Share This Page:

What does "British Regular Establishment" mean? (1700s)

General information on Military History.
MoeC

What does "British Regular Establishment" mean? (1700s)

Post by MoeC »

Let me preface this post by saying I am American and know very little British History.

One of my great grandfathers fought for the British, as a Loyalist, during the American Revolution.

He was part of the King's American Regiment (KAR) and the Loyal Associated Refugees.
Several sources mention that the KAR were made part of the British Regular Establishment (sometimes called the British Establishment).

I have been unable to find the definition of the British Regular Establishment.
All I know is the "honor" was bestowed on only a handful of Loyalist regiments.

After the war my great grandfather was relocated to Port Roseway, Nova Scotia with many other Loyalists and was given land there. I know land grant records exist in Nova Scotia.

Questions:
1- What does the term British Regular Establishment mean?
2- Were there any benefits, to the individual and regiment, of being made part of the British Regular Establishment?
3- Would records exist in a UK archive with information about battles/muster rolls/Land Grants?

Thanks for the look.
Tab

Re: What does "British Regular Establishment" mean? (1700s)

Post by Tab »

Most of the records that you would require are kept at Kew which is just west of London. From what you say your relative was a full time soldier and not just there during hostilities.
The record at Kew are not on line so you would need to contact some one to look them up and photo copy them for you
MoeC

Post by MoeC »

Thank you very much for the direction.
I just sent an enquiry to the National Archives, Kew for an estimate of the cost of research.

My 5th-great grandfather was not a military man. At the outset of hostilities he fought *against* the British during the siege of Boston (1776).

Samuel Perry b. 25 Oct 1735, Sandwich, MA d. 1827-1829, Ingomar, Shelburne, Nova Scotia
Brief Dossier:

1776: Fought against British at Boston. (Service accepted by Sons of American Rev., lineage society)
1777: Fled Massachusetts to Rhode Island and joined with Loyal Associated Refugees (LAR)
1778: Named in the Banishment Act of Massachusetts
1779: Captained either the "General Leslie" or "Fancy" during raid at Newport, RI (Reported to be acting as privateer).
1779: LAR was designated as the "4th American Regiment" (also called the King's American Regiment in some writings)
1781: Captain of the schooner York, serving British forces in New York
1782 Dec 25: The 4th American Regiment was made part of the British Regular Estabishment.
1783 Autumn: 4th American Regiment was disbanded.
1783: Was relocated to Port Roseway, NS (Later renamed Shelburne) and given a Land Grant for his service.

He lived the rest of his life as a farmer/mariner in NS.

I found the information, above, on the Internet. Unfortunately sources are not cited with most of the data! So I am hoping Kew will have records of his service.
Tab

Post by Tab »

My cousin was William Brenton and once owned Rhode Island and New York and lost the lot during the American Civil war