Share This Page:

The Black Watch Erroneous Claims To The Red Vulture Feathers

General information on Military History.
Spañiard

The Black Watch Erroneous Claims To The Red Vulture Feathers

Post by Spañiard »

Hello from Montréal, need some guidance concerning the 3rd SCOTS Black Watch ingrained history dating back to 1822, when first officially published, till FWW, as claims from 3 highland regiments as their inherited right, still resonates to this day and age. Considering the 71st was disbanded the 71st bill, "Red Feathers," one can say 4 Highland Regiments have claimed their right to the Red Vulture Feathers, viz; the 71st, 42nd, 46th, and the 49 of Foot. Then again, British Militia, other regiments etc., have worn red feathers, pre 1822.

In 1822, from a mistaken direction in a book of dress for the guidance of the army, some of the other {circa 2} Highland regiments concluded that they also had a right to wear "a red vulture feather". The 42d, however, remonstrated, and their representations at headquarters called forth the following memorandum:- [Note, the 46th SD Regt. of Foot left India in 1832 for home wearing red feathers].

"For Officers commanding Highland Regiments.

"Horse Guards, 20th Aug, 1822."
"The red vulture feather prescribed by the recent regulations for Highland regiments is intended to be used exclusively by the Forty-Second Regiment: o
ther Highland corps will be allowed to continue to wear the same description of feather that may have been hitherto in use."

"H. Torrens, Adjutant-General".

The British Army emergence, in officially archiving, publishing regimental records: “The order for keeping regimental records is dated September 1822.”
However the Horse Guards handed down orders Jan 1st 1822: In General Regulations and Orders for the Army: Adj.-Gen. Office.

In General Regulations and Orders for the Army: Adj.-Gen. Office H.G. Jan 1st 1822, p.21-22.

First appears: Records of the Service of Regiments:

“His Majesty has been pleased to command, that, with a view of preserving a remembrance of the particular service and Achievements of the British Army, a National Military Record of all the battles and actions in which the regiments have been, or may be engaged, shall be prepared by the Inspector of Regimental Colours, and deposited in the office of the Adj.-Gen.; and that this Record shall contain the fallowing particulars, viz,:-

Caps of the Infantry p. 91, regulation feathers can be worn, etc. no mention of regiment’s colour representation, nor in Officers Uniforms.

W.A. Thorburn, Uniforms of the Scottish Infantry 1740 -1900: “The first official Dress Regulations for officers of the Army appeared in 1822.”

My main question is; what’s the name of the “book of dress for the guidance of the army,” or "the first official Dress Regulations for officers of the Army," published in 1822, I can’t fined it.

THK U FR YR TME.
Last edited by Spañiard on Sat 14 Feb, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Re: The Black Watch Erroneous Claims To The Red Vulture Feat

Post by Tab »

If you can trace what Regiments it amalgamated with then you should be able to find their records in the museum
Spañiard

Post by Spañiard »

Tab wrote:If you can trace what Regiments it amalgamated with then you should be able to find their records in the museum

I have accumulated 3 decades of records, documents letters of the Regiments in question, since the first official accounts were published in 1822 of the 42nd, emergence with Garth’s Sketches, then R. Cannon 1836 first edition officially published.

“These Records are now preparing for publication, under His Majesty’s special authority, by Mr. Richard Cannon, Principal Clerk of the Adjutant-General’s Office.”

The Book of Dress applies to the British Army which included the dress of Highland Regiments in 1822.

My question is, the Book of Army Dress that caused all that friction in 1822 with Highland Regiments, has any member etc., ever seen, read this book, what is this book the Historians/Authors point to?

As for the records of the Black Watch in their archives I have the list: “All that remained of the historical records of the regiment, from the period of its formation till the year 1793, fell into the hands of the enemy.” “As none of the officers who had served previously to the loss of the records in 1794 were then in the regiment, some difficulty arose in drawing up the required statement of service.”

Some Museum letters, archives from the FWW. SVP I have the second letter written in 1915.

