Share This Page:

Chris Ryan

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
London Boy

Chris Ryan

Post by London Boy »

As one of those who was very sceptical about the writing skills of Chris Ryan and Andy McNab (I admit to being a bit of a literary snob and think Dan Brown probably has the worst writing style and poorest literary skills I've ever encounterd, that said I loved both Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code) I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed Ryan's The Watchman, which I just finished reading this morning (I know, I know, seven years after many of you read it)

But it being my first Ryan book, and having enjoyed it so much, which novel should I read next, do you think?

What are the favourites of members here?

For the record I still haven't read any of McNab's books. How do people here view him as an author of novels in comparsion to Ryan? Better, worse, similar?

A style of novel I don't like is the kind of formulaic pulp fiction agent stuff that evolves into a whole series of books a la Nick Carter, James Bond etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

I read Bravo Two Zero when it first came out and before all the silly "he said, she said" started. Not a bad read, whether it was based on fact or not. Then, as I noticed the first lick of paint being applied to the old post B 2-0 band wagon, I took a healthy step back and didn't bother getting any further books of that genre. I cannot stand hype, bling, sensationalism, etc. It really rubs me up the wrong wayand I avoided subsequent books of that nature like the plague.

Recently, however, I read Eye of the Storm by Peter Ratcliff and that was also generally a reasonable read, although I was dissappointed at the lack of consistency in quality. At times it became rather academic or pedestrian, leaving me wondering if it was written by more than one person.

Finally, Ratcliff spends significant time and effort in developing the image of the regiment only to later spend equal time and energy slagging regiment members and describing their incompetence. A very odd mix because it certainly begs the question, "how did persons with such immense flaws (incl. a sqn comd apparently without the nuts to get his sqn across the start line, a SSgt who is essentially portrayed as an incompetent coward, and several others who appear devisive and self-serving) ever make it into the unit?

I can only hope that someone who has once held a position of such immense responsibility, being the RSM, has dug very deep indeed when determining the factual from the not-so-factual and when making decisions as to who and why and to what end personal attacks are to be directed. While it was clear that Ratcliff was trying to clear his own name after certain comments were made about him from other quarters, there remains (for me) a certain lack of dignity in doing so. That said, his Catch22 situation is glaring, for his silence on the matter may have been as misconstrued, perhaps, has his speaking out.

Worth a read, but I'd be inclined to borrow it, not buy it!

I'm currently reading a much older book, written by my old Bde Comd, Tony Jeeps. SAS Secret War describes Jeeps' experiences as an SAS officer in Oman in the late 60's/early 70's. Not a bit of glitter, bling, or hype. Just bare facts (if somewhat dry in their presentation at times (oh well, you can't have it all ways, I suppose)).
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Thanks Anglo.

Yes, I've steered clear of the whole genre till now as well. I only read this Ryan book because I found it for a few bob in a secondhand shop here in Sweden and thought "Yea, why not, I'm prepared to give one of these SAS thrillers a try"

And the point you raised about one or more writers is relevant because while reading The Watchman I thought on several occasions, that he must have had a ghost writer on this assisting him or at the very least a very good literary editor, because and not wanting to denegrate Ryan's educaiton, intelligence or skill as a writer but at times the phraseology and vocabulary were more Oxbridge than Hereford if you know what I mean.

Jeeps' book sounds interesting and there's a personal connection there for me, in 82 I had an old SAS sgt, who'd returned to 2 Sqn, who had been in Oman in the 70s. I didn't know much about him or really even know him to talk to, I only knew what everyone else knew, that he'd been with the Regt in Oman.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Generally I don't like fiction. I was strictly an autobiography reader prior to reading some Chris Ryan books. I particularly enjoyed "Stand By, Stand By!" It left me chomping at the bit to find out what happened next. The Kremlin Device was a good read also I found.

Have you read Steve Preece's books? He got a bit of a bashing on the forums a couple of years back, but I felt enthralled and hung on every word! I didn't want "Amongst The Marines" to end!
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Thanks for that. I felt the same while reading The Watchman, I couldn't put it down, it followed me everywhere for 3 or 4 days.

I'll give "stand by, stand by" a go then next.

No, I've never heard of Steve Preece the writer, unless he's the same Steve Preece I served with. What's his military background?
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

I thought both McNab and Ryan's first books were both very good reading, even though as mentioned, everyone jumped on the slagging bandwagon shortly after they came out. Even if there were a couple of dodgy bits, the vast proportion is true and ffs, both of these guys have done a hell of a lot more than 99% of those reading them anyway!

