Share This Page:

Books on Arnhem

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
jabcrosshook

Books on Arnhem

Post by jabcrosshook »

Does anyone recommend any books on Arnhem, not something that gives lot of dates and times, but a book that you can really build a picture up and gain an understanding from a soldiers point of view.
Cheers,
JCH.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. Available on Amazon.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Jabcrosshook, take a look at this list here... find a title and then do a further search on it.

viewtopic.php?t=17197
Last edited by SO19 on Fri 20 Jun, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Try and get a copy of 'It Never Snows in September',written from the German perspective,a very good book.
Cant remember the author but I'm sure a swift google,ooer madam!,will give you a result.

SH
SO19

Post by SO19 »

It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem September 1944 - by Robert J. Kershaw

It's in the list. :)
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Yeah, I've read 'It Never Snows in September' too, quite a good book. Makes you realise the Germans didn't quite have it all their way! Some of those guys had to do massive approach marches, and then were straight into the attack without any time to plan, prep and recuperate. Not to mention most of them were on R and R from the Russian Front, bonus!

Arnhem Spearhead is a good one too, from the perspective of a rifleman in 2 Para. It's quite an old book though, probably out of print. I borrowed a copy off one of the old sweats a few years back.

'First In', the wartime history of the 21st Independant Pathfinder Company, has a good chapter about Arnhem. The defence of the Oosterbeek Crossroads is covered in depth, and it makes you realise how close and desperate the fighting was. The Germans took control of the casualty station, so you basically became a POW as soon as you were injured.

I will be going to Arnhem with one of the few remaining wartime Pathfinders this year to lay a wreath at the Oosterbeek Crossroads. Will hopefully be jumping into Ginkel Heath from the Dakota too! :D
SO19

Post by SO19 »

All three are great books and you can find 'Arnhem Spearhead' on ebay most of the time going really cheap, but 'First in! Parachute Pathfinder Company' is harder to come by and unless you're lucky and see it on ebay for a couple of quid (like me) it's usually not so cheap.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

SO19 wrote:'First in! Parachute Pathfinder Company' is harder to come by and unless you're lucky and see it on ebay for a couple of quid (like me) it's usually not so cheap.
I borrowed mine from one of the original PF fellas!