THE AFFAIR AT PAOLI.—The following interesting letter gives a tradition in connection with the affair at Paoli. There are letters extant, both British and American (among them one from Wayne to his wife), that state that at the battle of Germantown Wayne's division had not forgotten the treatment of Grey's infantry at Paoli, and used their bayonets freely, but that the Americans sent a message to the British camp that they would be revenged, we have no evidence. Beresford Barracks, The Curragh Camp, Ireland. 7th June 1914.

Dear Sir.
I am writing to ask your kindly help in an endeavour to unravel a somewhat obscure point of history. . . . My Regiment, which for the past thirty-three years has borne the title "Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry" is composed of two older units which were formerly known as the 32d and the 46th Regiments of Foot. These two are now united as the First and Second Battalions, respectively, of the Duke of Cornwall's Infantry. The old 32d dates its continuous life from the first year of Queen Anne's reign, while the 46th came to light some few years later. Our regimental history is to a great extent that of the warfare of four continents and of the building up of the British Empire. It is evident, therefore, that my own Regiment (in common with many others in the British service) has a certain solid reality in its past which is worth taking some pains to put before the minds of the present generation of soldiers.

In the course of so long and eventful a life it is but natural that the Regiment should have acquired certain badges, distinctions and traditions, and it is upon the subject of one of these that I now venture to address you.

I would beg to bring you back to the year 1777 when the British army under Howe was advancing from the South upon Philadelphia. The peculiar incident is the affair of the night of the 20th-21st of September, when the British General Grey came upon your General Wayne in his bivouac. It is unnecessary to go into details. There can be no doubt but that the affair was a horrible slaughter. According to tradition, however, it had a curious sequel.

The story goes that, after the deed of blood had been committed, the American soldiers caused a spirited message to be carried to the British camp to the effect that they would be revenged upon the perpetrators and that, when their opportunity came, they, in their turn, would show no mercy, and would refuse quarter to their foe. Now the unit that had taken the most conspicuous part in the business was the Second Light Battalion. This corps was, according to the custom of the period, a composite body made up of the light companies of a number of different regiments. One of these companies happened to belong to the 46th Foot, now the Second Battalion of my Regiment.

Upon the receipt of this threat the men of the Light Battalion are said to have sent back a reply in the following terms: That they alone had done the deed and that they were prepared to face the consequences. But, in order that their opponents should not wreak their vengeance upon men who had borne no part in the affair, they announced that they had adopted a device by means of which they might be recognized in the field. Light troops were then distinguished from others by the wearing of a feather in the cap; and the soldiers of the Second Light Battalion declared that in future their feathers would be dyed red.

There is no doubt but that this mark of distinction was actually adopted at the time, but what is far more extraordinary is that it is still maintained to this day! When in due course light companies came to be abolished the distinctive mark, adopted many years earlier by the light company of the 46th, was taken up by the whole Regiment, In after years, when the 46th came to be united to the 32d Regiment, a representation of the red feathers was adopted by both. In the course of years the meaning of it has been well nigh forgotten. But, though patterns of head-dress have varied from time to time with changes in fancies and fashions, in some form or another, the red has remained constant in the Regiment. Today upon our helmet plates we bear, among other devices, two red feathers crossing each other. On our caps there is a patch of red cloth behind the badge. In fact, at home or abroad, in peace or in war, wherever the Regiment may have been serving, officers and men have ever borne a tuft, a patch, a "puggaree" or a plume of red in their head-dress.

So much is certain, and the badge is duly sanctioned by authority. The strange thing is that no official record of the incident that led to the first adoption of the red feather is to be found. I have sought in vain in books of history, written upon both sides of the Atlantic. I have applied to the British War Office and I have sought among the Public Records. My quest has been fruitless. As a last resource I appeal to you who are situated near the scene of action. Can you help me?

The points that I am trying to clear up are: First, whether there exists any record of the threat of revenge and of the reply; and, secondly, whether it can, if possible, be determined why one company of the Light Battalion and one alone, namely that drawn from the old 46th Regiment, should have retained the distinctive mark to the present day.

