Share This Page:

Green Berets Joining

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Ares-God of War

Green Berets Joining

Post by Ares-God of War »

Can you join the Green Berets straight up or only from other military units. :soldier_armed_comeon1: :soldier_armed_comeon2:

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Sisyphus

Re: Green Berets Joining

Post by Sisyphus »

Well, if you're over 7 years of age you can join your local Scout Group. I'm not sure what the Pakistani joining requirements are?!

Our local pizza delivery service also wear green berets - but I don't think they have any vacancies. :roll:
Ares-God of War

i only ask since i heard that juring the Vietnam war they were. And other special forces allow civilans to join.

So not completly stupid question :-? :( :oops:

Quote Susyphus"I'm not sure what the Pakistani joining requirements are?" End Quote Im not Pakistani??? Its just a cool Avatar picture.

Ares
Last edited by Ares-God of War on Sun 15 May, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tab

Post by Tab »

Are you talking about the Royal Marines or the American Force of that name.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I see where your going with this.
Yes the United States allowed foreign nationals to join the armed forces during the Vietnam war.
They were grunts.No spec.ops. No Delta No Seals No Marine Recon.
Just grunts.
The deal was to serve two tours'IN COUNTRY' ie in combat.Then the D of S would consider you for citizenship provided you jumped through a few more hoops.

That ended with the war.

Hope this helps.
Ares-God of War

Re: Green Berets Rules about Joining

Tab; it was the american unit not marines.

Wholley; thanks question answered :) , PS the foreign nationals was interesting but the part about Pakistanis came from Susyphus, something about pizza delivery????

Ares

Tab

Post by Tab »

My sister lad joined those and rose through the Ranks and is now a Major with them, but he was born in the US.
colmurph

Post by colmurph »

Wholley wrote:I see where your going with this.
Yes the United States allowed foreign nationals to join the armed forces during the Vietnam war.
They were grunts.No spec.ops. No Delta No Seals No Marine Recon.
Just grunts.
The deal was to serve two tours'IN COUNTRY' ie in combat.Then the D of S would consider you for citizenship provided you jumped through a few more hoops.

That ended with the war.

Hope this helps.
During the beginning phases of Special Forces (Before the Beret) in the 1952-1958 time zone, foreign nationals were allowed to join Special Forces under the provisions of the Lodge Act. When I first went into Special Forces there were a lot of senior non-commissioned officers around who had very thick accents, also a few officers. My first "Team Daddy" had been a Fallshirmjaeger in the Whermacht before joining SF. It was a quick way for the Army to get language capability on the teams and a quick way to citizenship for the Lodge Act solldiers. My Team Daddy became an officer during the Korean War and served as an artillellry officer then got caught in a RIF and reverted to NCO. He kept his reserve commission all the years that he was on active duty as a Master Sergeant in SF and shortly before I was put on levy for Vietnam, he was activated in his commissioned grade (Major) and ended up as a staff officer in MACV-SOG. After Vietnam he reverted to NCO again but happily retired as a Major because he finally got his 10 years active duty as an officer.