Share This Page:

Joining the military with a conviction.

Require help and assistance, please ask?
Ollie1995

Joining the military with a conviction.

Post by Ollie1995 »

Hello, this is my first post here and I've come for some advice/guidance.

At the end of February I was caught with 7g of Marijuana and some other items that led to my arrest(possession with intent to supply), I am awaiting my sentence so I can't tell you what I have been convicted of at this point but from what I've read it's likely to be a Reprimand and community service due to my age (17) and no previous encounters with the police. I thoroughly regret what I did and am aware that it is likely to restrict my access to the military.

I have read on various webpages that the UK military has a zero tolerance on drugs let alone intent to supply, however upon reading the Army "Can I join" section it wasn't very clear on what their policy was.

Basically, is there any chance at all I will be allowed in or am i buggered?

Thanks for your time, Ollie.
Jnr

Re: Joining the military with a conviction.

Post by Jnr »

i think it comes down to your sentence more than anything. ive got a hefty record from my previous life, which is all spent but i have 1 unspent conviction from a very stupid drinking related mistake from new years day this year and i spoke to a careers officer about it today and he said it was fine seeing as i only got 2 months tag from it.

your best bet would be to speak to your local careers officer, they'll be able to give you a defo on it.

edit: after having a look online they do state a few places that supply is a bar for entry but it doesn't say anything about intent. my advice to you is to get a decent solicitor and see if they'll accept a guilty plea for the lesser charge of possession, as 7g is nothing and the amount that can be classed as personal is now 450 grams/9 plants in your own home. guessing they found scales on you but they can be explained by saying you didnt want to get robbed. they should go for it aslong as you didnt have 10 bags of .7 (or whatever a 10 bag is around your ways) and explain to your brief your whole situation(including wanting to join the army) as there may be what they call 'mitigating circumstances' which they can use in your defense

good luck and let me know how you get on, i know my self that street heads can turn it round, i used to be one myself
The Paras or bust.......
ofens

Post by ofens »

In brief.
Everyone has a past, and it can be overlooked if it's not too bad.
It will not do you any favours, but be honest about it if you apply.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Ollie1995

Post by Ollie1995 »

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I'll have to wait until my sentencing date and then make a trip to the careers office.

Thanks, Ollie.
steve ossie

Post by steve ossie »

Ollie1995 wrote:Hello, this is my first post here and I've come for some advice/guidance.

At the end of February I was caught with 7g of Marijuana and some other items that led to my arrest(possession with intent to supply), I am awaiting my sentence so I can't tell you what I have been convicted of at this point but from what I've read it's likely to be a Reprimand and community service due to my age (17) and no previous encounters with the police. I thoroughly regret what I did and am aware that it is likely to restrict my access to the military.

I have read on various webpages that the UK military has a zero tolerance on drugs let alone intent to supply, however upon reading the Army "Can I join" section it wasn't very clear on what their policy was.

Basically, is there any chance at all I will be allowed in or am i buggered?

Thanks for your time, Ollie.

Only advice I can give you is to be up front with them and tell the truth, I had a case against me when I joined never told anyone but they found out 6 months later and was lucky to stay in Good luck