Share This Page:

Family History -Mystery Rating

General information on Military History.
chieflx

Family History -Mystery Rating

Post by chieflx »

Hello,

I have just found this site via a Google search and hope someone might be able to help me solve a little mystery concerning my Great Grandfather who served in the RN from 1856 - 1874. I have managed to get his service record from the National Archive (via documentsonline) and have done some research at the Plymouth Central Library concerning the ships he served on. The service record also gives his rating and promotions, however, from 1863 - 1868 his rating is given as 'TM'. This is were the mystery comes in - I cannot find out what the abbreviation TM is referring to. I was wondering if anyone on the forum might know.

After 1856 he is listed as Yeoman of the Store Rooms, Would I be right in assuming that this is the equivalent of a Stores Account in the RN today?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Rob
Wholley

Re: Family History -Mystery Rating

Post by Wholley »

He would have been a Mizzen Topman.
The usual promotion from that rate was to Yeoman of the Magazine.

Hope this helps.
chieflx

Post by chieflx »

Thanks Wholley,

Not sure if Mizzen Topman fits with the facts but it is a possibility. The rating was TM and I would have thought that Mizzen Topman would have been the other way around i.e. MT. Also he finished his career as a Yeoman of Store Room which would have been an unusual route.

Once again thanks for the info and help.

Regards
Rob
Tab

Post by Tab »

Have a look at some of the Royal Navy sites and put the question to them.
sajjad123

Post by sajjad123 »

Thank you for your reply... This is not a wind up by the way it was posted on another forum and I CDNT beleive what I was reading.

I was after a bit more about what was said ie...the paras thinking they were going on exercise and stuffing there bergans with pillows ...and then ending up in the Falklands :lol:
Enjoy the real success with jncia certification exam and cisco ccna online training programs and latest 70-640 exam Also prepare for next level with quality mcdaniel questions and www.northeastern.edu and join Stevenson University