I would be most grateful also if you could kindly supply me with a rough sketch of the ground about the Schuylkill River (as it was in 1777), showing the position of Howe's camp, that of General Wayne's detachment, of Smallwopd's militia, and the route taken by Grey. All the accounts in the various books mention a number of places, names, and of houses and taverns along the road, but not one has a map by means of which alone the exact details of the narratives are intelligible.

In one of the American histories to which I have referred for information I notice that mention is made of a monument having been erected upon the site of General Wayne's camp. I hope that there is no longer any bitterness among the sons of either nation regarding the events of the eighteenth century—certainly there is none upon this side and we are the people who were whipped! I would, therefore, dearly like to reproduce in my pamphlets a picture of the memorial that was erected to the memory of the brave men who fell upon that awful night, and also the wording of the inscription. Might I ask you of your kindness to send me a photograph of it? Even a picture post card would be very welcome and acceptable.

Trusting that you will regard this letter in a favourable light, that you will forgive me for troubling you, and will kindly do what lies in your power to help me,

I remain yours very faithfully,
J. H. T. Cornish-Bowden (Major),
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

THK U FR YR TME.

Joseph.
Spañiard

Post by Spañiard »

Note this is part of my second draft, note I'm not English.

The correspondence wasn’t considered, later discarded by Mother as she established her version, history on origin of the red vulture feathers, while already safe guarded by Horse Guard, the letters were left in obscurity until conveniently brought to light in 1967. Coincidently in 1968, Howard Philip published the Black Watch regiment’s history, concluding the battle of Brandywine Creek could be the Watch’s “famous and mysterious Red Hackle,” or “an award for many years of service in North America.” Jumping on the red feather bandwagon decades later, in “Highland Furies” by Victoria Schofield’s, concludes on genesis of the 42nd RHR red feathers: There’s no smoking gun, on origin, however the Black Watch have continuously worn the red hackle for 200 years on all headgear, for the exception of the Glengarry. By Victoria’s math, from 1812 red feathers continuously worn, this account I find problematic, considering pre 2012 Schofield’s Vol. I, she doesn’t acknowledge, many individuals have already drawn similar conclusions throughout decades, certainly old news, indeed. Victoria’s book overlooks, in 1833 the 46th of Foot, South Devonshire Regiment, on their return from circa 20 years of overseas service, wore red feathers, prompting the Adj.-Gen AHQ, requesting by what authority. Unbeknown to the 46th, the 42nds exclusive right on the red feathers handed down by Horse Guards in 1822, without being informed, perplexed, firmly asserted their right. The 46th Regiment LI Coy’s were authorised to wear red cap distinctions instead of the regulation Light Infantry green, [WO 3/440]. In 1934 The Royal Berkshire Regiment, inheriting traditions of the 49th of Foot, were authorised to wear a red emblematic distinction in their head dress although, misleading, permission was granted “to commemorate the role of the Light Company at the battle of Brandywine Creek.” [War Office letter No 54/OFFICERS/30 Ya (MGO.Yb);China Dragon, No 94. July 1934]. No mention on Howard Philip’s regimental history, or the 3rd SCOTS Black Watch Regimental Journal “The Red Hackle,” April 1982 issue, reintroduction of Stirling’s & Dick’s letters, concerning origin of the red feather with a possible connection to AWI, or still under debate, the article was unsigned, not even, “un non de la plume,” by Col. David Arbuthnott.

Last edited by Spañiard on Sun 15 Feb, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I found this on the Black Watch Web Site

Since 1795 the soldiers of the 42nd have worn a red feather or "heckle" in their bonnets, being in this respect distinguished from all the other Highland regiments. The following is the story of the "glorious old red heckle", as told by Lieutenant-Colonel Wheatley, who, we believe, had his information directly from those who took part in the exploit on account of which the Black Watch is entitled to wear the plume.

