Share This Page:

medical mental health question

Require help and assistance, please ask?
neverendingpast

medical mental health question

Post by neverendingpast »

Hi.
When I was a child, from as long as I remember(4years old onwards) my mother has treated me like none should, she put me to sleep rough on the streets at just12 years old many times and then when i was 15/16 years old, I was more or less abandoned by my family, I was sent away from everyone I know to a foster home my parents did not want me anymore basically, as crazy as it sounds everything I say here is the truth. I was sent to the other side of the country eventually to live with a random family, and this was very upsetting obviously. I didn't get to see my friends or partner (who is still my partner to this day as well as the mother of my child) at all for a long time. I really don't want to make it out as if I am just feeling sorry for myself but a lot of very bad things happened to me, things no child/teenager should have to go through.

So, eventually I was underage drunk twice and had the not so great idea,I was arguing with her, I swallowed a handful of her sleeping tablets without thinking, just hoping she would give me a break.

I have no mental illnesses, I also have never had any mental health illnesses in the past either believe it or not.
In fact I have extreme mental strength as a result of my past growing up, I have not repeated anything like this since and I never will, I wouldn't even dare think about it now that I have my child and partner to look after, I was actually planning on giving all of my wages each week to my girlfriend to spend on our child so they have everything they need etc. It tears me apart that I most likely won't be able to do this for them both now, I feel I owe her absolutely everything for being the only one to ever stick with me through my difficulties.

I have a big problem now though, my past has come back to haunt me, I know that applying for the army ,your medical questionnaire will be rejected, if in your medical records you have self harmed or attempted suicide on more than two occasions. I cannot believe it you know that...is there any exception to this? I mean I am an adult now, I am almost 21 years of age, I dropped out of school at 15 due to family reasons, I am intelligent regardless but can not find any work where I live (I come the whole way from rural irish republic to join the British army...hoping..) so I decided to chase my dream I've had since very young, I don't mean to seem like I'm talking shit but I honestly feel there is no other career for me than the army, as if my whole life has been preparing me for it, I know that I am well physically and mentally capable, I have a family to look after now, these were all just stupid childish mistakes I made when I was younger and I have honestly never regretted anything as much in my life as I do right now, and never will.

Would it be worth my while writing a letter along with my medical questionnaire, to send back together, explaining all of this? The welfare of my family depends on this and I genuinely thought I could have gone far in this career but I think I stopped myself in my tracks, before I even got the chance to start. I guess I got dealt some real shitty cards.

I really hope this can still work out for me.
Sorry for sounding ridiculous at stages but I am just speaking the complete truth of it all, hopefully so it can sink in with you how serious it all is to me.

Any help is immensely appreciated.
Last edited by neverendingpast on Mon 27 Feb, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Re: medical mental health question

Post by Tab »

I was born before WW 2 and around 1941 I was evacuated, and if you think you had it rough so did many other people. I left school at 14 after missing most of my education, but I still made a success of my life. What happens to you is down to you to get stuck in and make the most of it, I never moaned about my lot and just got on with it. Although I wound up in the Army for my National Service it was the last thing I needed as I had to leave my apprenticeship and had I finished the course it would now have been equal to a good degree. Life is not always fair but the on ly one you have so try and enjoy it
neverendingpast

Post by neverendingpast »

I never said they didn't? I od'd when I was a kid and wanted to know if I will still get in, if I Don't-I will be fairly annoyed alright but shit happens, I'm trying to make the most of my life by joining......? If I don't,yea il have to do so some other way but the whole point of the post is,will I have to do this or not
Tab

Post by Tab »

All you can do is ask,, then you will know one way or the other, don't lie about anything to them. If they check up on you and they find you have not told them every thing you will be you be thrown straighn out.