Share This Page:

What era are these uniforms from?

General information on Military History.
quigs1969

What era are these uniforms from?

Post by quigs1969 »

Hi folks,

I was hoping someone could be able to help me identify the era or uniforms of the two photos I have, I am trying to determine if they are my grandfather or great grandfather. perhaps some details on my grandfather and great grandfather will help;

my great grandfather Hugh Quigley was serving during the Great War 1915-1919, he was first an Army Driver in the Royal Field Artillery with the 9th Divisional Ammunition Column, later after being wounded he was in the 891 Area Employment Company - Labour Corps.

My grandfather James Quigley's details are a lot more sketchy, he was born 1904, I do not know what Corps he was in, too young to have served in the great war, I do know he was in the army c1923, as his father mentions this in a letter in 1923.

Any help identifying the corps or period in the photos would be greatfuly appreciated.

I myself believe the top photo is my great grandfather and the bottom photo my grandfather.

Colin

In memory of Pvt. Peter Crawford S/8248, 10th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who died who died 15 Oct 1915, Ypres, Belgium.
Tab

Re: What era are these uniforms from?

Post by Tab »

With Tammy Shanter and bagpipes it has to be a Scottish Regiment
quigs1969

Re: What era are these uniforms from?

Post by quigs1969 »

Yep agreed and the bottom photo they are wearing tartan trews, would Scottish soldiers in RFA wear tam o shanters and tartan trews?
In memory of Pvt. Peter Crawford S/8248, 10th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who died who died 15 Oct 1915, Ypres, Belgium.