In December 1794, when the Forty-Second were quartered at Thuyl, as above mentioned, they received orders for the night of the 31st to mark upon Bommell, distant some miles on the opposite side of the river Waal, which they reached by four o'clock on the morning of 1st January 1795. Here they were joined by a number of other regiments, and lay on their arms until daybreak, when they attacked the French army, and drove them across the river on the ice. The British held their position on the banks of the river until the evening of the 3d, when (the French having been reinforced) a partial retreat took place early on the morning of the 4th. The British retired upon the village of Guildermalson, where the 42d, with a number of other regiments, halted, and formed up to cover the retreat through the village. The French cavalry, however, cut through the retreating picquets, and made their way up to the regiments stationed at the village, where they were met and repulsed, and a number of them taken prisoners. Two field-pieces were placed in front of the village to protect the retreat of the picquets; but instead of resisting the charge of cavalry, they (the picquets) retreated to the rear of the village, leaving their guns in possession of the French, who commenced dragging them off. An A.D.C. (Major Rose) ordered Major Dalrymple, commanding the 42d, to charge with his regiment, and retake the guns; which was immediately done, with the loss of 1 man killed and 3 wounded. The guns were this rescued and dragged in by the 42d, the horses having been disabled and the harness cut.

There was little or no notice taken of this affair at the time, as all was bustle; but after their arrival in England, it was rumored that the 42d were to get some distinctive badge for their conduct in retaking the guns on the 4th of January; but the nature of the honor was kept a profound secret. On the 4th of June 1795, as the regiment, then quartered at Royston, Cambridgeshire, was out on parade to fire three rounds in honor of his Majesty's birthday, the men were surprised and delighted when a large box was brought on to the field, and a red feather distributed to each soldier. This distinctive ornament has ever since adorned the otherwise funereal headdress of the old Black Watch.

In 1822, from a mistaken direction in a book of dress for the guidance of the army, some of the other Highland regiments concluded that they also had a right to wear "a red vulture feather". The 42d, however, remonstrated, and their representations at headquarters called forth the following memorandum:-

Spañiard

Post by Spañiard »

Tab wrote:I found this on the Black Watch Web Site

In 1822, from a mistaken direction in a book of dress for the guidance of the army, some of the other Highland regiments concluded that they also had a right to wear "a red vulture feather". The 42d, however, remonstrated, and their representations at headquarters called forth the following memorandum:-

Hi Thank U for taking the time, and I do apologise, should’ve added more. I’m a member of the Black Watch Forums, etc., that history has been critically scrutinised: The Glasgow Herald, Sat., Oct., 7 1939, critics on “The Red Hackle,” Stirring Incidents in History of the Black Watch, Heroism in Foreign Fields, considers the account at Royston as Guildermalson Jan 1795 are questionable, both accounts from Privets of the Black Watch, anecdotes, 30 years after the fact; funny no High Ranking officers remembered being awarded red feathers, that unfolded in 1822 with HG from Adj. -Gen’s office.

I’ll bring U up to speed; I sent MSG’s to the Red Hackle Mag, Association, Archives, posted on the BW forums and muddied the water, creating awareness on the facts vs myths etc. Two letters from old CO’s written in 1822 have vanished from the BW archives, nor are they aware of ever existing, or in their record books or archives. This is quite problematic; those letters were championed in the Red Hackle Journal, and in books.

Lt.-Col. R. Dick & Maj.-Gen. Stirling’s Letters, Origin of the Illusive Red Vulture Feathers.

Hi Joseph
Unfortunately to my knowledge we do not have the letters to which you refer in the archives. We have used the same sources as you (Stewart of Garth) etc. No clear indication has been given but as you correctly allude the feathers were worn long before the battle of Geldermalsen in 1795 where some opine that was where we won the right to wear the Hackle by recovering captured guns from the French after another regiment (most probably Cavalry) failed to do it.

We also agree that Maitland may have brought them to the 42nd when the regiment in which he served was disbanded. My own theory is that like most parts of our Ceremonial Uniform today it stemmed from a practical reason, the most obvious of which was a recognition mark when soldiers were fighting in close country, the unit commanders could identify the colour of feather which their soldiers wore In their bonnets.

Regards Major Ronnie Proctor MBE
Secretary The Black Watch Association

Maj. Proctor’s last comment holds water, as echoed by many throughout the decades, including Moi; “the most obvious of which was a recognition mark when soldiers were fighting in close country, the unit commanders could identify the colour of feather which their soldiers wore In their bonnets.”

