Share This Page:

Can You Identify This Uniform?

General information on Military History.
troyster

Can You Identify This Uniform?

Post by troyster »

Hi there

As the title suggests, I am trying to work out what uniform is being worn in this photograph.

This is my great-great-great grandfather, who fought for the 38th in Crimea, but I think, though I'm not sure, he ended up in the Leeds Rifles.

Any light you would shed on this would be great, including the rank (possibly staff sergeant??) and colours.

And if you have a really keen eye and can identify the medals (one of which should be for Crimea), that would also be great.

Thanks

Phin
Tab

Re: Can You Identify This Uniform?

Post by Tab »

If you can get some expert to see if they can do any thing with the Regimental Badge oh his sash then you might just the answer. Looking at the way he is carrying his saber I would think at the time it could be a cavalry Regiment. Yet there again there were photographic shops that would provide military uniforms so that the chaps could impress there girl friends
dagrages

Post by dagrages »

I am also looking for assistance in identifying this uniform. The man in the photo is my 2nd great uncle, Matthew Burns. I have no information about him other than his name and this photo. I am hoping to get information about him by identifying his uniform and locating him in British military records. I am guessing that this is about the turn of the last century. Matthew's sister was born in 1878, but I don't know if he was younger or older than her. Any help in identifying his unit/branch of service would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.61 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Tab

Post by Tab »

Looking at the style of the uniform I would say it was around the time of WW1. All the fancy trimmings have gone and he is wearing a forage cap. To find out more you could try Ancestry.co and trawl through their military records. This will cost you about £12 for a month but make sure they they are aware of this and rimind them towards the end oif the month or they will keep charging you