Can't say I've read any of either's novels afterwards, fiction doesn't do anything for me, I only read real life stuff.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

I know what you mean Greenronnie. I was totally anti-fiction. Now the only fiction I read is Chris Ryan. Everything else is totally real life.

Steve Preece was RM in the 80's / 90's if I remember rightly. He is from the North East. He is a forum member, goes by "ste preece" suprisingly enough :wink: . Give him a PM
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
SO19

Post by SO19 »

As far as fiction goes I'm the same, I can't invest time in something that isn't real.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

In retrospect, the only fiction writer I have given any time to in recent years is Edward Rutherford. He wrote The Forest, Sarum, London, The Princes of Ireland, and Russka. I've read the first three and have had the Princes of Ireland for a couple of years; just haven't got around to reading it yet.

He is an amazingly adept researcher and writer, whose fictional stories are based on the fortunes of families through the ages through whose eyes he depicts our factual hsitory. An interesting mix and it really is very well done as he weaves his fictional characters into the actual historical events. I would urge anyone, even those not normally into fiction, as was I, to give him a try. Sarum is far and away my favourite, closely followed by The Forest. Outstanding reading in my humble opinion.

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... rutherford
Ste Preece

Steven Preece

Post by Ste Preece »

LondonBoy wrote:Thanks for that. I felt the same while reading The Watchman, I couldn't put it down, it followed me everywhere for 3 or 4 days.

No, I've never heard of Steve Preece the writer, unless he's the same Steve Preece I served with. What's his military background?
London Boy, we've exchanged a few posts between one another over the last year or so.

My books were released in 2004 and 2005 respectively. I did get a bit of a bashing initially, over my first book, but I stood by what I wrote. It was my story, about me and what I did etc. Those who gave me flack over it, didn't really serve with me and a number of them just jumped on the band wagon. Those who stood by me and my story, especially on the OAM site, but other sites too did serve with me/and or supported what I wrote about. And that counted for a lot. Additionally, the release of my books allowed me to get back in touch with a lot of the guys I served with and also with a number of other new acquaintances (former bootnecks and other soldiers) who related to what I wrote.

I guess, being lucky enough to be able to write about my past gave me the ability to move on from the "sometimes" out of control and unruly person I'd turned into back then. Although, a lot of the antics I wrote about actually happened on one night only.

Being totally honest, I absolutely loved my time in the Corps, but if I didn't leave when I did, they would have probably locked me up and threw away the key at some point!!

See: Link: http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk ... 14137.html

Currently I'm, 99% of the way through a novel I've been working on.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Thanks Steve, I simply didn't put 2 and 2 together mate.
F.U.B.A.R

Post by F.U.B.A.R »

i got most of Chris Ryans books, id go with reading Greed and then The Increment, its the greeds prequel, both good!! if not Duncan Falconer dun some good stuff such as The Hostage, similar writer to Ryan. :D
chadblokenumerouno

Re: Steven Preece

Post by chadblokenumerouno »

Ste Preece wrote:
LondonBoy wrote:Thanks for that. I felt the same while reading The Watchman, I couldn't put it down, it followed me everywhere for 3 or 4 days.

London Boy, we've exchanged a few posts between one another over the last year or so.

My books were released in 2004 and 2005 respectively. I did get a bit of a bashing initially, over my first book, but I stood by what I wrote. It was my story, about me and what I did etc. Those who gave me flack over it, didn't really serve with me and a number of them just jumped on the band wagon. Those who stood by me and my story, especially on the OAM site, but other sites too did serve with me/and or supported what I wrote about. And that counted for a lot. Additionally, the release of my books allowed me to get back in touch with a lot of the guys I served with and also with a number of other new acquaintances (former bootnecks and other soldiers) who related to what I wrote.

I guess, being lucky enough to be able to write about my past gave me the ability to move on from the "sometimes" out of control and unruly person I'd turned into back then. Although, a lot of the antics I wrote about actually happened on one night only.

Being totally honest, I absolutely loved my time in the Corps, but if I didn't leave when I did, they would have probably locked me up and threw away the key at some point!!

Currently I'm, 99% of the way through a novel I've been working on.

Cheers

Steve
Usual crap Preecy.

Big yawn!
Ste Preece

Aye

Post by Ste Preece »

Aye: Bigger yawn. :D

Cheers & Be good!

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

wannabe_rock wrote:He is a forum member, goes by "ste preece" suprisingly enough :wink: . Give him a PM
I knew all that anyway. Why would I want to PM him? I'm not after any books on the Marines!