Share This Page:

Members' Training Schedules

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Ive stopped doing resistance training, except for lower body exercises - but im even thinking about dropping them at the moment. Every time I go the gym and use weights, I simply get knackered and my muscles stiffen up. Had a chat with a instructor and he said that it may be because my body simply isnt used to lifting heavy weights, and that I should therefore do a lot of bodyweight circuits first in order to develep a level of muslce suitable to resistance training. In other words, im a skinny twat and weights is only going to do me harm at the moment.

The problem is though that I intended to develp a level of muslce in the gym beofre even starting circuit training. And because circuit training itself requires a decent level of cardio fitness for it to be worthwile, im now simply going for long runs (45minutes +) three times a week and not doing anything else apart from a few sit ups and push ups thrown in now and then.

My cardio fitness isnt too bad at the moment though. I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes the other day which for me is good(although no where good enough for PRMC). But ive noticed that my speed is lacking and, like resistance work, it leaves me echausted and isnt giving me much benefit yet. So ive been doing lower body exercises in the gym (leg curl, squats and leg raises mostly), but im going to stop these because my hamstrings have tightened up and now I cantrun for a couple of days.

So my point? Get a level of cardio fitness first, then include circuits. Only then should you include weight training if you want. In my case, trying to do weights or circuits is only going to cause injury.

Ovcourse different people have different objectives. A body builder probably wont be doing any cardio work, while others can lift weights and complete circuits from scratch.

In my opinion, it takes your average joe 6months of hard training to pass PRMC (I only trained for 3 and failed miserably). What that enables is enough time to build all roundfitn- good cardiovascular system and good health (low fat and low cholesterol), good al round endurance and good body strength.

I think too many people are trying to build all 3 up from scratch at the same time, and as a reuslt they are picking up avoidable injuries or failing to achieve and benefit. Start with 2 months on your cardio system, then add a couple of circuits a week (rising up to 3 a week), then add some interval sessions or hill sprints, and only then use weights if you need to.

Cardio fitness, endurance, speed/upper body strength in that order. 6months should be adaquate to get fit considering you dont get seriously injured. Trying to squeexze everything into 3 months of hard traing is just going to overdo it, wont get you fit and will increase the odds that will will get injured.

One lad on my PRMC said to me on the way there that he wished he had done more training beforehand and was therefore only 50% confident. He passed and maxed out on every test. The reason was, he said, was because he trained regulary over years. I on the other hand, trained hard for 3 months and failed, and picked up simple but avoidable injuries in the process.
Skiffle

Increasing an indavidual circuit aspect.

Post by Skiffle »

Been a while since i've posted any training advice so here's somemore.

Struggling with just one area at increasing your maximum and strength ability (E.G. Press ups, Pull Ups). Then this technique should help.

For this example I will use Pull ups as the area most being struggled with. While the best way to help is to work on all the surounding muscle groups and areas (through circuits designed to work the required areas for PRMC- see my earlier posts).

The technique requires that you take a number of the exercise that you can do. Say you can do 5 pull ups maximum but the last two are ones you bust a gut to do. This means you can only do 3 pull ups comfortably. 3 would be come your maximum number of repitions of the exercise.

Using a stop watch, countdown alarm or even an egg timer. You cgoose a time over which you will do the course of the exercise (from 30 mins up to 60 mins). You then set a timer to go off every 5 mins. for the duration of you have choosen you then do 3 repitions of the exercise every 5 mins for 30 mins.

This means you will work the required exercise 21 times within your comfort range while doing 21 pull ups instead of your max 5.

If you find the timings to comforting for you then either:

1) decrease the time between each set of three
2) Increase the number of reps to 4
3) Increse the duration of the workout (upto 60 mins)

Only ever adjust one factor for the workout. Adjusting two can make the workout to hard for the body that may not be ready for that level.

If you find the timings too hard then just adjust in the opposite way (decrease reps or duration or increase time between).

The idea behind this is that you don't do the exercise as a one exercise only circuit. Work the area above its maximum ability without overloading it. Increase the strength and maximums acheived while also including an endurance factor to the exercise.

This routine shopuld never be used as a daily way of increasing the area, all round circuits are better for this (as i've said else where) and may start to overload the area with daily use. It also detracts from other areas needed to be worked.

Never drop the timings to less than 3 mins between rep's and bear in mind that your body may be getting cold between each rep's after any warm up.

The technique works well as you perform far higher number of reps than you may by incorporating them into a circuit. The number of reps is easily acheivable and never too exherting on the body, as can be in a circuit, while ensuring area specific strength.

Any exercise can be done as long as the number of reps is a comfortable number you are able two do and is ideal if you are only just starting out and are struggling to increase your maximum ability. Just make sure you only do it once every 4/5 days as it can take the body a while to adjust to it. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
halford

Post by halford »

some good stuff here thanks.
iv got a question about pressups, i can do the required amount in the right time, with correct form etc. but iv never found them easy as my breathing is all over the place. i tried breathing out on the upwards in on the downwards, but the pace of the pressups is usually too fast for this. any suggestions on correct breathing technique? thanks
halford

Post by halford »

Is anyone on here familiar with the book "Fighting Fit" by Adrian Weale? Its a book about fitness training for SAS selection, but in the back it also has 8 week training regimes for P company and for the Commando Course. Does anyone who has seen it have any alterations they would make to it to improve the results?
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

HI, i have just started to run with 2.5lb ankel weights, as i was told it is good for building up your stamina and pace.
I also got some push ups bars out of pure bordem, and they seem to be ok, i can not do as many as i can do without it, although i think they build up more muscle. :-?

