Share This Page:

2 questions: Any Cops in RMR &has the upper age limit ch

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
yorkshireone

2 questions: Any Cops in RMR &has the upper age limit ch

Post by yorkshireone »

HI...

The first question really is asking if any full time police have been able to get RMR authorised...?

Secondly, ive read elsewhere on this forum of a 40 yr old recruit..!

I trained for about 18 months at Tyne in the early ninetys, but injured an ankle at Lymptsone and had to come away early. Then my job moved me away from Tyne back down to Doncaster. Now that there is a detachment at Leeds its quite possible for me to pick this up but my age (39) would appear to be against me unless I can play the "previous experience" card.

any info, official or otherwise gratefully received...?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Moved by Doc

come on plod, here be the RMR section

Welcome aboard and hope someone can help you

Also try www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums its moreso for our generation and also has a RMR section, its our sister site.

Doc
yorkshireone

Post by yorkshireone »

just read the other threads with regard to upper age limits..

so im just wondering if anyone on here has experience of what criteria are applied and how difficult it is to join after 32.
cheers..
yorkshireone

Post by yorkshireone »

cheers doc...

didnt know about the other site.. i'll take a look..
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Hey mate im in holding troop at the minute. There is a chap there that is 36 with no previous military experience, and he is aloud to train with us. He had to pass a few fitness tests first though (had to shine at the holding troop nights). So if your phiz is up there I dont see why not. Get in contact with your local det and see what they say, argue your case as much as you can and say you will prove to them that you can do it, by attending holding troop.
Pendo

Post by Pendo »

Theres quite a few coppers in my troop at mersey mate.
marco

Age and selection

Post by marco »

I may well have been the 40 yr old going through selection that you heard of although I'm now 43. I had previous full-time (9 years) Forces experience and the colonel took a chance based on an interview.

Passed through selection and induction ok, another guy was on selection at 36 (ex regular Army) but he failed to get through. Much harder to recover from the constant thrashings was my main concern.

Whole thing from holding troop to RFCC is about 18 months (don't know where the 8-10 months bit comes from, that's only about phase 2). You will need masses of determination just to last the course, the weekends, especially in phase 1 are complete b*****ds to get through due to the incessant thrashings.

We had 70 on selection and I think about 4 guys made it to RFCC. That's the reality.
yorkshireone

Post by yorkshireone »

Thanks for that Marco...

i remember weekends at Otterburn VERY well....!!

i was so pissed off at being RTU'd on phase 1 (injured ankle after a trip..!!) tho. Im just glad Ive even a sniff at a second chance. I have spoken to AFCO and things look okayish. Just waiting for the nod now from my job.

I'm currently hard it getting my phys something like, and Im aiming for first intake after new year. Ive no delousions over the task ahead though. But if my body holds up to what im doing at the moment, ive half a chance.!
cheers...
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

There are several serving Police officers in RMR Scotland, you might have a few problems attending drill nights and weekends as a recruit.

The upper age limit can be waved by the OC if he feels you are worth it.

Hope this helps.