The Major’s comment on the Geldermalsen Jan 1795 account, on origin of “a red vulture feather,” rings true; “now widely accepted as not creatable and should be discarded from Mother’s official history.”

Allow moi too be more informative, I’ll add introduction page of a 50+ page study paper second draft, just finished third, not English or second language, however 70% cohesive.

The 3rd Scots Black Watch, Origin of The Illusive Red Vulture Feathers, Facts & Myths?

The status quo historical account from Balhousie Castle, and the Black Watch website on wearing a red feather, dates to Jan. 1795 at Geldermalsen, for their “heroic gallantry,” as the capture of abandoned guns, while on retreat. Is it really historical fact; the first “officially recorded” use, occurred when the 42nd Regiment of Foot “quartered at Royston, Hertfordshire” fired three rounds in honour of King George III.’s birthday, were issued red feathers, on June 4th 1795. The question to ask, actual red vulture, or “feathers ordered stained, (dyed) red,” the account claims, “Washed the Red feather.” Out of all the surviving Rank and file, only privet Andrew Dowie and Rowland Cameron, apparently witnessed the Essex, Royston account. Dowie heard General Sir D. Dundas’s call out twice, emphasising on his exact words, recounted his anecdote 30 years after the fact in 1825, while Cameron’s was undated, (Inverness, January, 1845). It’s odd, considering the engrained narrative on the 42nd’s heroic gallantry at Geldermalsen, was never recorded in Gen. Dundas’ official despatch, other regiments were. The 11th Dragoons never wore only red feathers; they were wearing red and white feathers, so lightly engaged with only one man and one horse, killed at Guildermalson. Privet Dowie claims drove the French across the Waal; the 42nd retired to Geldermalsen about 3 miles to the rear. When he [Sir David] called out, “Forty–Second! for God’s sake and for the honour of your country retake those guns!” Lt. James Jonathan Fraser commanded our company in the absence of Captain Anstruther; on the guns being brought in, General Sir David Dundas called out, Forty-Second, the 11th Dragoons shall never wear the red plume on their helmets any more, and I hope the 42nd will carry it so long as they are the Black Watch! I heard Sir David pronounce those words; when we arrived in Essex we got the red heckle.” Sgt. Rowland Cameron, pensioner, 42nd Regt. “I have seen some time ago in a newspaper that the Red Feather was awarded for their exploits in Egypt.” “June 4th 1795 Quartered at Royston near Cambridge after firing three rounds a box containing the feathers arrived on the common. They were distributed to the officers and men who placed the feathers in their bonnets and marched into Royston.” “Although it was rumoured that some distinctive mark was to be awarded to the 42nd Regiment, it never was thought that the transfer of the Red Feather from the 11th Dragoons.” “Till there will be but few who can give any account of How, Where or When the transfer took place, but I daresay there are individuals still at Royston who remembers sharing in the Washing of the Red Feather, 4th June, 1795.”

