Share This Page:

Something for you to be aware of

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
harry hackedoff

Something for you to be aware of

Post by harry hackedoff »

Of all the aspects of life in the Corps, this is one which gets little discussion.
With the twenty-fifth anniversary this year, there will be many programmes about the Falklands. Here is a post from Milforums :-?

Heyup.
As a reminder to some of the gonnabees/wannabees about the after effects, I post this here at the request of M`Lord Mikey of Borrolan,
It`s a you tube bite from a programme made in late 86 and the clip features a RM stripey describing the act of clearing Argentine bodies prior to burial.

At the time of the Argy invasion, this lad( Louie A, known to some on here) was a Cpl serving on the Islands in Naval Party 8901. They fought well and eventually the Governor ordered them to surrender. As they boarded the spick Hercky to B.A. the last Booty on the ramp turned to the Argies and told them
”Don`t get too comfy mate. We`ll be back!”
They returned to the Islands as Juliet Coy with the rest of the Bde and the rest is history.

Before you go gobbing off on here, watch this.
This year is the twenty fifth anniversary of the Conflict and there will be lots of this around.
Here`s to those brave young lads who are still Down South.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXVzu6ilEs
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Yep timely posting Harry.....

A reminder to anyone overly gung-ho about what it's really about. and also time to remember others.
xcj

Post by xcj »

Really puts things into perspective.

Not much more I can say really, total respect.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Good to see you posted this over here Harry, i saw it over on military forums and kind of thought it would be good over here as there are far more who are in the process of joining up on this site, and this is well directed at them as a thought before joining, not to discorage anyone but just to inform them.

I think alot of people dont realise and appreciate exactly what it is they are signing up for and what they may one day be asked to do. It kind of doesnt get talked about much does it?

Its also very relevant to things at the present time (what with Afghanistan and Iraq, and the many serving there) and with the revelations coming out at the moment about those who have recently served in tours having to wait up to 18 months for help with mental health problems, it makes the government look like a disgrace (this aside to the hospital treatment of the physically wounded), any soldier who has served his country should expect the best health care available and almost immediately in my opinion.

Its a subject that is close to the bone for me at the moment as my best mate took his own life within 3 months of returning from a tour of Iraq, as it turns out he never made an attempt to get help from withing the Army but it does beg questions as to how well he was monitored and as to whether in fact had he asked how long he would have been waiting?

Anway, its a worthwhile watch and a stark reminder of the after effects of combat and the scars it can leave.

Dwarfy
fodd

Post by fodd »

thanks harry for posting this over here might show some of the wannabees that war is not all glory my mate from RT is in afgan and what he's told me aint good
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Iles

Post by Iles »

Thanks, that's ceartainly made me think but not put me off

Matt
Artist

Post by Artist »

War or a Police Action is the worse thing you can ever take part in. To see your Oppo lying there covered in blood, his guts exposed to the elements looking at you with wide open eyes asking you if he's going to make it is not something you want to see on a regular basis.

The only people who see stuff like that on a daily basis work in Slaughter Houses, the plus for them is that the animals don't ask for help in Human.

In these days blokes who join the Corp are more than likely going to see more action than soft Mick due to Mr B'Liars wish to shove his nose so far up President Bush's arse when it comes to fighting in a foreign land.

Artist
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Artist wrote:a Police Action
Whats that?
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

lodgi wrote:
Artist wrote:a Police Action
Whats that?
I believe he is referring to our situation in Iraq - i could be wrong though.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Try NI.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Frank S. wrote:Try NI.
Not pushing it too far with i hope but isn't it similar to Iraq, Frank? A support role instead of a direct role?

EDIT: I understand what you mean though.
AJ

Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Not at all the same. Yeah technically, you could point out similarities. But it really, truly is apples and oranges.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Frank S. wrote:Not at all the same. Yeah technically, you could point out similarities. But it really, truly is apples and oranges.
Haha! :D alright then. Thats ended that! 8)
AJ

Artist

Post by Artist »

NI (Northern Ireland) was a Police action that lasted from 1969 up until......Who Knows. During the "Police Action" a lot of blokes died.

The worst was that it was like walking up a street in any town in the UK but with the added bonus of some person ready willing and able to fire off a mag of 5.56mm from an Armalite bought by some Yank who supported Noraide in the USA in your direction.

"Nice Old Ladies" would smile at you, and offer you a cup of tea laced with rat poison..............The young element would start a riot at the drop of a hat (they always wore short black trollies as a part of the Young IRA scout troop uniform), Security Forces would turn to to quell the said riot, We would stand there with our crap Flak Jackets, Plastic shields and take it. Then, some IRA/UDA sniper would take out one of our lads............Hated it bigtime, I really did. I felt like I was walking with one arm tied behind my back as did any soldier who served in that shithole during the seventies and eighties.

Once when I was in 42 CDO. M coy turned to to quell a riot. Somehow we got silly and started to sing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" the rioters were confused at our demeaner.......Over a 100 Bootnecks singing like a Welsh male Voice Choir, all in tune and sounding angelic.......................................Then we charged them! :D

The Falklands was the first time I ever Let Rip without the worry of being taken to court for killing somebody. Because in NI if you topped a Local you were classed as a civvy so had to go to court to defend your actions. Did it quite a few times due to the job I did in the dark and distant past.

Artist