Share This Page:

hm regiments in India

General information on Military History.
robert hughes

hm regiments in India

Post by robert hughes »

hello to all
I have recently obtained my great great grandfathers (thomas benson)army records it states he enlisted at manchester
in1858 aged 18yrs born macclesfiedl cheshire the date I had was 1842 so he may have lied about his age
it appears he joined the 51st regiment and was transferred to69th of foot shortly after there he remained until
transfererring to the 76th reg on the 1st january 1864 and appears to have voulunteered for service in 2nd battaslion 15th of foot on his completed term of service he appears to be with the 43rd light infantry
places mentioned on records are burmah 1859 romandroog 1877 bellary (he married there in 1867 at the london missionary chapel) madras and rangoon he served in India for 19 years 10 months and total service on discharge 21years he obviously had different reg numbers but his last one is reg no 2118573 rank private his record also state he is possession of two good conduct badges and a silver medal for long service and good conduct with a payment of £5.00
I find it puzzling that he did not receive any campaign medals or at least they are not listed can anyone enlighten me
of the roles these regiments played in India and would all these regiments be detachments of the manchester regiment
for the record thomas benson returned to england with his son and wife elizabeth benson nee daniels and they are listed living in macclesfield on 1881census thomas aged 39 army pensioner elizabeth wife born east india madras british subject
and son thomas born madras 1868 is it possible elizabeth daniels was a native of india as Im unsure what british subject means
thankyou for reading this post
regards
robert hughes
Tab

Re: hm regiments in India

Post by Tab »

Now when did they start issuing campaign medals