Throughout 200 years, journals, correspondence (letters), memoirs, documents etc., historian/authors published books, from the “olden days,” claim “au contraire.” Maj.-Gen. James Stirling 1822 recollection; “the red feather was worn by the 2nd LI Batt., Howe ordered the 42nd to wear a red feather, “early 1776 to make things uniform, whole.” The letters from Lt.-Col. Dick & Maj.-Gen. Stirling, commanding officers of the 42nd Regt., were left in obscurity until conveniently brought to light in 1967, supposedly, safe guarded in the archives at Balhousie Castle. Coincidently in 1968, Howard Philip published the Black Watch regiment’s history, concluding the battle of Brandywine Creek could be the Watch’s “famous and mysterious Red Hackle,” or “an award for many years of service in North America.” In the Black Watch Regimental Journal “The Red Hackle,” April 1982 issue, reintroduction of Stirling & Dick’s letters, on origin of the red feather with a possible connection to AWI were published, unsigned. Historian’s narratives evolved throughout time, claiming worn post Bloodhound incidents’ at Brandywine Creek, on Sept. 11th 1777 or Paoli Tavern Massacre, Sept 20-21st 77. Other published accounts equivocate post, Baylor or Old Tappan Massacre Sept. 27th 78. Stewart Garth’s Sketches’1825 consisted of a 3rd hand misleading account: “71st Fraser’s wore red feathers after, CO Lt.-Col. J. Maitland’s death, ‘post Savannah Siege was lifted in 1779, “and continued to do so till the conclusion of the,” American War of Independence (AWI): Also known as The American Revolutionary War, “Revolutionary War,” in America. Considering historical accounts decades post war, at times on a whim, overlaid with wide brush strokes, adding historian’s equivocal contradictions, confusion ensue’ depending on ingrained narrative. Two catenaries of distorted, ambiguous historical accounts by the “historical click’s,” ambitious agenda, today their narratives are critically scrutinised, on true origin of the 42nd, Black Watch RHR of Foot, red vulture feathers. In the SCOTS official website for the 3rd SCOTS Black Watch, on genesis, acknowledges, evidence suggest worn during AWI. The Black Watch RHR of Canada official website and present updated published history of the regiment, by Earl J. Chapman supports worn during AWI. While in Canada’s Red Hackle Mag., Issue No. 010 Spring & Summer 2007, article by Chapman on roots concludes: “Garth’s account of the 71st and General Stirling letter, it can be assumed that all Highland regiments engaged in that campaign then took to wearing a red feather.” American history books deriving from Colonial Patriot recollections, journals of the day, documents, letters, etc., North America colonial regiments wore feathers even red, on their hats, a common practise. While the British “light bobs 2nd Batt., LI supposedly wore white feathers on their caps, early during the war; there’s no evidence supporting those claims or ever wore feathers. However by binding documentation, in late 1778 the LI were issued green feathers, the Grenadiers wore white.”

A feather in one’s hat, cap, during AWI, was a form of distinction, recognition, and ridicule. The Colonial’s rallied to it, while the British, used a short song, a jingle pre say, which originated in the French Indian War, adding or creating new verses, still used in this day and age as a children’s rhyme, “Yankee Doodle.” Throughout decades I’ve heard claims on the existence of transcripts for both supposed misplaced, original letters, in the missing Washington Papers; the collection is in the Library of Congress or found on-line. The mainstream argument favours, supports the letters, communication between Washington and Maitland which were supposedly old friends, the evidence leans to historical folklore. Sadly, when one gets down too the nuts and bolts mostly plagiarism, from Garth’s Sketches of the Highlanders during and post death, are problematic. Present in American published archived, Congressional Record account, Maitland & Washington correspondence concerning the dyed red feathers, owing to the exaggerated accusation, fables involving into 3 different versions, in historical accounts. Two versions when Maj. Maitland commanded the 2nd LI Batt., disbanded Nov. 3rd, 1778 reorganised into one battalion. Some claim, few days post Sept. 28th 1778 transferred and promoted Lt.-Col. 71st Regt. of Foot, (Fraser’s Highlanders), or after his death, with variations depending on author. While historian savants, proclaim with conviction, Garth’s Sketches proves the 71st of Foot were the first to wear a red feather, owing to hazy conversation, that took place in 1803 recounted in 1821. In David Stewart of Garth Transcripts and extracts of correspondence: Gen. Frederick Maitland anecdote, on his uncle Lt.–Col. John Maitland to Col. Stewart Garth was from Gen. William Grinfield, former 3rd Foot Guards, AWI veteran, while at Barbados in 1803. Gen. Grinfield’s account are gibberish, or Maitland’s nephew recollections to Garth were hazy: The Battalion commanded by John Maitland’s famed Enterprise of the Night attack involving Lady Washington’s Dragoons massacre, in 1778, he was not with the 71st Regt., or held the rank of Lt. Colonel. In Garth’s 1825 3rd Edition p.123: Colonel Campbell who had acted on a different system, obtained leave of absence and embarked for England, Lieut. -Col. Maitland succeeding him in the command of the 71st regiment; no date is provided. While other account differs: Due to continuing ill health, from when imprisoned, Campbell, left Savannah returned to Briton on Mar. 12th 1779, his command passing to Lt.-Col. John Maitland. According to mainstream history, during the Southern Campaign, he was appointed to command 1st Battalion 71st on October 14th 1778, while in New York, on Nov. 26th 1778 both Battalions of the 71st Regiment of Foot, under Lieut.-Col. Archibald Campbell, with 4 Provincial Infantry, two Hessian regiments, with artillery sailed to Savannah. They arrived on December 24th and crossed the Savannah River three days later. The advance and capture of Savannah, Lt.-Col. Campbell is mentioned in accounts, while they crossed the sand bar; 1st Batt. 71st Regiment, 1st Battalion DeLancey's Brigade and New York Volunteers with two guns, were under Lieut.-Col. J. Maitland.

