Share This Page:

ARMY RECORD 1820

General information on Military History.
Aussie Sheila 34

ARMY RECORD 1820

Post by Aussie Sheila 34 »

My ancestor, Joseph Fox was in the Royal Artillery from 1800- 1820. Lieutenant General Layes is Colonel. He signed up at Sheffield Yorkshire aged 21 on 30 April 1800 for unlimited service and was discharged on 13 March 1820 at Woolwich, Kent Barracks. Four of his seven children were born at Woolwich between 1808 and 1815. I can't find baptisms for the other 3. His total length of service is defined as 24 years and 25 days. It is stated that 4 years and 25 days service in the West Indies is included in the Total service. I calculate that he served in the Royal Artillery for 20 years. My question is how does that come to a total of 24 years and 25 days ? Hoping someone can help with this mystery.
Also it's possible that one of his children was born in the Windies. Would his wife be able to travel with him?
Tab

Re: ARMY RECORD 1820

Post by Tab »

His wife and children could well have gone with him as when you were posted overseas it could be for a long time. My grandfather spent 11 years in India on the North West Frontier with the 4th Dragoons.
Endrio143

Post by Endrio143 »

I wonder if any of you could help me to identify an item I have found whilst sorting my great-uncle's belongings following his death? It is an embroidery with a photograph of a Navy man in the centre with the words "In rememberance of my cruise in Japan and China" at the top.
We offer guaranteed success for OG0-093 brain dumps exam with help of latest testking.co.uk - 101-01 brain dumps certification and fit.edu practice questions and the exams of sterling ccie security www.mcdaniel.edu
Tab

Post by Tab »

Back in those days the crew of a ship would do this sort of thing to pass the time. Many of the soldiers and sailors had learnt a trade before going the forces.