyal North Britons wore a typical red coat and buff/white breeches with a Highland style feather bonnet and had a tartan plaid/campaign blanket. The memoirs of John Marchall make reference to the officers parading in their national costume and that is what seems to be the outfit in the NAM which includes Red Coat and a Government tartan box pleated kilt. The latter was possibly supplied by George Hunter, the Army clothing contractor, who had offices in Wdinburgh and London and whom supplied many of the gentry, plus Geo IV, with their Highland outfits.