That winter, Lieut.-Col. Campbell sailed for Scotland and Lieut.–Col. John Maitland assumed command of the 71st Regiment of Foot; (on wiki, etc.) though one source gives a promotion date of March 9th 1779.

Considering the importance, Garth’s Sketches, Vol., I. part III etc., was a championed 42nd RHR account, p. 399-406, “Campaign in Holland,” under General David Dundas at Geldermalsen Jan 1795 and “arrival at home,” no mention of a box with Red Vulture Feathers awarded or issued on June 4th 1795; “encamped in the neighbourhood at Danbury, under the command of General Sir William Meadows.” While Lt.-Col. Maitland’s footnote doesn’t appear in Vol. II., first and second edition 1822, “Fraser’s Highlanders wore the red feather after Colonel Maitland’s death, and continued to do so till the conclusion of the war, etc.” Adding at the end: “In the year 1795, the red feather was assumed by the Royal Highland Regiment,” oddly the Horse Guards Aug. 20th 1822, General Order, on “The Red Vulture Feather,” was not recorded. In “Historical Records of The British Army, on The Forty-Second RHR of Foot, service to 1844,” by Richard Cannon, published London: Parker, Furnivall, & Parker 1845-51: No mention of red vulture feathers, awarded or issued on June 4th 1795, for their action at Guildermalson, while on their return home, “encamped near Danbury.” Cannon makes no mention of the Horse Guards Aug. 20th 1822, General Order, nor Royston 1795, however unveils the ‘feathers’ on April 1814, mentions no colour: “The grenadiers of the Forty-second Regiment, followed by the other companies, led the way, and began to ascend from the road; but no sooner were the feathers of their bonnets seen rising over the embankment, than such a tremendous fire was opened from the redoubts and entrenchments, as in a very short time would have annihilated them.” Furthermore in Historical Record of The Forty-Sixth, or The South Devonshire, Regiment of Foot published 1851, R. Cannon: “FORTY-SIXTH regiment gained the distinction of wearing ‘Red Feathers,’ the light company for its share in the attack upon General Wayne on the 20th of September 1777,” (known in American accounts as the Paoli Tavern Massacre). Further adding a detailed account of the “Horse Guards, 12th November, 1833, GO., that the distinction mentioned may be continued to the light company of the FORTY-SIXTH regiment, and will, accordingly, submit that the company be allowed to wear a Red Ball Tuft.”

In Canadian War of 1812 accounts, and Tupper 1847, Brock’s “favourite,” 49th Regiment “LI Coy wore red, feather, for service at Bunker Hill.” Cannon’s compilation 1841, on The Fifteenth or The King’s Regiment of Light Dragoons; “June 10th 1799 wore scarlet feathers on their helmets.” CDN Black Watch roots, a former Scottish officer of No. 1 Coy 1855, “The Rifles,” appointed Captain October 30th, 1856. Capt. John Macpherson’s, No. 10 “Highland Company,” from 1st (or Prince of Wales) Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada, Oct. 9th 1863 transferred to 5th Batt. ‘Royal’ Light Infantry: With authority off parade the Coy, “wore trews of Black Watch tartan and a feather bonnet with red hackle.” In Capt. Ernest Chambers compilations: We find the following pen sketch of the company in the Portland “Transcript’s” account of the visit of the Montreal “Rifles” to Portland in 1858:—

“The dress of the Highland company was a green coatee faced with red and gold, plaid pants, tartan scarfs. Highland bonnet with ostrich plumes, and red feather. The piper, in full Highland costume, with his kilt and his bare knees, attracted some attention. The Highlanders were thoroughly Scotch in form and features, spare and sharp, and in their native costume looked like true followers of the Bruce.”