Could anyone shed any light on the above?. (maybe some press up or running tips) {Training for Nov21st PRMC}...

KJ
meister

Post by meister »

Halford,
Had a look at that programme....

My opinion, (and its just that) is that there's too much swimming. Yes, swimming will be part of the training and you dont want to ignore it, but i'd concentrate more on circuits and combine that with running.

Markthestab's idea of exercises between sprints/running will improve your overall fitness, and it was something suggested when guys passed their PMRC a fair few years ago. Like he said, it will hurt but it will prepare you more for beastings than half an hour in the pool will.
_chris

Post by _chris »

meister wrote:Halford,
Had a look at that programme....

My opinion, (and its just that) is that there's too much swimming. Yes, swimming will be part of the training and you dont want to ignore it, but i'd concentrate more on circuits and combine that with running.

Markthestab's idea of exercises between sprints/running will improve your overall fitness, and it was something suggested when guys passed their PMRC a fair few years ago. Like he said, it will hurt but it will prepare you more for beastings than half an hour in the pool will.
While I agree with you to some extent I still believe that swimming is a valuable part of any training routine. I've trained lots in the past etc. and am now training specifically for the marines (hopefully well enough).

What I've always found is to swim in the morning after a hard session (or even immedietly after) helps loosen up stiff muscles gently, as its low impact. But if done right swimming can help improve your cv fitness plus all over body strength.
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Hey guys, I used to run 3 miles every other day, and now i have doubled one day of that to 6miles, as i didnt think i was getting enough satisfaction out of my continuious 3mile runs. I just wanted to know if should should change all the 3 miles to 6, or do more 6miles than 3 miles (sorry for being confusing) :D

Just one more thing, could anyone tell me what kind of distance should i be running in preperation for my PRMC?

Thanks

KJ
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed
PRMC: 21st November 06'
----------------------------------
PB on 3 mile road run is 18:36:08 :D (beasting)
PB on PressUps within 2 minutes is 58
PB on SitUps withing 2 minutes is 64
PB on 6 mile road run is 41:05:81 (steady pace)
Last edited by KJ-Edwards on Mon 06 Nov, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Worthers Original

Post by Worthers Original »

KJ-Edwards wrote:.... could anyone tell me what kind of distance should i be running in preperation for my PRMC?
Personally I would say that one six mile run a week, run at an easy pace to help loosen everything off and shake the fatigue out of your legs would be a good supplement to your training. Hard running over 4 miles doesn't make much sense to me when the furthest you will run on PRMC is 3 miles. It would seem that the demands on PRMC are short intense periods of activity. From accounts of PRMC here even the 3 miler is actually more a warmup run which continues into a harder/faster period followed by a slower period (effective warm down) all rolled together.
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Thanks "Worthers Original".

I will stick to what i am doing.

thanks again

KJ :wink:
Worthers Original

Post by Worthers Original »

No worries.

:)
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Hello all.
I achieved a level 12.7 yestaday on the V02 Max Bleep Test, i should think or atleast hope i will be able to complete level 13 by the time of my PRMC, which is November 21st.

I have been skateboarding for 5 years, so my legs are pretty good, much like you would get from playing football, rugby etc... I think my participation in sport has given me a lift in my running capability, so maybe i could say to those wanting to join the Royals, pick up a sport you enjoy (if you have not already) and hammer it, have fun whilst getting fit. (Obvious i know, just thought i would note it).

The question is: What level do we have to get at PRMC?, or is it just max yourself out and push past your limit and go till you drop?.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Applied AFCO - LONDON: Aug 06'
Phycometric test: Passed
Eye test: Passed - VA1 6/5- (optician said it was above 20/20vision :o )
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed
PRMC: 21st November 06'
----------------------------------
PB on 3 mile road run is 18:36:08 (beasting)
PB on PressUps within 2 minutes is 58
PB on SitUps withing 2 minutes is 64
PB on 6 mile road run is 41:05:81 (steady pace)
Last edited by KJ-Edwards on Mon 06 Nov, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

KJ-Edwards thats one hell of a 3 miler time :o

Best i can manage is 18:06
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

I think the absoloute minimum is 10.something, although some candidates may have to get a minimum of 11 if they did poorly on the pyschometrics.

If you can get a high 12 now then you sould be ok on this but don't forget you'll have done a 3 mile run in the morning so I doubt you'll be 100%.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Thanks JCAP3.

ali_hire, the 3miler and bleep test are conducted on different days now, as said in a diary post on here. (not GIPPERS one).

Even if the bleep test shall happen to be on the same day, i will still max out the 3miler, as i did do wen i done the two one after another myself :D
I will just give it my all whatever the case.

KJ