The uniform worn by the Highland Company while attached to the 1st P. W. Rifles is described by Lieut.-Col. Macpherson as consisting of rifle tunic or coatee, after the pattern of the “71st Highland Light Infantry,” but of rifle green cloth, trews and plaid of the tartan of the clan McKenzie of Seaforth as worn by the 78th Highlanders, highland plume bonnet, with red hackle.

“5th Regiment, Royal Scots of Canada, Highlanders,” were officially permitted to wear the Red Heckle by General Order dated May 25th 1895.

Headquarters Records of the British Army in America Return of clothing and necessarys embezzled and lost. P.R.O. 30./55, Vol. 65, pp. 7164-6, for the 42nd Regiment:-

May 26th 1768 Inspection Return: blue bonnets; black feathers.

March 19th 1783 H.Q. Records, British Arm America returns: bonnets, black feathers.

March 19th 1783 Ibid., for the 71st Regt. of Foot, no mention of feathers.

[WO 26/29/149........]August 13th 1783, an invoice from a merchant in Scotland for the 71st Regt. of Foot.
“Necessaries While in North America, 212 Ostrich Feathers, 36 Red Feathers.”

American Journals and Letters; by Jim Piecuch, 2013: “Light Horse Harry” Lee on Pyle’s Massacre, February 25th, 1781, Lee observed: “in as much as both cavalry and infantry were dressed in short, green coats, with other distinctions exactly resembling some of the enemy’s light corps.” A South Carolina militiaman later noted that Lee had taken measures to deceive any loyalists that his troops encountered. “Col. Lee’s men were prepared with red (or Tory) plumes or feathers which they stuck in their caps,” Manuel McConnell recalled. “We imitated them [loyalists] as much as possible.”[13] [13] Lee, Memoirs, p.255-256; Lee to Greene, Feb. 25, 1781, and Pickens to Greene, Feb. 26, 1781, PNG, 7:347-348, 355, 358; Hayes, 89-94; Manuel McConnell, S2773, Sept. 18, 1832.

Published accounts on the 42nd RHR origin of the Red Vulture Feather, dated 1896.

On dingy paper and faded ink there now lies before the writer the quaint and honest narrative by a long since dead and gone soldier of the “Forty-Twa,” of the affair which won for his regiment the “red heckle,” or, as he styles it, the “red feather.” The chronicler has not dated his story, but he has appended his name, “Rowland Cameron, pensioner, 42nd Regiment.” And the following is his narrative, told in his own words:-

“Although it was rumoured that some distinctive mark was to be awarded to the 42nd Regiment, it never was thought that the transfer of the Red Feather from the 11th Dragoons; were substituted with a White Feather and yellow Top.” Further ads; “On the 4th June, 1795, when quartered at Royston, near Cambridge, after fireing three Rounds in Honour of H.M. George 3rd’s birthday, a box containing the Feathers arrived on the Common, which were distributed to the Officers and Men; the Commanding Officer giving a Speech on the Subject of which the Honour of Wearing the Red Feather was conferred on the 42nd Regiment for their gallant conduct on Jan. 4th 1795.” Cameron remarks: “The Officers and Men placed the Feathers in their Bonnets and marched into Royston, and on the evening of the 4th June were paid the Arrears due for Eighteen Months, with a caution to keep close to their own Billets and be regular.”

“In 1822, because of an erroneous direction in a book of dress for the guidance of the army, some of the other Highland regiments considered that they too had a right to wear ‘a red vulture feather.’ The 42nd, however, remonstrated, and its representations to headquarter resulted in the following memorandum:” Source: Black Watch Record of an Historic Regiment, by A. Forbes 1896.

Just looking for the erroneous book published in 1822 that got the Highlander regiments kilts, all in a bun. I Believe this book is folklore, never existed, part of the author and Mother’s agenda, as narrative on origin of the Red Vulture Feathers.

THK U FR YR TME.